The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 10:55pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Apparel questions.

1. V team is wearing blue jerseys. 3 v players are wearing white arm sleeves. However another V player had a blue underarmor shirt that has long blue compression type sleeves. Is this legal since all players "arm sleeves" don't match or does the shirt sleeves not count as an arm sleeve?

2 when reading the case book I ran across 3.5.4. It basically says team a schools colors are blue and gold but predominate uniform color is white. It says they are wearing blue headbands and wristbands. The book calls this legal? Shouldn't they be illegal as they are not white, black, beige or a predominant school color?

Last edited by jeremy341a; Sun Dec 07, 2014 at 12:01am.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 11:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Undershirts are a separate rule from arm/headbands & sleeves.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Dec 07, 2014 at 11:17am.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 11:18pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
when reading the case book I ran across 3.5.4. It basically says team a schools colors are blue and gold but predominate uniform color is white. It says they are wearing blue headbands and wristbands. The book calls this legal? Shouldn't they be illegal as they are not white, black, beige or a school color?
I don't understand your question here. You said blue is a school color, and that a school color is allowed, but then don't understand why they are legal. Huh?

I'm guessing your question revolves around the fact that the wristbands and headbands are not the predominant color of the uniform. Well, as you pointed out, the rule doesn't say the wrist/headbands have to be the predominant color... just a school color. The predominant thing has to do with the undershirt or undershorts/tights.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1. V team is wearing blue jerseys. 3 v players are wearing white arm sleeves. However another V player had a blue underarmor shirt that has long blue compression type sleeves. Is this legal since all players "arm sleeves" don't match or does the shirt sleeves not count as an arm sleeve?
Long sleeve undershirts that match predomninant color of uniform are ok in high school. in college (men anyway) undershirts cannot go past the elbow....but you can wear arm sleeves....
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 12:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I don't understand your question here. You said blue is a school color, and that a school color is allowed, but then don't understand why they are legal. Huh?

I'm guessing your question revolves around the fact that the wristbands and headbands are not the predominant color of the uniform. Well, as you pointed out, the rule doesn't say the wrist/headbands have to be the predominant color... just a school color. The predominant thing has to do with the undershirt or undershorts/tights.
Yes I screwed up and forgot to add predominant in my original post I edited it. The rule for headbands wristbands does say predominant color. Yet in case book it isn't predominant color or white or black or beige yet it says legal. That is where I'm confused.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 12:18am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Yes I screwed up and forgot to add predominant in my original post I edited it. The rule for headbands wristbands does say predominant color. Yet in case book it isn't predominant color or white or black or beige yet it says legal. That is where I'm confused.
Hmm...

I read the rule book, and it does say that a wrist/headband has to be the predominant color of the uniform (or black, white, beige). I would have swore it just had to be a school color, not necessarily the predominant uniform color.

It's not listed as a rule change, but it's shaded as if it is one.

So I don't know. Sorry for saying you were wrong. I guess at this point we don't know if the case play is based on the old rule, or if the rule is written wrong.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 12:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Hmm...

I read the rule book, and it does say that a wrist/headband has to be the predominant color of the uniform (or black, white, beige). I would have swore it just had to be a school color, not necessarily the predominant uniform color.

It's not listed as a rule change, but it's shaded as if it is one.

So I don't know. Sorry for saying you were wrong. I guess at this point we don't know if the case play is based on the old rule, or if the rule is written wrong.

It's all good. Usually I am wrong. I speculate the casebook wasn't updated with new rule. I only run onto it while looking for an answer to my first question of does undershirt sleeves also count as arm sleeves.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
2 when reading the case book I ran across 3.5.4. It basically says team a schools colors are blue and gold but predominate uniform color is white. It says they are wearing blue headbands and wristbands. The book calls this legal? Shouldn't they be illegal as they are not white, black, beige or a predominant school color?
I wrote an email and NFHS informed me the case book was incorrect.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 03:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
I wrote an email and NFHS informed me the case book was incorrect.
Yes, the alteration to 3-5-4 is an unannounced rule change this season. It is a good one though as there is no decent way for a game official to know the school colors for a particular institution. What if the school is visiting from out of state and just wearing black uniforms? So the committee wisely changed from a school color to the predominant color of the uniform.

