View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 22, 2014, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

different approach on T?

Hey guys, I want to get some opinions on something that happened today in one of my YMCA advanced league games.

Admittedly, I take a lot less heat during these type of games, or MAYB, Parochial, Biddy Basketball, etc etc.

To set the scene, advanced league 3rd grade boys game, 1st half went along just fine, didn't hear much from either side at all. 2nd half, white team assistant coach starts to make comments. The typical, that's a foul, we need that called. Unfortunately, I was away from the benches when the comments started so I wasn't going to come across when my partner is right there.

We finally had a chance to switch, and I ended up table side. Sure enough, next play on whites offensive end, I'm T in front of the bench. Kid goes to the lane, gets hammered. Before my partner and I can call it, I hear the assistant coach say, "come on, that's a foul guys." My partner called the foul, and I quickly told the coach that he needs to let us call the game and that the comments need to stop. He respond by saying, "Well then start calling the game right." So I whacked him.

I'm not disputing whether or not he deserved the T, there's no doubt in my mind he did, but I'm wondering, even though it's Y ball, if I could have handled it better. Would I have been better served to talk to the head coach and tell him that his assistant needs to stop making comments or it's gonna cost his team? Looking back, I feel I shouldn't have even addressed the assistant, instead going straight to the head coach and giving him a chance to stop it. What do you guys think?