The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

During an 8th grade girls game with a couple of young, rookie college-age officials, they called the game as one would expect from 1 and 2 year guys--just learning. The second string played the 2nd and 4th periods (with an additional 5th period for the first string again), and consisted of players that simply haven't played much and don't know the game, but round out the roster. Anyway, one quite athletic girl who falls in the category of "hustler without a clue" had a few hard fouls as she ran into players accidentally while trying to get the ball. After the third foul, one of the officials goes over to the coach and tells her, "Number 31 has had 3 hard fouls now. Next one she gets, she's out of the game." He told the player the same thing. Word has it that the girl, who was simply trying to play hard, was devestated.

My thought was, too bad this official didn't recognize the situation for what it was: an unskilled player who simply didn't know the game but was trying her best and had no intention whatsoever of hurting anyone. Would have preferred he talk to the girl and encourage her to stay under control and try harder not to run into players. Then if she did, call the fouls as prescribed until she fouled out. He rightly had safety on the forefront, but went about it in the wrong way I thought (inexperience, of course). For the benefit of the young officials who read this forum and work a lot of 5th - 8th grade girls ball, how would others of you handle a similar situation?
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 09:42am
Suppref

My Approach

I can honestly say that I've probably do about 100 of these games yearly. During these games as an oficial I also approach them with the feeling that I'm a teacher as well. If the game has no cosequence(ie. not a tournament or league playoff, etc.)I usually will tell the players what they are doing wrong, hopfully without comprimising the rules of the game. Most times the coaches are a parent or less knowledgeable teacher, ect. who are just trying to get everyone some playing time and don't always have alot of practice time with the players. As the age group get older, if they continue to "play hard" and don't show an effort to heed my advice, there is no option but to call the foul. I hope this helps a little.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

I have heard of leagues adding fouls, but taking them away?

Only four fouls before you get benched, that is tough, especially for younger players.

In these setting, I try to help the player when I can. I can say that is from experience, though. When I was a second year official, I would have never tried to "talk" players out of fouls like I do today. I applaud the guy for his preventive officiating, but why did the official notify the coach that the player was in foul trouble? Is it a league thing? He should not be concerned with how many fouls that player has, it is up to the book to notify the coach if needed.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

At what point is the line drawn. At a Soph girls game, one girl, about 6'3", got 3 fouls for hacking, she would stand straight, and when the shooter went up for the shot, she would lower her arms and hammer the shooter. After the third time, I went to the lead, and explained to this girl (who couldn't understand why the calls had been made) why the fouls were being called, if she stood still with her arms straight up, she would less chance of fouling someone.

Did I a cross the line into coaching?
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 10:21am
Suppref

Rookie...

Not at all. If you tell her once, and she continues, you've done all you can. It now becomes the coaches job to teach her. It may not happen during this game but hopefully in future games.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Her coach should be telling her what she is doing wrong, but there is nothing to say we can't help out. I would tell what she was doing wrong, if she keeps it up, too bad.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 11:26am

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Rookie - you did the right thing. She is confused about why YOU are calling fouls - so there is nothing wrong with YOU explaning it.

Even if it was coaching, who cares - the coaches referee all the time, so we should get a chance to coach once in a while, don't ya think?!
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Talking If you're gonna coach . . .

why don't you get them to execute a good give and go or pick and roll.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Re: If you're gonna coach . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
why don't you get them to execute a good give and go or pick and roll.
We try, but they don't listen to us anymore than they listen to you!
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I have heard of leagues adding fouls, but taking them away? . . . I applaud the guy for his preventive officiating, but why did the official notify the coach that the player was in foul trouble? Is it a league thing?
As I observed the situation, I believe the young official was less concerned with how many fouls the girl had, and more concerned with her being out of control and fouling the opponents too hard. So instead of just talking to her and then calling the remaining two fouls she had coming to her, he said she'll be ejected (in essence) if she has one more hard foul. I had no opportunity to talk with him afterward about handling that situation, but would have suggested that he overstepped his boundaries a bit (with the threat) and could have been more helpful and appropriate by using it as a "teaching moment." But, we've all gone through similar learning stages, as I trust that young man will if he sticks with it.