The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 11, 2014, 11:56am
Administrator

New NFHS Free Throw Rule.

Now that we have had a summer of camps using the new rule in preparation of the coming year, how did everybody find the teams adjusting to the new rule?

My observations were as such: The boys adjusted very well. BUT, the girls were a horse of different color. I found that the girls were even worse than under the old rule. I could not believe how many times I had players in the lane before the shooter had released the ball and calling the violation did not teach the players any lessons.

Just my observations.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Aug 11, 2014, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

What I saw this summer more than anything were line violations by shooters, more by girls but also a fair number of boys as well. I simply chalked it up to them not being used to seeing people go into the lane before they could ... so when the shooters saw movement, they simply moved as well.

Seems like this will be the kind of thing that goes away as everyone makes the adjustment to the new rule.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2014, 12:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

All summer games that I worked using NFHS rules used the old the rule.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2014, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

I found the teams adjusted pretty well although there were a couple of late game situations where one team just didn't react at all to the release. Opposing got an uncontested rebound or putback...

But these were only in blowout games where the attentions weren't quite there...

From my own perspective I missed my fair share of these calls (someone left early before the release and I didn't call it or missed it)...more so than I would have liked. I'm going to have to make myself much more aware to watch for this in my early season games until i get more comfortable looking for it. Not the biggest thing in the world to learn, but I was surprised that I missed as many as I did over the summer.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2014, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

I had more than a few occasions where the players who weren't in marked lane spaces violated by breaking the plane of the 3-point line/FTLE because they thought the new rule applied to them. Some of their coaches believed that to be the case as well. I know there were some worries expressed here that those violations might increase, I just didn't think folks would be that clueless.

Silly me.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Tue Aug 12, 2014 at 04:43am.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2014, 03:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
All summer games that I worked using NFHS rules used the old the rule.
Why would they do that?
Old Mon Aug 11, 2014, 03:29pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I had more than a few occasions where the players who weren't in marked lane spaces violated by breaking the plane of the 3-point line/FTLE because they thought the new rule applied to them.
At my camp this summer, this is what our contact from the state office told us the new rule now allowed.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Aug 11, 2014, 03:32pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Why would they do that?
I worked a tournament that did this. I asked why and was told the new 2014-2015 rules changes do not take effect until the school year starts in August.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2014, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I worked a tournament that did this. I asked why and was told the new 2014-2015 rules changes do not take effect until the school year starts in August.
Really poor decision by the summer tournament people as that doesn't prepare the kids for the upcoming HS season. Areas which play by the old rules in the summer have to del with the adjustment period being during the first part of the HS season. That isn't a positive.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2014, 07:38pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Really poor decision by the summer tournament people as that doesn't prepare the kids for the upcoming HS season. Areas which play by the old rules in the summer have to del with the adjustment period being during the first part of the HS season. That isn't a positive.

While I agree that it is smart for team camps to incorporate the new rules the national organization (AAU, YBOA, and AYBT, etc.) use the previous season's rule: This year the national tournaments for the organizations were played using 2013-14 rules.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Aug 11, 2014, 08:23pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Yeah I agree. It was just those few games though, all other games I did this summer were on the release.

I was initially surprised at the number of 3 point line violations, I thought the kids would have been told. Then I remembered I was dealing with AAU coaches. I'm sure it won't be a problem during the high school season. Fouls during jostling of rebounding position on the other hand....
Old Mon Aug 11, 2014, 09:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I saw a lot of defenders in the top lane space breaking the plane of the FT line and invading the shooter's space.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2014, 11:50pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I had more than a few occasions where the players who weren't in marked lane spaces violated by breaking the plane of the 3-point line/FTLE because they thought the new rule applied to them. Some of their coaches believed that to be the case as well. I know there were some worries expressed here that those violation might increase, I just didn't think folks would be that clueless.

Silly me.
Jet met, this is the same problem that I saw. Shooters and those on the lane lines did fine. Many coaches and players thought the "on the release applied to everyone except the shooter.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2014, 11:57pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I saw a lot of defenders in the top lane space breaking the plane of the FT line and invading the shooter's space.
I saw a few and was dying to bust them on it, but every time I saw it the shooter made the FT! Stupid delayed violations....
Old Tue Aug 12, 2014, 06:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
When are they (defenders) allowed to break the plane (going "backward") of the free throw line? I know that the shooter must wait for the "hit".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)