The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 22, 2014, 08:54pm
This IS My Social Life

Consequence of 10-6-12

First official game today, a GV matchup with two teams very well coached in regards to rule 10-6-12. Our crew was ready to call what they want called with this "new" rule and did so when necessary. But the need to do so wasn't as frequent as we would have thought. The coaches seemed to have prepared the players for what not to do as far as that new rule.
What I did find we may not have been quite so prepared for was the frequency of RSBQ fouls with contact to the torso with defenders moving in front of dribblers. They minimized the "handsy" stuff, but maximized the torso stuff. More of those fouls than I recall ever having called before. We got three or four (haven't reviewed the video yet) charges when contact was initiated by the dribbler, but by far the fouls most numerous were RSBQ fouls out top.
Wasn't this way at any of the six camps I attended this summer, but that was back when none of the coaches really "got the memo" yet, so we just kept bangin' 10-6-12 fouls until they adjusted by force. Was different today.
On the trip home, I remembered a recent offering by Dave Hall Officiating (www.davehallofficiating.com) entitled "Belly Bump". That article stated quite well what we tonight found to be prevalent. New rule 10-6-12, with teams well coached on it, led to more RSBQ foul calls out on the perimeter than before.
We'll be a little more prepared for it next game.
Just wondered if anyone else experienced the same.

Last edited by Freddy; Sat Nov 22, 2014 at 08:58pm.
Old Sat Nov 22, 2014, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

It's the natural progression of things. They can't tag BH/dribblers which means they have to play defense with their feet. If the BH/dribbler is faster than the defender you'll end up with more RSBQ fouls. Eventually those slow down a bit because kids realize who they can and can't cover.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Nov 22, 2014, 11:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not see anything that is so drastic because of this new rule. I just called fouls when they happen and already was considering RSBQ anyway. These rules just make the fouls easier to call and be supported by the rule.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 23, 2014, 01:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Three games this week.

We called more fouls. Middle game we were in the bonus both ways at the end of the first quarter. Last night the fouls were 8 to 1 after one.

I had one sequence where I had 2 hands, 2 touches, and an extended forearm in under 90 seconds of clock time.

They'll adjust.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2014, 10:56am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

I had an 8th grade boys game this week where I called an arm bar foul.

Coach: "You're calling that? "
Me: "It's a new rule, coach."

Yeah, it's not a new rule, per se, but given the wording has moved from the POE to Rule 10, it seems easier to explain it as a new rule.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Nov 23, 2014, 04:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
On the trip home, I remembered a recent offering by Dave Hall Officiating (Dave Hall Officiating | Basketball Officiating) entitled "Belly Bump". That article stated quite well what we tonight found to be prevalent. New rule 10-6-12, with teams well coached on it, led to more RSBQ foul calls out on the perimeter than before.
We'll be a little more prepared for it next game.
Just wondered if anyone else experienced the same.
Over the last couple seasons on the NCAA-M's side, we've had commentary from John Adams concerning body bumping replacing hand-checking
Old Sun Nov 23, 2014, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Over the last couple seasons on the NCAA-M's side, we've had commentary from John Adams concerning body bumping replacing hand-checking
Same on the NCAAW side -- and it's not as much of an issue anymore.

I'd expect it to be similar in FED.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2014, 09:55pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I'll agree with your Freddy.

While our regular season doesn't start until next week, the players seem to be adapting to the hands off approach, and are bellying up a bit more as they try and stay with the offensive player after getting beaten. Maybe they'll adjust to that too and get smarter. Definitely something to keep an eye on and discuss in pre-games.

Last edited by grunewar; Mon Nov 24, 2014 at 05:07am.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 03:48am
This IS My Social Life

Play Defense With Your........

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Maybe they'll adjust to teat too . . .
Yes, they appear to be using that part of their bodies, too.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 05:08am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Yes, they appear to be using that part of their bodies, too.
Changed the typo.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I'll agree with your Freddy.

While our regular season doesn't start until next week, the players seem to be adapting to the hands off approach, and are bellying up a bit more as they try and stay with the offensive player after getting beaten. Maybe they'll adjust to that too and get smarter. Definitely something to keep an eye on and discuss in pre-games.
I had a scrimmage on Saturday where the 1st quarter was a comedy of fouls on both sides in violation of the new rules (10-6-12). The next couple of quarters went well. Then, the players began to body up to make the defensive stops, and ugliness returned to reign supreme. Ugh!! The good thing about it all was that the coaches were on board with the new rules.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 11:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

One of our coaches got frustrated when I called an extended forearm in the second half. They were up 30+ points and when the bench came in, they started fouling like the starters did in the first quarter before adjusting.

I hope they adjust sooner rather than later. It's no fun calling these fouls, that's for certain.