The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 22, 2014, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

different approach on T?

Hey guys, I want to get some opinions on something that happened today in one of my YMCA advanced league games.

Admittedly, I take a lot less heat during these type of games, or MAYB, Parochial, Biddy Basketball, etc etc.

To set the scene, advanced league 3rd grade boys game, 1st half went along just fine, didn't hear much from either side at all. 2nd half, white team assistant coach starts to make comments. The typical, that's a foul, we need that called. Unfortunately, I was away from the benches when the comments started so I wasn't going to come across when my partner is right there.

We finally had a chance to switch, and I ended up table side. Sure enough, next play on whites offensive end, I'm T in front of the bench. Kid goes to the lane, gets hammered. Before my partner and I can call it, I hear the assistant coach say, "come on, that's a foul guys." My partner called the foul, and I quickly told the coach that he needs to let us call the game and that the comments need to stop. He respond by saying, "Well then start calling the game right." So I whacked him.

I'm not disputing whether or not he deserved the T, there's no doubt in my mind he did, but I'm wondering, even though it's Y ball, if I could have handled it better. Would I have been better served to talk to the head coach and tell him that his assistant needs to stop making comments or it's gonna cost his team? Looking back, I feel I shouldn't have even addressed the assistant, instead going straight to the head coach and giving him a chance to stop it. What do you guys think?
Old Sat Nov 22, 2014, 07:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

I don't address ACs who are being jack-wagons beyond "I don't want to hear your comments".
Old Sat Nov 22, 2014, 07:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by refinks View Post
Would I have been better served to talk to the head coach and tell him that his assistant needs to stop making comments or it's gonna cost his team? Looking back, I feel I shouldn't have even addressed the assistant, instead going straight to the head coach and giving him a chance to stop it. What do you guys think?
This would have been a good path to take.
Old Sat Nov 22, 2014, 07:50pm
TODO: creative title here

HS varsity and above, I'm probably going to warn the head coach.

Any level lower than that and I'm going straight to serving T.
Old Sat Nov 22, 2014, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

I don't directly address the AC on this.

Head coach is responsible for bench conduct, so if the AC is getting out of line I'll tell the HC he needs to get his bench under control. Next occurrence earns the AC a T.

This is assuming we're dealing with the typical chippy conduct - any egregious behavior would get an immediate T.
Old Sat Nov 22, 2014, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

"HC (use the name if you know it) -- We'll be glad to answer reasonable questions from you, but we can't have your assistant commenting on the officiating each time down."
Old Sat Nov 22, 2014, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
"HC (use the name if you know it) -- We'll be glad to answer reasonable questions from you, but we're not going to listen to your assistants."
Only thing I would change.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2014, 12:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Hey guys, I want to get some opinions on something that happened today in one of my YMCA advanced league games.

Admittedly, I take a lot less heat during these type of games, or MAYB, Parochial, Biddy Basketball, etc etc.

To set the scene, advanced league 3rd grade boys game, 1st half went along just fine, didn't hear much from either side at all. 2nd half, white team assistant coach starts to make comments. The typical, that's a foul, we need that called. Unfortunately, I was away from the benches when the comments started so I wasn't going to come across when my partner is right there.

We finally had a chance to switch, and I ended up table side. Sure enough, next play on whites offensive end, I'm T in front of the bench. Kid goes to the lane, gets hammered. Before my partner and I can call it, I hear the assistant coach say, "come on, that's a foul guys." My partner called the foul, and I quickly told the coach that he needs to let us call the game and that the comments need to stop. He respond by saying, "Well then start calling the game right." So I whacked him.

I'm not disputing whether or not he deserved the T, there's no doubt in my mind he did, but I'm wondering, even though it's Y ball, if I could have handled it better. Would I have been better served to talk to the head coach and tell him that his assistant needs to stop making comments or it's gonna cost his team? Looking back, I feel I shouldn't have even addressed the assistant, instead going straight to the head coach and giving him a chance to stop it. What do you guys think?
I may have waited, like you did, until you were in front of the bench. At the point where he starts chiming in, I'm going one of two routes.

1. Call the T as soon as he pipes up.
2. Talk to the HC, don't address the AC. First, he's already fired up and obviously unaware of what his expectations are. If you're going to talk, talk to the HC. Remind him that his bench is about to cost him the use of the coaching box (if you're using it).

I'm probably going with #1, though.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2014, 02:15am
AremRed

Quote:
Kid goes to the lane, gets hammered. Before my partner and I can call it, I hear the assistant coach say, "come on, that's a foul guys."
If the assistant has time to say all that between the contact and your whistle you might have too patient a whistle.

Others here have posted good resources to use. I suggest trying to use your personality to diffuse the situation -- if needed warn and whack. Everyone has a different size "fun bucket", when yours is full it's time to take care of business.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2014, 08:11am
Official & Member

Speak to the head coach IMMEDIATELY after the comment, ignoring the ASSistant..."Coach, please control your bench. This is your only warning". You put the HC on notice while putting the ASSistant in their place as a non-entity...i.e. part of the bench.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

To the HC: "Coach, I won't hear from him again!" (with a small, gesture towards his assistant) (then, diirectly to the HC, with a smile) "Thanks."
I make it a point to introduce my partner and myself to the HC, before we start the game. And, I quite often say, "You're the one who can stand. You're the one who can talk to us. You're the one who can request time-out from your coaching box."
It's rare that they don't know the limits, so a reminder most often takes care of the situation. And, if that doesn't, we have other (T)tools . . .