The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Refresher Exam Question #5 ...

2014 IAABO Refresher Exam (Reflects NFHS Rules)

5. During pregame warmups, the official notices that A-1 is wearing a white headband, a white arm sleeve, and white long compression pants that extend to the player’s ankles. The official rules that A-1 cannot play with the long compression pants. Is the official correct?

OK, so I carelessly read this quickly, spotted, "compression", "extended", and "long", and answered "Yes" incorrectly.

I should have spotted the word "pants" (not shorts), and realized that there would be a question on tights now being allowed under the new Fashion Police rules.

But then I started thinking, and doing some research:

3-5-7: Compression shorts shall be a single solid color similar to the predominant color of the uniform; the length shall be above the knee. Undergarments shall not extend below the pants/skirt. See 3-6 for logo requirements.

3.5.7 SITUATION A: Substitute A6 is beckoned and enters the court to replace A1. A6 is wearing: (a) compression shorts below the game pants which extend below the knees; (b) cut-off jeans extending below the game pants; or (c) jewelry or (d) leg compression sleeve. RULING: The items in (a), (b) and (c) are illegal and A6 will not be allowed to participate while wearing the items. No penalty is involved. A6 simply cannot participate until the illegal items are removed. Legal in (d) if color restrictions are met. (3-5-3; 3-5-7; 3 5-8)

So (assuming proper colors) compression shorts can only legally be above the knees, while compression pants i.e., tights, can legally be of any length.

In the absence of labels on these items of clothing (labeled shorts, or pants), how does one determine the difference between shorts, and pants. Long shorts are illegal, but short tights (pants) are legal, as are long tights (pants).

In other words, what's the difference (without labels of shorts, or pants, attached) between short (above the knee) shorts (illegal), and short (above the knee) tights (pants) (legal)?

Practically, I'm allowing compression "anything", in the legal color, of any length, however, I'm interested in the "test" question aspect of the rule.

What am I missing here? Should we still have rules regarding compression shorts in the rulebook? Isn't anything worn on the leg (other than a brace with straps, and hinges) a sleeve, and legal, at any length, if it adheres to the color restrictions?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 06, 2014 at 07:17am.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

This was asked about the time the rule came out (or at least when the books became relatively widely distributed). If it wasn't successfully answered then it won't be successfully answered now, at least not here.

I'd suggest you ask your interpreter to ask the state to ask the FED and report back.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2014, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

State interpreter in NH says that any short/pant/legging type item that meets the color requirements shall be legal.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2014, 05:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Casebook Trumps ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
State interpreter in NH says that any short/pant/legging type item that meets the color requirements shall be legal.
Sounds reasonable, but what about this:

3.5.7 SITUATION A: Substitute A6 is beckoned and enters the court to replace A1. A6 is wearing: (a) compression shorts below the game pants which extend below the knees ... RULING: The items in (a) ... are illegal and A6 will not be allowed to participate while wearing the items. No penalty is involved. A6 simply cannot participate until the illegal items are removed.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 06, 2014 at 05:39pm.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2014, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Sounds reasonable, but what about this:

3.5.7 SITUATION A: Substitute A6 is beckoned and enters the court to replace A1. A6 is wearing: (a) compression shorts below the game pants which extend below the knees ... RULING: The items in (a) ... are illegal and A6 will not be allowed to participate while wearing the items. No penalty is involved. A6 simply cannot participate until the illegal items are removed.
That question came up at a meeting last night and board interpreter said that the case book and the rulebook aren't always updated to reflect current changes and to go with anything that is deemed a compression item to go with it.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2014, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
That question came up at a meeting last night and board interpreter said that the case book and the rulebook aren't always updated to reflect current changes and to go with anything that is deemed a compression item to go with it.
I would agree with that. I'd also hope that (a) NFHS will issue additional corrections on the website (they've almost always only had 1 "interp" memo a year -- but there's nothing restricting it to 1, I don't think) and (b) update the book for next year. If not, then we get new officials who don't understand the history making reasonable, but incorrect, assumptions about the rules (and it happens in other sports as well).