The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 04, 2014, 12:23pm
C'mon man!!

Unmarked starters for JV game

Had a JV game last night and was checking the book at 12 minutes. Noted the visiting team didn't have starters marked. Asked the visiting team if he had the starters and he said no. I said well you've got about a minute to get them.

One of the ACs was over hearing this as the team and HC were in the locker room. He says, "Really? For a JV game? We've never had to have them marked all season." my reply, "well we are today."

Thoughts on how I handled this. And.... Go.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2014, 12:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Had a JV game last night and was checking the book at 12 minutes. Noted the visiting team didn't have starters marked. Asked the visiting team if he had the starters and he said no. I said well you've got about a minute to get them.

One of the ACs was over hearing this as the team and HC were in the locker room. He says, "Really? For a JV game? We've never had to have them marked all season." my reply, "well we are today."

I'm sure some will be surprised I'm saying this, but I'd say, "Well, we are today. Please mark them."
Old Thu Dec 04, 2014, 01:50pm
We don't rent pigs

I've called JV games that didn't even have a book.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Dec 04, 2014, 02:06pm
Back from the DL

I'm all for more leniency of such things in sub-varsity games, but not having the starters marked at all? At the risk of putting a song in people's heads, I can't go for that.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2014, 02:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm sure some will be surprised I'm saying this, but I'd say, "Well, we are today. Please mark them."
Had a T on this a couple of years ago in a JV game. The book was filled out except for the V starters, and the visiting team had disappeared until about 3 minutes left.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2014, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

One option on this is to just select the first 5 in the book (or some other combination).

then, when the coach finally gets around to it, he gets the choice of starting who is in the book or taking the T. if you don't mark anything, he doesn't get a choice -- it's going to be a T.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2014, 03:14pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
One option on this is to just select the first 5 in the book (or some other combination).

then, when the coach finally gets around to it, he gets the choice of starting who is in the book or taking the T. if you don't mark anything, he doesn't get a choice -- it's going to be a T.
I wanted to give him a choice and the AC waddled off to find out who. They got it taken care of.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2014, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Asked the visiting team if he had the starters and he said no.
I said well you've got about a minute to get them.

One of the ACs was over hearing this as the team and HC were in the locker room. He says, "Really? For a JV game
my reply, "well we are today."

Me personally, it's more of a non-confrontaioanl conversation along these lines….

Well coach, by rule, you need to mark your starters now.
Yeah coach, by rule, JV, Varsity, it doesn't matter. The starters for both teams need to be marked during pre-game by the 10 minute mark or its a T and the other team would get to start the game shooting two from the line and getting the ball.
Just feel its a more professional sounding response to a coach's questioning of a rule.

Last edited by KJUmp; Thu Dec 04, 2014 at 07:00pm.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2014, 05:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

I would not care about this unless the coach did. I have worked JV games where no fouls were kept.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 04, 2014, 08:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

One of the ACs was over hearing this as the team and HC were in the locker room. He says, "Really? For a JV game? ....
The first time he complained about a call, my response would be "Really? For a JV game?"
Old Thu Dec 04, 2014, 10:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would not care about this unless the coach did. I have worked JV games where no fouls were kept.

Peace
Unless it's one of those JV games where fouls aren't kept, we're going to require starters to be marked. At least where I work.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

I would ask for starters to be marked at JV games around here. I can imagine a lot of officials wouldn't bother with a T if they didn't mark them though.

On this topic somewhat: I had two games in a tournament tonight. I'm the R for the first game and we come on the court. Both teams are in blue uniforms. We ask one of the kids what the deal is. They had brought blue instead of white like they were supposed to, so someone had to go get their whites. I went over at about the 11:00 mark to check the book. I went to that team's head coach and asked if their white uniforms had the same numbers as the blue uniforms they had on at the time, and he says they do.

Sure enough they go change with about 5 minutes on the clock. At about the 2:00 mark I see their head coach with a pencil in his hand at the table. Rut-roh. We go over and I ask the scorer what they did. They had changed a player's number to reflect the white jerseys. The scorer told me the other coach was fine with it but didn't really know what to do. We started the game with two free throws.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 12:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Unless it's one of those JV games where fouls aren't kept, we're going to require starters to be marked. At least where I work.
I understand, just saying the JV games are often some of the more laid back games. Usually these games are Saturday morning and they piece together players for the games. I even had a team on time show up late (bus did not pick up team in at a proper time. We sat for about 40 minutes and when the game started, we did two running clock halves. This is not always the case, but often not a huge deal with if we do what we can to allow the kids to play.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I understand, just saying the JV games are often some of the more laid back games. Usually these games are Saturday morning and they piece together players for the games. I even had a team on time show up late (bus did not pick up team in at a proper time. We sat for about 40 minutes and when the game started, we did two running clock halves. This is not always the case, but often not a huge deal with if we do what we can to allow the kids to play.

Peace
In most areas JV games are the equivalent of IL (at least Chicagoland) Soph games -- that is, the game that's played before the varsity game. In IL, the administrative procedures for Soph games are "more by the book" than for the JV games.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I would ask for starters to be marked at JV games around here. I can imagine a lot of officials wouldn't bother with a T if they didn't mark them though.

On this topic somewhat: I had two games in a tournament tonight. I'm the R for the first game and we come on the court. Both teams are in blue uniforms. We ask one of the kids what the deal is. They had brought blue instead of white like they were supposed to, so someone had to go get their whites. I went over at about the 11:00 mark to check the book. I went to that team's head coach and asked if their white uniforms had the same numbers as the blue uniforms they had on at the time, and he says they do.

Sure enough they go change with about 5 minutes on the clock. At about the 2:00 mark I see their head coach with a pencil in his hand at the table. Rut-roh. We go over and I ask the scorer what they did. They had changed a player's number to reflect the white jerseys. The scorer told me the other coach was fine with it but didn't really know what to do. We started the game with two free throws.
I'd T the team that did NOT bring the white uniforms, and NOT T the team that changed uniforms, even if that resulted in a number change.

See 3.4.1A

Last edited by bob jenkins; Fri Dec 05, 2014 at 08:59am.