The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 15, 2014, 09:01am
Courageous When Prudent

Plays: Elephant vs. Gnat

Worked a men's college scrimmage the other day.

Half court set offense.

I'm Lead. A1 dribbles from C's primary to Trail's primary. A1 clearly double dribbles while in Trail's primary, as I see it while looking through players in my primary. No whistle from Trail, and I leave it alone.

After our crew comes off the court, the head official (who is just observing) for the scrimmage asks if we missed a double dribble during our run. Several sideline officials and I quickly chime in with a "yes!!!". So apparently it was obvious to everyone in the gym except the Trail, who is completely clueless to what play we are talking about, even after we tell him it happened right in front of him.

My questions are--as the Center giving up the play to the Trail, would you come and get that violation? Would you consider coming to get it from the Lead since it was so obvious?
Old Wed Oct 15, 2014, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

Half court set offense.

I'm Lead. A1 dribbles from C's primary to Trail's primary. A1 clearly double dribbles while in Trail's primary, as I see it while looking through players in my primary. No whistle from Trail, and I leave it alone.

After our crew comes off the court, the head official (who is just observing) for the scrimmage asks if we missed a double dribble during our run. Several sideline officials and I quickly chime in with a "yes!!!". So apparently it was obvious to everyone in the gym except the Trail, who is completely clueless to what play we are talking about, even after we tell him it happened right in front of him.

My questions are--as the Center giving up the play to the Trail, would you come and get that violation? Would you consider coming to get it from the Lead since it was so obvious?
Only if it's as obvious as you state. If "everyone in the gym" saw it, except my partner, then I'm getting it.

I would have gotten it as the L or the C.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2014, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Half court set offense.

As the L, probably not. Most likely I have stuff to keep me occupied rather than looking at a vioilation 20+ feet away. As the C, maybe but it would depend on whether there was a competitive match-up in my PCA. He may just have to die with that one.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Oct 15, 2014, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

(I posted this in the thread where the OP was originally -- and I misread it as you being C on the play. Don't know why it didn't get moved)

I'm not up on the NCAAM's mechanics, but had T accepted the play? If so, leave it alone. If not, then C is still on ball and should have the call, even if the dribbler had crossed some imaginary line.

In HS, the C even stays with the count, so if the DD was just as the first dribble was ending, then C can get it. (If the dribbler held the ball for any length of time, then started a new dribble, it's probable that T should have been on it)
Old Wed Oct 15, 2014, 11:44am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
(I posted this in the thread where the OP was originally -- and I misread it as you being C on the play. Don't know why it didn't get moved)

I'm not up on the NCAAM's mechanics, but had T accepted the play? If so, leave it alone. If not, then C is still on ball and should have the call, even if the dribbler had crossed some imaginary line.

In HS, the C even stays with the count, so if the DD was just as the first dribble was ending, then C can get it. (If the dribbler held the ball for any length of time, then started a new dribble, it's probable that T should have been on it)
He didn't. It was one of those dribble, hold for a second, then dribble again.

The Trail got joked on by those watching because he had called 3 off ball fouls in the first couple minutes of play, so everyone said he was too busy looking for illegal screens to pay attention to the ball handler.

Usually we realize when we miss something, but he genuinely had no idea that something had happened right in front of him.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Oct 15, 2014 at 11:54am.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2014, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Many officiating crews "struggle" with the issue of: "leave the play alone" or "whistle the foul/violation" when it occurs not just out of but even tangential to our PCA's.

What I normally do is to "leave it alone" if I am more than 20 feet removed from the spot of the incident, at the risk of either missing the call or dis-engaging my ref partners. I have seen crews get totally lambasted by coaches when a glaring violation is missed by a ref in the PCA. Then again I have heard coaches remark "missed that one and play through it". to their chagrined players.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2014, 12:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Many officiating crews "struggle" with the issue of: "leave the play alone" or "whistle the foul/violation" when it occurs not just out of but even tangential to our PCA's.

What I normally do is to "leave it alone" if I am more than 20 feet removed from the spot of the incident, at the risk of either missing the call or dis-engaging my ref partners. I have seen crews get totally lambasted by coaches when a glaring violation is missed by a ref in the PCA. Then again I have heard coaches remark "missed that one and play through it". to their chagrined players.
I left it alone because, as the L, I would have had no credibility making that call. I can't speak for the C b/c I have no idea what other matchups he had and I do not believe A1 was closely guarded at any time for him to stay on the play as it left him. But in our conversation of the play, the C did say he saw it. I had closed down in preparation of rotating, then I saw A1 come into my peripheral has he brought the ball strong side. I then took a couple steps back from close down as I mirrored the ball. So I know the violation definitely occurred fully in the Trail's primary

But I wonder, if there were 10-15 seconds left in a tied ballgame, would it change our thinking on this. Would we want to have to watch film of an obvious violation followed by a game-winning shot, or would we then consider this violation an elephant based on time & score?