The notice from the NFHS correcting the Case Book ruling is posted in the NFHS website with the Interpretations for this season.

Robert B. Gardner, Publisher, NFHS Publications © 2014

Rule Book Corrections: Page 2, 2014-15 NFHS Basketball Rules Changes, 9-1-4g should read 9-1-3g.
Page 55, Rule 9-1-4, Delete.
Case Book Corrections:
Pages 25-26, 3.5.4 SITUATION, RULING Correction: illegal equipment in (a); the blue headbands and wristbands do not match the predominant color of the uniform (white).
Page 29, 4.14.1D SITUATION, RULING Correction: Officials notify the Team A coach of the disqualification and allow a substitute for A1. The points made by A1 will stand. B3 is allowed to shoot the free throws for the technical foul and Team B is given the ball at half court to continue the game. (4-14-2; 2-11-5 Note)
Page 70, 9.1 COMMENT: Sentence 2 should read: Once a free throw begins no player may enter or leave a marked lane space or break with either foot the vertical plane of a free throw lane line or lane space boundary prior to the release of the ball by the free thrower. Delete last sentence.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 09:03am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
It's predominant color of uniform, not the school.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The notice from the NFHS correcting the Case Book ruling is posted in the NFHS website with the Interpretations for this season.
The interps and corrections are also posted on this website.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 10:49am

What about question one. Are the different sleeves on the undershirt not considered arm sleeves for the purpose of matching all other sleeves or are the required to meet the rules for undershirts and sleeves?
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 10:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

Red Is The New Blue ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
It is a good one though as there is no decent way for a game official to know the school colors for a particular institution.
Bingo. The official school colors of my hometown high school are blue and white, and have been the school colors going all the way back to the 1940's. I used to teach in the system, my kids went to school there, and I know this for a fact. Over the past thirty years some uniforms have included red piping as an additional color, an "unofficial" school color. Several years ago, a new head football coach outfitted the team with red helmets. At the time I was tending bar at a local country club. You should have heard the barfly old timers complaining about the red helmets. It didn't matter whether the new coach, and the team, were doing well, or not, it was those damn red helmets, and red was not a school color.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 07, 2014 at 11:26am.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 11:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

Stupid NFHS ...

Quote:
Are the different sleeves on the undershirt not considered arm sleeves for the purpose of matching all other sleeves or are the required to meet the rules for undershirts and sleeves?
Apparently, no. These fashion guidelines are in two different rules. We all know the difference between sleeveless undershirts, and undershirts with sleeves, but the NFHS must not believe that undershirts have "sleeves".

Now check this out. What's the difference between compression shorts, that must be above the knee, and the same color as the uniform shorts; and short tights, that may be of any length (including short, i.e., above the knee), and must be white, black, beige, or the predominate color of the uniform jersey? Go ahead and tell me the difference. Please.

BillyMac: "Young man, you're not allowed to wear those gold tights because they are not white, black, beige, or the predominate color of your blue uniform jersey."
Player: "These are not tights, Mr. handsome official, they're gold compression shorts, and they match the gold color of my uniform shorts."
BillyMac: "Could you please get me a towel so that I may wipe the egg off my face. And I don't care what color the towel is."

Doesn't the NFHS think these things through before making final decisions on rule changes? Why can't they simplify these "color" rules for the benefit of officials, coaches, and players? I don't care if they make the "color" rules stricter, or less strict, but just make them simpler to understand, and interpret, and maybe, with a little bit of common sense, with "rule language" similar to the "everyday language" of officials, coaches, players, and the parents that probably purchase most of these fashion accessories. This shouldn't be rocket surgery, or brain science.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 07, 2014 at 11:41am.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 11:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
What about question one. Are the different sleeves on the undershirt not considered arm sleeves for the purpose of matching all other sleeves or are the required to meet the rules for undershirts and sleeves?
Already answered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Undershirts are a separate rule from arm/headbands & sleeves.