The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 05:49pm
Ok is the new good

Throw In Violation and AP

Team A has the alternating-possession arrow to start the second half. Thrower A1 steps over the boundary line and onto inbound territory prior to releasing the ball on a throw-in.

6-4-5-a States B gets the throw in and also AP for B as well.

What is the logic here on the arrow being switched to Team B? Why would it not remain with A since Team B gets the throw in.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 06:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

A had their chance for the throw in, since it was lost due to their own mistake, they have used the arrow.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 07:03pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Team A has the alternating-possession arrow to start the second half. Thrower A1 steps over the boundary line and onto inbound territory prior to releasing the ball on a throw-in.

What is the logic here on the arrow being switched to Team B? Why would it not remain with A since Team B gets the throw in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
A had their chance for the throw in, since it was lost due to their own mistake, they have used the arrow.
Adam's got it. I screwed this up this summer and informed the coaches that A would keep their arrow despite A1's throw-in violation.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

4-42-5c. The throw -in ends... When the throw-in team commits a throw-in violation.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 07:45pm
This IS My Social Life

Agree.

Of my "Ten Rulings I Don't Think are Fair", this is one. Seems the harsher penalty on an AP throw-in should be for fouling rather than merely committing a violation. Then again, because it's the opposite of what I'd think would be "fair", it's easy for me to remember.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The arrow switches when the throw-in ends.

When does the throw-in end? (Hint: Rule 4 is your friend)

edit: Never mind -- Billyu2 already answered it for you.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Of my "Ten Rulings I Don't Think are Fair", this is one. Seems the harsher penalty on an AP throw-in should be for fouling rather than merely committing a violation. Then again, because it's the opposite of what I'd think would be "fair", it's easy for me to remember.
The foul has its own penalty components which might be considered to be more significant than keeping the arrow.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 09:13pm
Ok is the new good

What Else on the List?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
What Else on the list of rulings unfair?
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 10:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

At the risk of tilting at windmills, I don't think this is unfair at all. A had the chance to have their throw in, their throw in resulted in violation.

In my estimation, the rule should be changed so the arrow changes as soon as the throw-in begins.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2014, 03:55am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
What Else on the list of rulings unfair?
Not wanting to hijack thread.
Check PM.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2014, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Dang, I messed this up last week too. For a refresher, if A is in the process of making an AP throw in, the only thing that will keep the arrow from switching is if B commits a foul? What if A commits a foul? Sorry, don't have my rulebook available.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2014, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Dang, I messed this up last week too. For a refresher, if A is in the process of making an AP throw in, the only thing that will keep the arrow from switching is if B commits a foul? What if A commits a foul? Sorry, don't have my rulebook available.
The arrow switches when the throw-in ends. The throw-in ends when the ball is legally touched, touched OOB (except the "plane" issue) or the throw-in team violates. A foul does NOT end the throw-in, so the arrow does not switch.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2014, 12:31pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The arrow switches when the throw-in ends. The throw-in ends when the ball is legally touched, touched OOB (except the "plane" issue) or the throw-in team violates. A foul does NOT end the throw-in, so the arrow does not switch.
To add to this, if the defense violates before the ball is legally touched (kicked or batted ball for example), the ensuing throw in would be for the defensive violation and not for the AP throw in. Therefore the arrow would stay with A.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2014, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Bbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Thanks for this Bob. This was the light-bulb moment for me with the rule (i.e. explained/read multiple times before and never truly got/remembered/understood it. This wording did it).