The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Spot Throw-in or run the endline?

The following was asked by an official, last night, at a training session - HS JV/V games:

Team A is in the bonus, team B is not.
A1 is at the line to shoot a 1 and 1. The first shot is successful, and during attempted rebounding action, a foul is called on A2.
The lane is cleared, and A1 shoots the second freethrow. If it is successful, will the throw-in by team B be a spot throw-in, or may they run the endline?
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Run.

See 7.5.7B (it's kind of the "opposite" play so apply the "opposite" ruling).

See 8.6.3A

Maybe some others
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 09:33am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
The following was asked by an official, last night, at a training session - HS JV/V games:

Team A is in the bonus, team B is not.
A1 is at the line to shoot a 1 and 1. The first shot is successful, and during attempted rebounding action, a foul is called on A2.
The lane is cleared, and A1 shoots the second freethrow. If it is successful, will the throw-in by team B be a spot throw-in, or may they run the endline?
My first question would be... is the foul during the successful free throw count? My initial thought is that the foul is ignored, unless it is flagrant. Therefore the rest of the scenario doesn't matter.

However, if the foul is not ignored, and the result carried out as you explain, then I'd say "no, the throw-in is in response to the foul, and therefore it is a spot throw-in."

Last edited by BryanV21; Wed Oct 08, 2014 at 09:37am.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 09:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
My first question would be... is the foul during the successful free throw count? My initial thought is that the foul is ignored, unless it is flagrant. Therefore the rest of the scenario doesn't matter.

However, if the foul is not ignored, and the result carried out as you explain, then I'd say "no, the throw-in is in response to the foul, and therefore it is a spot throw-in."
Now that bob has answered the initial question, I have to ask:

Why would it be ignored? Is the ball dead during a free throw?
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 09:45am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Now that bob has answered the initial question, I have to ask:

Why would it be ignored? Is the ball dead during a free throw?
No. I guess the old rule on when players can enter the lane has me confused, because up until the change the free throw would have been made before there was even a chance for a foul. This year though, since players can enter upon the release, fouls can certainly happen before the ball goes into the basket.

As you pointed out, the ball is live, so the foul counts.

So what about the 2nd part, then? Is Team B's ability to run the baseline contingent on whether the second free throw is successful? Because if Team B is given the throw-in due to the foul, then that should be a spot throw-in.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 09:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If A's FT is successful, B can run the endline (bob provided the references above).
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 09:54am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
If A's FT is successful, B can run the endline (bob provided the references above).
I don't have the rule book in front of me. It's actually in the bathroom as I read it during my "breaks". I try to answer questions here from memory, which sometimes fails me.

Thanks for the answer.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Run.

See 7.5.7B (it's kind of the "opposite" play so apply the "opposite" ruling).

See 8.6.3A

Maybe some others
It would be an interesting strategy to intentionally miss the last free throw knowing you have the arrow. Especially late in a game where possession was more important than the 1 point.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No. I guess the old rule on when players can enter the lane has me confused, because up until the change the free throw would have been made before there was even a chance for a foul. This year though, since players can enter upon the release, fouls can certainly happen before the ball goes into the basket.
Fouls were possible before, just less likely. Players in adjacent spaces could have easily fouled each other without violating the FT provisions. Players not along the lane could have also fouled each other. Not being able to go into the lane under the old rule just reduced the probability of it happening.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 05:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I don't have the rule book in front of me. It's actually in the bathroom as I read it during my "breaks". I try to answer questions here from memory, which sometimes fails me.

Thanks for the answer.
Honestly, I've found that's a better way for me to learn. Answer from memory and then check to see if I'm right. I've also found, though, that I put myself at risk of getting answers wrong (less so now than I used to) when I do that, so it results in a few more posts to the effect of, "Yep, you're right, thanks."

We all learn differently.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 05:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Twist And Shout ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Team A is in the bonus, team B is not. A1 is at the line to shoot a 1 and 1. The first shot is successful, and during attempted rebounding action, a foul is called on A2. The lane is cleared, and A1 shoots the second free throw. If it is successful, will the throw-in by team B be a spot throw-in, or may they run the endline?
This situation can be changed up a little. Maybe the foul on A2 was Team A's seventh foul of the half and now Team B is in the bonus. How do you like those potatoes?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 05:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This situation can be changed up a little. Maybe the foul on A2 was Team A's seventh foul of the half and now Team B is in the bonus. How do you like those potatoes?
That makes it easier, IMO.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 06:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
That makes it easier, IMO.
I agree. A lot less explaining to the coaches.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 08:28pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
It would be an interesting strategy to intentionally miss the last free throw knowing you have the arrow. Especially late in a game where possession was more important than the 1 point.

Another reason to eliminate AP and return to Jump Balls put the ball back into play. Billy, are you reading this, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 11:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
The ball is already in flight for this case play, so that would be kinda hard to do.

But anyway, it is no different than any other time a double foul is called while a field goal is in flight.