The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Question

Can the thrower bounce pass or dribble along the endline when his team is allowed to run the endline? We would call a violation if the thrower hit the sideline. Should we call a violation if it hit the endline, and if so, should we then not allow a bounce pass or dribble across the baseline? The high school book says only a direct throw in or pass is allowed.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

On throwins you can bounce the ball OOB's until you release it for a throwin.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

NF 7-5-7
On a throw-in after a made basket, the inbounding team can run the endline, dribble, bounce pass to other teammates who are out of bounds behind the endline (the teammate must establish OOB status first before recieving the pass) as long as the ball is inbounded within 5 seconds of when it became available for throw-in all the above are legal.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 10:41am
In Memoriam

Exclamation Don't ferget

Quote:
Originally posted by twarner
Can the thrower bounce pass or dribble along the endline when his team is allowed to run the endline? We would call a violation if the thrower hit the sideline. Should we call a violation if it hit the endline, and if so, should we then not allow a bounce pass or dribble across the baseline? The high school book says only a direct throw in or pass is allowed.
twarner,
The painted boundary is still out-of-bounds.
mick
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by twarner
Can the thrower bounce pass or dribble along the endline when his team is allowed to run the endline?
Yes, he can.

Quote:
We would call a violation if the thrower hit the sideline.
I don't understand what you're saying here.

Quote:
Should we call a violation if it hit the endline, and if so, should we then not allow a bounce pass or dribble across the baseline? The high school book says only a direct throw in or pass is allowed.
As long as he is bouncing the ball to himself, he must bounce it OOB. If it touches inbounds and he then touches it, he would violate.

Once he releases a bounce pass to a teammate, the ball must hit inbounds, not OOB. If the ball touches OOB and then touches a player inbounds, it's a violation.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
NF 7-5-7
On a throw-in after a made basket, the inbounding team can run the endline, dribble, bounce pass to other teammates who are out of bounds behind the endline (the teammate must establish OOB status first before recieving the pass) as long as the ball is inbounded within 5 seconds of when it became available for throw-in all the above are legal.
Willie I gotta ask, if it were legal to bounce pass a ball on the end line how would you rule in this situation then;

A1 is inbounding on the end line after a made basket within 5 ft of the intersection of the endline and sideline. A2 is standing OOB on the endline within 5ft of the opposite sideline. A3 is adjacent to A2 only inbounds.

A1 throws a pass that bounces OOB and (a) goes to A2 (b)goes to A3 (c) goes toward A3 but A2 intercepts the pass.

I think that creates a conflict. Rule 7-5-7 does state you can pass the ball"along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary line," but it doesn't state that you can dribble it. 7-1-2-b doesn't give 7-5-7 as an exception to the ball being out of bounds when it hits the floor.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

As long as team A can run the end line. a) legal, b) illegal, c) legal.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SOWB_Ref
A1 is inbounding on the end line after a made basket within 5 ft of the intersection of the endline and sideline. A2 is standing OOB on the endline within 5ft of the opposite sideline. A3 is adjacent to A2 only inbounds.

A1 throws a pass that bounces OOB and (a) goes to A2 (b)goes to A3 (c) goes toward A3 but A2 intercepts the pass.

I think that creates a conflict. Rule 7-5-7 does state you can pass the ball "along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary line," but it doesn't state that you can dribble it. 7-2-b doesn't give 7-5-7 as an exception to the ball being out of bounds when it hits the floor.
SOWB...
I think it is clearcut...
a.) legal
b.) illegal
c.) legal

Additionally, re-read the situation in 7-2.b The ball remains OOB until it contacts inbound status. Keep the count going and play on.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SOWB_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
NF 7-5-7
Willie I gotta ask, if it were legal to bounce pass a ball on the end line how would you rule in this situation then;

I think that creates a conflict. Rule 7-5-7 does state you can pass the ball"along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary line," but it doesn't state that you can dribble it. 7-1-2-b doesn't give 7-5-7 as an exception to the ball being out of bounds when it hits the floor.
On third situation, doesn't it matter if ball breaks plane after bouncing? If it is completely over the line and A2 reaches out and grabs it, don't we really already have an inbounds violation? That is, the ball was released toward the court on an inbounds pass, was actually on the court of play, yet it hit OOB first. Regardless of who touches first, it seems like a throw-in violation. And it leads me to swonder if it is heading toward the court but not totally over the line when A2 grabs, whether that wouldn't qualify as being released toward court, and violation as soon as it hit the line.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

The ball can be bounced along the endline OOB since by definition a throw-in is a pass INTO the court.

The bounces OOB are just bounces, and no rule excludes passes/bounces that don't go INTO the court.

Guess that was redundant.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Okay,

Rule 6-5
The ball shall be put in play by a throw-in under circumstances as outlined in 6-3-1,2,3;7-1 through 6; 8-5; and 9-1 through 12.

While 7-5-7 and 7-6 gives exmeption to both location and to a direct throw-in, there is nothing within these rules (that I can find) which gives specific exemption to a ball that touches the floor out of bounds (violation from 9-3 as definied in 7-2-b from either a dribble or a pass that has hit the floor (and that is all a bounce pass is).

According to the definition a pass is" ... movement of the ball caused by a player who throws, bats or rolls the ball to another player." I think the rule book conflicts itself a bit on defining a roll as a pass as it pertains to this situation, but it doesn't give precedent to allow a pass, wether it be by design or accident, to hit the floor and have exemption to the rules covering the throw in.

Finally, I hope these posts aren't taken as arrogant presumption. I have been wrong before and I will be again, I am glad to have the forum because it forces me to look my knowledge and re-examine to what I think is correct. Thanks
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

If you have a copy of the Simplified and Illustrated 2001-02, it has a case 9-2-2 which shows a bounce OOB (that stays OOB) is perfectly legal.

I wish I could point out something in the regular rules more definitive, but the logic is this:

You are not PASSING when you bounce the ball to yourself; nor are you throwing INTO the court.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slider
If you have a copy of the Simplified and Illustrated 2001-02, it has a case 9-2-2 which shows a bounce OOB (that stays OOB) is perfectly legal.
Unfortunately I don't. Can anyone scan this page and email it to me?

Thanks
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

This is the NCAA version (Adobe PDF), I assure you, in this matter the NCAA and NF rules are the same:

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf

The play is on page 94 or 95.

[Edited by Slider on Jan 24th, 2002 at 10:06 AM]