The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 28, 2001, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

hey guys

sorry to be asking another question about a coach, but this is my first official year and i want to be absolutely clear on how to deal with coaches. a guy i know once told me that a coach was yelling about his calls the entire game. when this particular official was within earshot of the bench, the coach began to argue about the calls. my friend said: "the more you argue, the less calls you'll get."
he told me later that he didn't mean it, because that would be unfair to the players on the court. he said that the coach quieted down, but i was wondering if this was really a good thing to say. give me your ideas fellas...i have a lot to learn.

thanks
jeremy
Old Sun Oct 28, 2001, 08:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy40
hey guys

sorry to be asking another question about a coach, but this is my first official year and i want to be absolutely clear on how to deal with coaches. a guy i know once told me that a coach was yelling about his calls the entire game. when this particular official was within earshot of the bench, the coach began to argue about the calls. my friend said: "the more you argue, the less calls you'll get."
he told me later that he didn't mean it, because that would be unfair to the players on the court. he said that the coach quieted down, but i was wondering if this was really a good thing to say. give me your ideas fellas...i have a lot to learn.

thanks
jeremy
jeremy,
I'll tell you what.

You list five, or so, things a coach may say, and you'll get some pretty snappy and useable replies from this forum.
mick
Old Sun Oct 28, 2001, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
sorry to be asking another question about a coach, but this is my first official year and i want to be absolutely clear on how to deal with coaches.

Jeremy, the first thing is that you have a huge misconception. You may never be absolutely clear on how to deal with coaches. In your first several years, your education on how to deal with coaches will develop. You'll have to learn the coaches and their personalities. You're not going to be able to say things to caoches that a 1o year veteran can say because you haven't proved yourself and earned their respect. Steer clear of them, don't initate conversations, and don't respond to questions that are asked to bait you into trouble. Let your veteran partners handle them, then watch, listen and learn. The best advice is to treat each coach politely and respectfully.

During my first year, I called only 1 T on a coach. He came dwon the baseline on a throw-in to tell me what I should be doing. I politely said, "Coach, you need to get back in the coaching box." He said, "No, you need to do what I say." Tweet! Whack! no more coaching box, no more problems. I've never had a problem with him again.

So be nice until it's time to not be nice.

Quote:
a guy i know once told me that a coach was yelling about his calls the entire game. when this particular official was within earshot of the bench, the coach began to argue about the calls. my friend said: "the more you argue, the less calls you'll get."
he told me later that he didn't mean it, because that would be unfair to the players on the court. he said that the coach quieted down, but i was wondering if this was really a good thing to say.
After having read what I wrote above, you tell me. Was this really a good thing to say?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Oct 28, 2001, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Mick

Just off the top of your head, what are some of the snappy things you have said to a coach in response?
Old Sun Oct 28, 2001, 09:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Cool I agree with BktBallRef on this one.

In all the sports that I have done over the years in college and Pee Wee games, there is almost never one way to handle a situation. I have done hundreds of games in different sports. I have been a wing in football, where you are always by the coach (or at least it seems that way) and have to answer for almost everything that happens on the football field. Or on the baseball diamond as a HS and college umpire, where I have been challenged for being in perfect position and still had coaches come out and argue particular calls. And in basketball where coaches complain about because they have one foul more than their opponent. There is no one way to handle any situation. If you poll 20 different officials, you might get 20 different answers on what is best.

Your personality is what is going to come out. If you are more confrontational, you might not be afraid to essentially telling a coach when enough is enough. If you are less confrontational or timid, you might have a problem defining boundaries. Or you might just be somewhere in the middle.

Just think before you speak. You do not want to make a comment that is flippant without thinking or realizing the consequences. SILIENCE CANNOT BE QUOTED!!!! Sometimes the best thing is to say nothing. But as I said before, you have to read the sitatutions. And because you are so new (and believe me, the coaches know) coaches will be on you more than veterans that they have been seeing for years or have a reputation that preceeds them. You do not have any paint on the canvas and they are going to test what kind of ability you have or what they can influence by intimidating you. You will only learn by doing and witnessing.

As I said before, go to games with much more experienced officials. Perferably varsity or college games. Talk to the officials that are doing the games whenever possible, and go to as many Officials Association Meetings as you can to learn and fellowship with much more experienced officials and hear war stories of how they handled or did not handle situations when they were officiating in their first few years.

