The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 12, 2014, 06:51am
This IS My Social Life

"Trail, Don't Bail!" (Center, Neither)

One key mechanic that's going to be all-the-more important is for C and T (T in two-person) not to bail on the FT release. Stepping down on the shot and providing avid surveillance of rebounding action in respective areas will be of utmost significance and necessity. Partners accustomed to bail on the release will put a crew in tough situations. Confident, accurate foul calls while striding the opposite way seem quite contrary to nature.
Watch video from throughout the nation. This is gonna be a challenging habit to break in many, many officials. Locally, this has got to be a specific POE.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2014, 07:04am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Why would they do that?
I don't know. I just assume they (AAU) feel their season is an extension of the scholastic season as far as rules. They get started here in late March, so maybe they don't want to change the rules in the middle of their "season".
Old Tue Aug 12, 2014, 07:06am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Really poor decision by the summer tournament people as that doesn't prepare the kids for the upcoming HS season. Areas which play by the old rules in the summer have to del with the adjustment period being during the first part of the HS season. That isn't a positive.
The folks who run summer ball here have no connection to the high schools; maybe they don't feel it's their concern to worry about what the HS coaches need to adjust to. Also, maybe they want to utilize only rules that are publicized in a rule book.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2014, 09:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I don't know. I just assume they (AAU) feel their season is an extension of the scholastic season as far as rules. They get started here in late March, so maybe they don't want to change the rules in the middle of their "season".
This actually makes sense. I figured there was a good reason.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2014, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I saw a lot of defenders in the top lane space breaking the plane of the FT line and invading the shooter's space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I saw a few and was dying to bust them on it, but every time I saw it the shooter made the FT! Stupid delayed violations....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
When are they (defenders) allowed to break the plane (going "backward") of the free throw line? I know that the shooter must wait for the "hit".
There's no violation for going "backward" into the FT semicircle assuming the player did so within the parameters of the rule, i.e., (s)he left their lane space after the try was released. The only option for penalizing the defensive team would be a foul for contacting the thrower if it's warranted.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Aug 12, 2014, 10:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
There's no violation for going "backward" into the FT semicircle assuming the player did so within the parameters of the rule, i.e., (s)he left their lane space after the try was released. The only option for penalizing the defensive team would be a foul for contacting the thrower if it's warranted.
I haven't seen a 2014-15 rulebook, but I was officiating for quite a while before the "wait till it hits" rule was put into the book.

Before the rule changed years ago, the defender was not allowed to break the plane of the FT line until the ball hit as defenders were aggressively boxing out shooters while they were in their follow-through. I'm guessing that rule was quietly removed when the rule changed and it will be interesting to see if it makes a return.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2014, 10:51am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I had more than a few occasions where the players who weren't in marked lane spaces violated by breaking the plane of the 3-point line/FTLE because they thought the new rule applied to them. Some of their coaches believed that to be the case as well. I know there were some worries expressed here that those violations might increase, I just didn't think folks would be that clueless.

Silly me.
I experienced this early in the summer season too......"oh, just in the lane spaces? Got it ref."

Even go the question, "Can the shooter leave on the release?" several times.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2014, 12:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
This actually makes sense. I figured there was a good reason.
Late in my summer season, I had plenty of coaches reminding me that the other team was coming in on the release instead of the hit.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2014, 01:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

I had no problems with the rules. I work college so it was like riding an old bike. It worked out well and in a couple of cases things were rough, but you call the fouls and that went away.

I love the rule and it is no different than officiating rebounding action in any other part of the game.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 12, 2014, 01:05pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I love the rule and it is no different than officiating rebounding action in any other part of the game.
Why do you love the rule?
Old Tue Aug 12, 2014, 01:10pm
beware big brother

Quote:

Because he has a sick fetish!
Old Tue Aug 12, 2014, 06:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fire Up The Flux Capacitor ...

Quote:
Before the rule changed years ago, the defender was not allowed to break the plane of the FT line until the ball hit as defenders were aggressively boxing out shooters while they were in their follow-through.
Good point Rich. I forgot all about this rule. I also forgot where I put my car keys this morning.

1996-97 (A year before they changed release to hit) NFHS Basketball Rulebook

9-9: No opponent occupying a marked lane space shall break the plane of the free throw line. Note: The restriction applies until the ball touches the ring, or backboard, or until the free throw ends.

Quote:
I haven't seen a 2014-15 rulebook ... it will be interesting to see if it makes a return.
How much you wanna bet that it won't make a return because the editor failed to recognize all the ramifications of this recent rule change?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Aug 12, 2014 at 06:22pm.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2014, 07:15pm
Administrator

My head hurts.

I started this thread just to post my observations this summer, LOL, and it has now started on the path to the dark side and it looks like I am going to have to climb up into the attic before the start of the season and do some historical research.

But I am glad that the thread has started the group toward getting ready for the new season even though it is August.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Wed Aug 13, 2014 at 12:43pm. Reason: Corrected spellilng.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2014, 08:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Because it was the worst rules change I can think of in my career in the first place. Hardly anyone called the violation and it required officials to split hairs in order to call a violation in many cases. I hated the old rule.

Is that good enough for you?

Peace
Old Tue Aug 12, 2014, 10:37pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Is that good enough for you?
I can't tell if this is a sincere question or sarcastic. My question was sincere, I genuinely wanted to know what you thought.