The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Reviewing the Play - Unintended Consequence

Had a strange situation this afternoon, and was wondering if my interpretation is in line with NCAA-M rules.

A1 gets fouled on a 3pt attempt, and the shot is missed. B's Coach pleads with U2 to go to the monitor to check whether it was a 2 or a 3. After the 1st shot (made), U2 goes over to the R (administering the FT) and the R says 'no way, it was clearly a 3.' After the 2nd shot (missed), coach is still yapping, so the R goes over to talk to him. After discussion, the R agrees to go to the monitor, which shows that it was clearly a 3pt attempt.

Now, I'm guessing that the R would only go over at that point if he was certain it was a 3PA. Had the replay shown A1's foot on the line, though, we've now shot our two shots, so would we use the AP arrow to determine possession?
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Wow. I'm sure he was positive it was a 3 and was just babysitting the coach...but if the replay showed it was a 2 pt attempt then I don't see why they would go to the arrow assuming *someone* took possession off the 2nd FT miss...I guess.

Anyway, good post. I'll file this away for future reference.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Wow. I'm sure he was positive it was a 3 and was just babysitting the coach...but if the replay showed it was a 2 pt attempt then I don't see why they would go to the arrow assuming *someone* took possession off the 2nd FT miss...I guess.

Nobody took possession on the 2nd throw because they were all waiting for the 3rd.

I don't know the NCAA rules, but I can't imagine any way to end this hypothetical sequence without going to the AP.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref

Except that someone was the lead official.

I guess the moral of the story is to go before the shots (but I agree it was just babysitting).