The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 04, 2012, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Lithuania v. USA: Possession Consequence

http://www.aromascatering.net/apg/Po...vsLituania.wmv

Agree or disagree with the rebounding foul here?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Aug 04, 2012, 03:02pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

If the video and audio are in sync:
There's a whistle well before the L raises his arm or moves his body. I think it's from the new C.

Given that two officials had a whistle, I'm going with a CC given the FIBA training videos that I've seen.
Was the white player in danger of not obtaining the defensive rebound? No, I do not believe he was. However, FIBA doesn't like the type of silliness which the foul was. It's not surprising to me that it was called.
Old Sat Aug 04, 2012, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Seems to be a problem with A/V sync...the whistle was definitely from the lead.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sat Aug 04, 2012, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
http://www.aromascatering.net/apg/Po...vsLituania.wmv

Agree or disagree with the rebounding foul here?
Since my first thought watching at full speed was "wait, who did he call the foul on?" I guess my answer would be disagree.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Aug 04, 2012, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Incorrect call. The only foul on that play was a hold by the while player. He arm was extended horizontally preventing the blue player from getting by. The contact with with the while player's extended forearm.

White foul or nothing.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Aug 05, 2012 at 11:45am.
Old Sat Aug 04, 2012, 08:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

I can see why LeBron was upset. That was not a foul on James in any way. As stated it looks like he is getting held if anything and I would likely pass on any foul because it affected nothing on the play.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 04, 2012, 08:32pm
Back from the DL

I didn't like the call when I watched today; even less seeing it now.

Maybe it's just me, but I see a lot more fouls called in this tournament that I would have let go, particuarly those on a defender when the contact doesn't hinder the dribbler. I don't mind a "knock it off" call here and there (particularly off the ball), but when a contact doesn't hinder a ball handler making his move, it just seems like unnecessary whistles when done generally.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2012, 04:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I didn't like the call when I watched today; even less seeing it now.

Maybe it's just me, but I see a lot more fouls called in this tournament that I would have let go, particuarly those on a defender when the contact doesn't hinder the dribbler. I don't mind a "knock it off" call here and there (particularly off the ball), but when a contact doesn't hinder a ball handler making his move, it just seems like unnecessary whistles when done generally.
Just been my observation:

During this tournament, there's a lot of incidental contact (or what I would deem so) called fouls...especially during post play. I've seen a lot of freedom of movement plays that have been called...but only if the action is around the ball (pick and rolls, slip screens, body bumps on the ball handler). Again, as I'm not familiar with how FIBA gives direction to their officials, maybe they've directed their officials to go in a different direction than what we're seeing in the different American codes.

As far as the play goes, I can see why LeBron was perplexed about the call (as JRut said). There was no possession consequence as a result of that contact. And watching the game, there was no rough play that needed to be cleaned up. Also, I agree with others that IF there was going to be a foul to call, the first call would be on the Lituania player. But even that contact, IMO, doesn't rise to the the level of a foul.

Last edited by APG; Sun Aug 05, 2012 at 04:07am.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2012, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

I think that, more than anything, the lead didn't get a good look at the play and call what he though he saw out of the corner of his eye. His primary focus should have been on the other players closer to him and that should have been the C's decision to make.

For a moment, I even thought it appeared as if he was watching the flight of the ball....his head appears to be a little to tilted upward for anything else.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2012, 05:59pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I think that, more than anything, the lead didn't get a good look at the play and call what he though he saw out of the corner of his eye. His primary focus should have been on the other players closer to him and that should have been the C's decision to make.
I agree, only problem is there is no C to be found. The old T never rotated done in conjunction with the Lead.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2012, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I agree, only problem is there is no C to be found. The old T never rotated done in conjunction with the Lead.
True, but isn't a good reason for the lead to look back across after he rotated on a shot to call a foul that was wrong.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

For a moment, I even thought it appeared as if he was watching the flight of the ball....his head appears to be a little to tilted upward for anything else.
Which makes the situation that much more confusing because he had just run to get ballside (for no reason, as far as I'm concerned) on the shot and then called back across the lane.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 07:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
True, but isn't a good reason for the lead to look back across after he rotated on a shot to call a foul that was wrong.
Didn't say it was. But it's hard to say the 'C' should/shouldn't have a whistle when they are nowhere near where they need to be to ref the play. That was just as noticeable to me as the Lead's call.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 09:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Didn't say it was. But it's hard to say the 'C' should/shouldn't have a whistle when they are nowhere near where they need to be to ref the play. That was just as noticeable to me as the Lead's call.
I have not been overly impressed with overall mechanics in this Olympics. That being said I have not been glued to the TV either for this event. I usually catch a few minutes and mainly tried to watch the US games.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have not been overly impressed with overall mechanics in this Olympics. That being said I have not been glued to the TV either for this event. I usually catch a few minutes and mainly tried to watch the US games.

Peace
JRut, I don't know if it's a language barrier or just a difference in philosophies or teaching but there are many times it appears the crews aren't on the same page...in both the men's and the women's games.