Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 09, 2014, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Run.

See 7.5.7B (it's kind of the "opposite" play so apply the "opposite" ruling).

See 8.6.3A

Maybe some others
Thanks, bob. My response to the official was the same. And I told the several officials present, that I'd check here to be sure.
And thanks for the discussion, to all who responded. The secondary scenario, with Team B being in the bonus, was also discussed, and is simpler to answer.
The pre-season tourney that we use for training is showing some good progress on the part of the newer officials involved, thanks to the involvement of some of our Board members as evaluators. It's always good to give back to an activity that has given us so much enjoyment over the years.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2014, 06:14am
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Words ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Billy, are you reading this ...
Yes. And, shut up.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 09, 2014, 08:24am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Yes. And, shut up.

LOL!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Oct 09, 2014, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The ball is already in flight for this case play, so that would be kinda hard to do.

But anyway, it is no different than any other time a double foul is called while a field goal is in flight.
Maybe I am not getting the OP. What I was getting at was the foul happened on the front end of a 1-1. This was made and would clear the lane for the second try. Depending on whether it was made or missed would determine the resumption of play. If the offending team knew it had the arrow they could intentionally miss the second try and get the ball back. In a late game situation it could be more profitable to have the ball instead of the 1 point.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2014, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
Maybe I am not getting the OP. What I was getting at was the foul happened on the front end of a 1-1. This was made and would clear the lane for the second try. Depending on whether it was made or missed would determine the resumption of play. If the offending team knew it had the arrow they could intentionally miss the second try and get the ball back. In a late game situation it could be more profitable to have the ball instead of the 1 point.
I think you are misunderstanding the case play (8.6.3A) or the rule.

On a double foul, we go to POI. If the double foul happens before the FT, then the FT is the POI, and play continues with either a rebound (missed FT) or a throw-in by B (made FT). No advantage to missing on purpose.

If it happens after the FT is released, the if the FT is good, B gets the throw-in. We go to the arrow if the FT is missed, because we don't know who would get the rebound. So, for this tactic to work, A1 has to miss the FT AND A2 has to entice B2 into a double foul. The odds of that are small -- the team is better off with the FT (plus the opportunity to rebound if the FT is missed). I suppose if A1 was a 10% FT shooter, and B will get 90% of the rebounds, that it might be the better choice.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2014, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If it happens after the FT is released, the if the FT is good, B gets the throw-in. We go to the arrow if the FT is missed, because we don't know who would get the rebound. So, for this tactic to work, A1 has to miss the FT AND A2 has to entice B2 into a double foul. The odds of that are small -- the team is better off with the FT (plus the opportunity to rebound if the FT is missed). I suppose if A1 was a 10% FT shooter, and B will get 90% of the rebounds, that it might be the better choice.
Agreed. There are so many factors in play that have to go perfectly (including the officials calling a double foul rather than penalizing the first action) that isn't not a viable tactic to even try.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Oct 09, 2014, 11:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
B gets the ball either way, whether it's made or not simply determines whether B gets an endline throw in or a spot throw in.