And finally (yes this is finally) do not stop coming here and asking questions and reading posts. This board and others can shorten the learning curve a bit, by learning what others all over the world do in handling coaches and other screwy situation that we go through on the court or field.

Good Luck and God Bless. You will do alright, we have all been there at one time or another.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 28, 2001, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey Mick

Just off the top of your head, what are some of the snappy things you have said to a coach in response?
Trying to tell you Jeremy, snappy things will get you in trouble, especially as a rookie.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Oct 28, 2001, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Not recommended, but...

OK firstly, I agree with what everyone else here has said, and I definitely do not recommend using this approach unless you are a veteran, have already gained the respect of coaches and your peers, and know how the coach will handle it.

Having added that disclaimer, one of my favourites for the coach who is yelling all game is after the break between quarters, but before the players are ready to play, go and sit on the bench near the coach. Chances are he will ask you what the hell you are doing, and the response is:
Well coach, you obviously have a much better view from here than I do on the court, so I'm going to run the game from here. Just to make things even, my partner will sit on the other bench. Any problems with that?

Another variation is to suggest to the coach that if he (or she) agrees to stop telling you how to referee, you won't start making coaching decisions for them.

A partner of mine once called a substitution for a coach, and when the coach asked what was going on he said that as the coach wanted to referee, the referee thought he should coach.

As I said above, using any methods like these depends a lot on your personality, the personality of the coach, your experience and many other factors.

But it can be a lot of fun

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Sun Oct 28, 2001, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey Mick

One thing you need to do is not to worry so much. You will hit your stride as the year goes on. Remember that the coach is just trying to verbally work you over. Some coaches I just ignore. They get the message eventually.

As for a snappy line, try this. “Coach you know all of your yelling could distract me and I may miss a foul committed against your team”

Old Mon Oct 29, 2001, 01:43am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Someday, I'm going to compile a list of all the Davisms I've ever posted. However, one jumps to the forefront of my ever disintegrating memory based on what the original post in this thread said.

After a coach had been trying to make our calls all night, Dave finally told him, "I'll make a deal with you coach. Let's trade places. You come out here and referee, and I'll sit on the bench and be a jackass."
Old Mon Oct 29, 2001, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Jeremy: You will find as you spend some time on this forum that there are some very knowledgeable/expierenced officials here. I have been reading/posting here for about a year and it has really helped. I have been officiating basketball for about 8 years -- officiated soccer for about 20 years, and the coaches/fans/parents are, IMHO, worse in soccer than basketball. I have used the "smartass" remark on rare occassions, but once I have had enough, I will give the coach the stop sign and tell them "no more". If they continue, I will T them. Like you, when I first started, I wanted to do everything absolutely correct. As coaches see you more and more often, they will learn what you will tolerate and what you won't. My first T was the hardest. I think I only gave 3 last year (1 NF and 2 rec). As was said earlier, do not stop reading/posting here -- this is a very good forum.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2001, 03:16pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
"the more you argue, the less calls you'll get."
This is absolutely the incorrect.

The correct thing to say is, "The more you argue, the fewer calls you'll get."

Old Mon Oct 29, 2001, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Wait a second...

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad

This is absolutely the incorrect.

The correct thing to say is, "The more you argue, the fewer calls you'll get."

[/B]
I thought it takes two to argue...

I will not stoop to the level of arguing. I maintain a professional demeanor (calm voice and slow, deliberate action) when dealing with an out-of-control coach. Remember, as an official you must remain in control your actions. The coach can be held accountable for his actions by the tools at your disposal as an official.

P.S. A "T" is a last resort toward regaining control of the situation.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2001, 05:18pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Willie,

I was joking... I would not say something like that on the court.

Maybe I need to put a few more on my post next time!
Old Mon Oct 29, 2001, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Brad... Not a problem

However; I stand by what I said...

We as officials need to maintain a professional (Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. should like that reference ) demeanor, regardless what others are doing. That is where the young, "green" official often struggles.

Again, I was not insulted by, and did not misconstrue your comments. I understood the nature of your comments as jovial.

All for better officiating conditions say "AYE"!... WHAT? No coaches are jumping to their feet?
Old Tue Oct 30, 2001, 03:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Whatever you do, don't ignore the coach when he/she is trying to talk to you. Try to say something like...OK coach, or I hear you coach, something to let them know that you aren't ignoring them.

Just a thought...

Hodges