The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Bad Partner

Would you strangle this guy after the game or would you just punch him in the face? haha Just a little preseason reminder to not be this guy. (apologies for the horrible announcers)

Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 08:54am
Courageous When Prudent

I don't know what I would do, but one of our forum members can tell you what he actually did.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

I've seen this a bunch of times and I still can't get enough of it!

All I can say is:

*I give the Blue HC credit for not going absolutely bananas.
*I don't even know if I would've bothered talking to my partner on the court. Maybe for a few seconds to find out why his head was up his a** then moved on.
*There would have been NO talk in the locker after the game. I would've gotten dressed, got in my car and called my assignor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I don't know what I would do, but one of our forum members can tell you what he actually did.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Thu Oct 30, 2014 at 02:08pm.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 09:10am
Stubborn Member

At that point in the game I wouldn't have said anything. I would inbound the ball and finish the game. Afterwards, like JMF, I wouldn't talk to the guy at all. I would get dressed and leave.

However, seeing that call, there had to be times during that game when the same thing happened. Assuming that, I would have sternly told him to stay in his primary unless I miss something big.

And after the game, again like JMF, I'd call my assignor.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 09:18am
Do not give a damn!!

People keep bringing up the nightmare for our fellow forum member.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Really? The new trail is counting and he calls if from new lead? By my first count they way I would have counted in a game I got to four. You could see him trying to justify the call by making a sign that demonstrates when the ball was available but this is nonsense.

It appeared that the new trail sped up his count. It was a lot faster than the one he was doing previously.

I am afraid in this game with two points, and a few seconds, knowing it was my call, my discussions would have been more animated than what I saw...

I had a partner somewhat like this several years ago. I was in a sub varsity game and the Coach of the home team kept coming out on the floor arguing about calls, after being warned a couple of times, I finally whacked him. (This was the at the start of a time out) My partner who taught in a feeder middle school, walks up to me and tells me I can't make that call before I can report it. I tell her that he'd been warned and T stands. She tells me "I am the referee and I am overruling the call" I then tell her that she can't do it by rule and she tells me that she is still doing it". I told her to do whatever the h377 she wants. I

The opposing coach asks me at the end of the time out if I had called a T and what was happening. I told yes I did but that she can explain it and walked back to my position as the Lead I had before the time out. Luckily we had only a couple of minutes left in the game. I never made eye contact with her the rest of the game. After the final buzzer left the floor and her standing out there as fast as I could get off. I never talked with her again and she never did apologize.

Fortunately I believe that was her last season of officiating...
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 09:34am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
Really? The new trail is counting and he calls if from new lead? By my first count they way I would have counted in a game I got to four. You could see him trying to justify the call by making a sign that demonstrates when the ball was available but this is nonsense.

It appeared that the new trail sped up his count. It was a lot faster than the one he was doing previously.

I am afraid in this game with two points, and a few seconds, knowing it was my call, my discussions would have been more animated than what I saw...

I had a partner somewhat like this several years ago. I was in a sub varsity game and the Coach of the home team kept coming out on the floor arguing about calls, after being warned a couple of times, I finally whacked him. (This was the at the start of a time out) My partner who taught in a feeder middle school, walks up to me and tells me I can't make that call before I can report it. I tell her that he'd been warned and T stands. She tells me "I am the referee and I am overruling the call" I then tell her that she can't do it by rule and she tells me that she is still doing it". I told her to do whatever the h377 she wants. I

The opposing coach asks me at the end of the time out if I had called a T and what was happening. I told yes I did but that she can explain it and walked back to my position as the Lead I had before the time out. Luckily we had only a couple of minutes left in the game. I never made eye contact with her the rest of the game. After the final buzzer left the floor and her standing out there as fast as I could get off. I never talked with her again and she never did apologize.

Fortunately I believe that was her last season of officiating...
What was her reasoning for overruling the call?
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 09:57am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Would you strangle this guy after the game or would you just punch him in the face? haha Just a little preseason reminder to not be this guy. (apologies for the horrible announcers)
There would have been a real stern discussion immediately after he blew his whistle...along the lines of "Exactly WTF do you think you're doing???". Assuming he refused to reverse his ill advised whistle and proceed with the folly of his call, I'd tell him in the locker room that it was a bulls**t move on his part and don't EVER pull a stunt like that again with me (I'd have him scratched as a partner with my assigner regardless).

For the record, I put a stopwatch on the throw in and got to 4.25 as the absolute longest on end of the throw in. That guy is a serious train-wreck.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 10:43am
Archaic Power Monger

This video is our forum's bad penny.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
This video is our forum's bad penny.
It is but it's also a great learning moment for all of us.

We're taught so much about how to handle coaches and players but dealing with partners who may do something like this isn't mentioned quite as often. Most if not all of us have worked with that guy. Maybe not someone who does something as rockheaded as this - and something that's caught on camera, no less - but definitely close. Our forum member showed a surprising amount of restraint given the situation. I've been told I have the patience of a saint but I think when Dude came back to me at the 1:19 mark I probably don't even look at him. When he does it again at the 1:42 mark I probably give him a "stop" sign just to avoid the possibility of cursing him out. This is a great example of putting the job at hand above everything else for the sake of the kids, even if stupid gets in the way.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

That's awful. I wish we could tell what the discussion was between officials, but I think I would have:

1) Attempted to figure out what the call was (it looks like the lead did this)
2) Explain to my partner that it was my call, his call was incorrect, and that it needed to be reversed -- Pull in the coaches and explain --"The 5 second count was incorrectly started and as a result there was no violation -- it's Black ball for the throw-in"
3) If my partner refused to reverse, I'd tell him that his call is wrong but I'm not going to cause a scene arguing. I'd tell him that he needs to go administer the throw in himself.

And of course I'd be calling the assignor after the game.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
2) Explain to my partner that it was my call, his call was incorrect, and that it needed to be reversed -- Pull in the coaches and explain --"The 5 second count was incorrectly started and as a result there was no violation -- it's Black ball for the throw-in"
If, somehow, you get the partner on board with this the explanation should be, "Coaches, there was an inadvertent whistle. Black/Blue will have the throw-in and be able to run the end line." Saying the count started incorrectly isn't true. Two people may have been counting but that's a different issue.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

I know this video has been posted numerous times on here, but I would absolutely light him up in the locker room after the game. In fact he better hope it is 3-person because the third official might have to pull me off of him.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 03:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I know this video has been posted numerous times on here, but I would absolutely light him up in the locker room after the game. In fact he better hope it is 3-person because the third official might have to pull me off of him.
As bad of a temper that I have, the funny thing is I've never lost it on a partner. I find it best just to get dressed and vent to a trusted friend or mentor.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
As bad of a temper that I have, the funny thing is I've never lost it on a partner. I find it best just to get dressed and vent to a trusted friend or mentor.
I get that. I just think he needs to know how the the other official feels. (The one that was sold down the river)
Closed Thread