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Oct 15, 2014 at 12:10pm.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2014, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I left it alone because, as the L, I would have had no credibility making that call. I can't speak for the C b/c I have no idea what other matchups he had and I do not believe A1 was closely guarded at any time for him to stay on the play as it left him. But in our conversation of the play, the C did say he saw it. I had closed down in preparation of rotating, then I saw A1 come into my peripheral has he brought the ball strong side. I then took a couple steps back from close down as I mirrored the ball. So I know the violation definitely occurred fully in the Trail's primary

But I wonder, if there were 10-15 seconds left in a tied ballgame, would it change our thinking on this. Would we want to have to watch film of an obvious violation followed by a game-winning shot, or would we then consider this violation an elephant based on time & score?

If everyone in the gym saw it and one of the crew didn't see it, then we need to get it. I don't think you'd have any credibility issues because everyone knows it's the right call.

You might have to explain why you actually saw it but you just explained it to us
Old Wed Oct 15, 2014, 01:35pm
beware big brother

Quote:

If I see an obvious violation/foul out of my PCA or even secondary PCA I am going to get it. Assuming of course that I have seen the play start, develop, and finish, and that I am 100% positive. If I have any doubt, even 1%, I am leaving it alone. I am not worried about my credibility with coaches or players either way. I am worried about the tape showing my assignor the call was right if I do go out of my area. Seeing the entire play and being 100% confident outside of my area only happens a few times the entire season.

The time/score has no bearing on whether or not I make the call. As long as my two criteria, see whole play and 100% certain, are met, I will make the call regardless of time and score.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2014, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

I once had a very veteran and accomplished partner make that call from the L with me as the trail covering a play at the division line.

A1 dribbled into a trap and picked up his dribble. One of the defenders knocked it out of his hands and A1 then smartly played the ball by starting a new dribble to get out of the trap.

My partner knew the A1 was dribbling, knew A1 ended his dribble, and even knew that A1 dribbled again. He came out to get the call think he was saving the crew. However, the one piece he didn't know was that the defender knocked the ball out of A1's hands.

A's coach called him on it and he stuck with the call, even after talking to me.

When you get on from that far away, you have to eliminate EVERY possibility that might make it different than you think.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2014, 02:10pm
Stubborn Member

I'll give my partner the chance to make the call since it's in his PCA, but as long as the call is right I'm not concerned with where the play happened. I'm concerned with getting the call right.

With that said, though, I agree that I have to be 100% sure the call is correct or else I'm leaving it alone. If I wasn't sure, then my response to the OP would be "I was pretty sure I saw a double dribble there, but not sure enough that I was willing to make that call from 20ft away."

We're not all perfect, so we're going to miss calls. As partners we should "pick each other up" when help is needed.

Oh, and the time of the game means nothing to me. If only the last minute of a game mattered then why would we play the other 31? Unless the rule book said otherwise... which it doesn't.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2014, 02:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post

Oh, and the time of the game means nothing to me. If only the last minute of a game mattered then why would we play the other 31? Unless the rule book said otherwise... which it doesn't.
You'll learn whether you agree or not, that there is a difference.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2014, 02:21pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
You'll learn whether you agree or not, that there is a difference.
Ok... why would you call a game differently at certain times?
Old Wed Oct 15, 2014, 02:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Ok... why would you call a game differently at certain times?
Over an entire season both Official A and Official B have an overall 90% rating for call accuracy.

Official A is 95% accurate in the last minute of games.

Official B is 85% accurate in the last minute of games.

Who do you think will be more favorable in the eyes of the supervisor?
Old Wed Oct 15, 2014, 02:47pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
I'll just ask you this.

On Monday you miss a double dribble in the 2nd quarter.

On Wednesday you miss a double dribble with 10 seconds left in the game and the offender goes on to hit the game winning basket on that play.

Which one of those plays will is going to cause a phone call from a supervisor?

You should call the game the way you call the game. But supervisors expect us to be at our best when the game is on the line. We are going to miss a call here and there every game. But misses in the last minute are going to stick in the boss' mind.
While I agree with what you're saying, that doesn't mean it's okay to have missed the first double dribble (the one on Monday in the 2nd quarter).

If I make a call at the end of a game that I didn't make earlier, it's not because I was dictated to do so by the time or situation of the game. I simply kicked one of the calls.

On that note, if I call a foul earlier in the game but pass on a similar foul later in the game, a supervisor may want to know why. And an answer of "well, it was in the final minute, and I didn't want to make a call that could affect the game" would probably not fly.