The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Had it happen once, three years ago in a BV game. Home team's starting PG had a maroon long sleeved shirt under his white jersey. Told HC the kid couldn't play with the shirt on (didn't see it until we were getting ready for the jump-ball because of the warm-up jersey). Kid starts to take off the jersey at the bench. I tell the HC he can't do that or else it's a T. I tell HC give me a sub and tell the kid to go change in the hallway.

The most annoying part about the scenario was my partner thought the maroon shirt was okay since it was one of the colors in the home team's jersey. Sigh...
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
Sure enough if I didn't read this yesterday and then have it happen last night. All of the starters were ok...but about 5 minutes into the 1st Q, A6 comes into the game with a green jersey and black t-shirt. I step in and ask the young man to go take it off...HC says he looked it up before the game and it can be black, white or jersey color...one partner says he isn't sure, R says just leave it alone. There I was on my own little island...SMH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I don't tend to be an O.O.O. Just hate it for the phone to ring and it being my assigner on the other end. Cuz his first question is gonna be, "Can I support your decision by rule?"
And there's the rub. egj13, I feel your pain but if you were 100% sure you were right - and you were - go for it. If the assignor calls and asks - and some might - at least you did your due diligence, especially if the R told you to leave it alone.

BTW, there's an NCAAW coordinator - and, presumably, a crew - who received a call last night from the SRE because officials allowed the following in a D1 game:

The eyes are everywhere.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 08:13am
Courageous When Prudent

For those who do not have the list of acronyms, SRE = secretary rules editor.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 10:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

SMFH, y'all are some frickin' jinxes.

First HS assignment of season. BJV/BV DH. I'm R for JV game. Both teams wearing wam up tops for lay up line. As I'm getting ready to administer opening tap, U2 holds me up. 2 home team players are wearing black t-shirts. I send them off to change and they remain starters.

Funny thing is that it turns out the JV coach thought the sleeve rule applied to t-shirt sleeves, not to the actual shooting sleeves.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 10:25pm
AremRed

Had a JV/Varsity doubleheader tonight. Corrected undershirts of both Varsity teams. Spotted one on the visitors right before the national anthem; coach said thanks for enforcing what he keeps telling this kid. Spotted one on the home team at the first dead ball, made him leave and change. Later in the first half I was near the visiting coach and said "did you see me make them change too?" Coach replied he wanted my number cuz I was an official who followed the rules.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 04:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

First HS assignment of season. BJV/BV DH. I'm R for JV game. Both teams wearing wam up tops for lay up line. As I'm getting ready to administer opening tap, U2 holds me up. 2 home team players are wearing black t-shirts. I send them off to change and they remain starters.

Funny thing is that it turns out the JV coach thought the sleeve rule applied to t-shirt sleeves, not to the actual shooting sleeves.
I don't know why they don't just change the undershirt rule to match the arm sleeve rule. I can't see why and black arm sleeve would really be any different than a black t-shirt.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I don't know why they don't just change the undershirt rule to match the arm sleeve rule. I can't see why and black arm sleeve would really be any different than a black t-shirt.
I agree. I also think that the visiting team should not be allowed to wear white sleeves.

I'd support "if worn, the home team headbands, wristbands, visible undergarments and sleeves must all be white. Those worn by the visiting team must be black or the color of the jersey."
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 10:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I think they should make the sleeve rule match the undershirt rule.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 10:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

Common Sense ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
... "if worn, the home team headbands, wristbands, visible undergarments and sleeves must all be white. Those worn by the visiting team must be black or the color of the jersey."
A Fashion Police rule that I can live with. Rational, and easy to interpret, explain, teach, and follow.

And beige has to go. I'm sure that the color was included in the rule several years ago due to the fact that it was the most common color for prewrap at the time, but now prewrap comes in all the colors of the rainbow, and more. Plus beige is a stupid color, plain, and boring. And how many teams do you see with beige uniforms? Welcome to Millard Fillmore High School, the home of the Beige Drabs. The color beige doesn't belong in basketball, or any other sport.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 06, 2014 at 11:23am.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 11:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Undershirts And Arm Sleeves ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Agree.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I could go with that too.

However, I think the black/white inclusion would probably never be removed because those are the easiest colors to obtain. Jersey colored sleeves just may not be readily available for some colors.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

I don't like playing fashion police. At a JV game, Team A (the home team) was wearing warm-ups in their pre-game; at the captains meeting, coaches certified that everyone was legal and properly unformed. As we get ready for the tip, I notice A1 with a white undershirt but A2 with a black undershirt. I quietly ask the visiting coach if he wants me to make an issue of A2, he says no, so we play on. In the JV game before ours, one kid had a camo undershirt.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 05:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Play Kick The Can Down The Road ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
I don't like playing fashion police. At a JV game, Team A (the home team) was wearing warm-ups in their pre-game; at the captains meeting, coaches certified that everyone was legal and properly unformed. As we get ready for the tip, I notice A1 with a white undershirt but A2 with a black undershirt. I quietly ask the visiting coach if he wants me to make an issue of A2, he says no, so we play on. In the JV game before ours, one kid had a camo undershirt.
So you're taking advice from a coach rather than fixing the problem for the next group of officials, officials who do not ignore simple "Fashion Police" rules, that work Team A's future games.

I don't like playing "Fashion Police" either, but I do it. I don't want to be the official that the coach talks about when he says, "but the official at Tuesday night's game let us wear those undershirts."

Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 06:02pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Eventually they are going to run into people that do follow the rules. Not doing it yourself just makes the problem worse.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 07:26pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So you're taking advice from a coach rather than fixing the problem for the next group of officials, officials who do not ignore simple "Fashion Police" rules, that work Team A's future games.

I don't like playing "Fashion Police" either, but I do it. I don't want to be the official that the coach talks about when he says, "but the official at Tuesday night's game let us wear those undershirts."

Billy:

I could not have said it better.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio