The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

I have never asked a coach if he was okay with something the other team was doing. Bad habit to get into.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 10:10pm
Back from the DL

FWIW, there's a loophole to this rule that's come in handy in middle school contests, where uniforms can be a little big, and upper body skin is sensitive subject matter.

If a player has an illegally colored undershirt, I ask, "Coach, follow me now, is she wearing that t-shirt for religious reasons?" Once the answer is yes, we're off the hook.

I don't do this in a high school game.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 10:14pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
FWIW, there's a loophole to this rule that's come in handy in middle school contests, where uniforms can be a little big, and upper body skin is sensitive subject matter.

If a player has an illegally colored undershirt, I ask, "Coach, follow me now, is she wearing that t-shirt for religious reasons?" Once the answer is yes, we're off the hook.

I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but I've never heard of a t-shirt being worn for religious reasons. Underwear? Yes. But t-shirts?

How about having coaches and players just follow the rules? They learn, and you don't create headaches for other officials that actually care for the rules.

With that said, if I'm told that something is worn for religious reasons, then I'm not going to push it. But I'm sure as hell not going to present a loophole... I'm not their lawyer.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

there is not a loophole and you are not off the hook. you can get a religous exception for headwear for sure and likely other things but you have to go through the official state association to get it. you cant just show up on game day and declare religion...

and if it was religious the player could probably get the proper colored shirt.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 10:48pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKillian View Post
Rich, how would you manage the sub with an illegal t-shirt? 4 minutes into the game, first sub for the team? Not at the end of the game and someone who never gets to play.
Don't let them in. Tell the coach he can't come in until the shirt is changed. Coach will send him to locker room and get it changed. I'm going to manage the game.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2014, 07:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

3-5 Note And Exception ...

Quote:
... there's a loophole to this rule ... If a player has an illegally colored undershirt, I ask, "Coach, follow me now, is she wearing that t-shirt for religious reasons?" Once the answer is yes, we're off the hook.
Sorry bainsey. No NFHS loophole for undershirts for religious reasons. See your tax accountant and he may be able to come up with a more acceptable loophole.

NOTE: Each state association may, in keeping with applicable laws, authorize exceptions
to NFHS playing rules to provide reasonable accommodations to individual participants
with disabilities and/or special needs, as well as those individuals with unique and
extenuating circumstances. The accommodations should not fundamentally alter the
sport, allow an otherwise illegal piece of equipment, create risk to the athlete/others or
place opponents at a disadvantage.

EXCEPTION: State associations may on an individual basis permit a player to participate
while wearing a head covering if it meets the following criteria:
a. For medical or cosmetic reasons – In the event a participant is required by a licensed
medical physician to cover his/her head with a covering or wrap, the physician's
statement is required before the state association can approve a covering or wrap
which is not abrasive, hard or dangerous to any other player and which is attached
in such a way it is highly unlikely that it will come off during play.
b. For religious reasons – In the event there is documented evidence provided to the
state association that a participant may not expose his/her uncovered head, the state
association may approve a covering or wrap which is not abrasive, hard or
dangerous to any other player and which is attached in such a way it is highly
unlikely it will come off during play.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 08, 2014, 01:35pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Sorry bainsey. No NFHS loophole for undershirts for religious reasons. See your tax accountant and he may be able to come up with a more acceptable loophole.
I should have prefaced this with "check local listings," a.k.a. "Roman law applies." Some readers have associations that allow for leniency; some don't.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2014, 01:44pm
Stubborn Member

Don't let the inmates run the asylum.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2014, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I should have prefaced this with "check local listings," a.k.a. "Roman law applies." Some readers have associations that allow for leniency; some don't.
i don't recommend ever saying "Coach, follow me now…"