The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 28, 2013, 09:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Free Throw Question (NFHS)

4-20 ART. 3

The free throw ends when the try is successful, when it is certain the try will not be successful, when the try touches the floor or any player, or when the ball becomes dead.

Do you equate the bolded part as meaning the ball becomes dead because the free throw never hit the rim or that the free throw hit the rim and then hit a player or the floor?
Old Mon Oct 28, 2013, 10:12pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Do you equate the bolded part as meaning the ball becomes dead because the free throw never hit the rim or that the free throw hit the rim and then hit a player or the floor?
Both.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 04:20am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
4-20 ART. 3

The free throw ends when the try is successful, when it is certain the try will not be successful, when the try touches the floor or any player, or when the ball becomes dead.

I say the FT ends when the try touches the floor as in: a player bounces the ball in the lane to attempt a "bouncing shot." Violation the ball is dead as soon as it bounces in the lane. Obviously if it is an airball, it is also a dead ball for a violation. If it hits the rim (or backboard) then the floor, then it is certain that the try is unsuccessful yet the ball remains live. As for the FT ending upon a player touch: If it is before the ball touches the rim (or backboard), above the rim, on the way down and has a chance to go in, it is goaltending. Dead ball, award 1 point and then 2 for T (or no basket if same team).

If it touches the rim remains in the cylinder and then is touched by a player it is BI. Again, FT ends, Dead ball, award a point (or wipe away if same team) and away you go.

If the ball touches the rim (or backboard) then bounces out of the cylinder and is touched by a player, the FT ends but then play on.

Just because the FT ends does not mean that the ball is dead. But any time the ball is dead, the free throw also ends. (I think)
Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 06:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Nothing But Net ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
I say the FT ends when the try touches the floor as in: a player bounces the ball in the lane to attempt a "bouncing shot." Violation the ball is dead as soon as it bounces in the lane.
Legal in HORSE.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 07:06am
NFHS Official

Quote:
4-20 ART. 3

We had the same discussion in our meeting the other night. We came to the consensus, that the question meant shooting an air ball.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
4-20 ART. 3

If your point is that the clause is superfluous, then I probably agree (with the possible exception of the "bounce shot"). It might be left over from some previous rule change (that is, it used to be required, but a rule change has now made it not required).

I also don't see that it causes any harm.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 12:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If your point is that the clause is superfluous, then I probably agree (with the possible exception of the "bounce shot"). It might be left over from some previous rule change (that is, it used to be required, but a rule change has now made it not required).

I also don't see that it causes any harm.
I'm asking b/c it is on the test and I got it wrong.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 12:42pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
I'm asking b/c it is on the test and I got it wrong.
If I remember correctly I answered true.

Last edited by OKREF; Tue Oct 29, 2013 at 12:45pm.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 12:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It's possible the try touch a player or the floor before it's clear it will not be successful. GT comes to mind as a play that would end the FT before it's clear the try would be unsuccesful.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 09:50pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
I say the FT ends when the try touches the floor as in: a player bounces the ball in the lane to attempt a "bouncing shot."
Agree. It prevents showboat "Globetrotter" type of shots that are deemed not to be part of the game.

Quote:
Violation the ball is dead as soon as it bounces in the lane.
Agree, but just to be clear, the violation is not for bouncing in the lane. The bounce simply ends the free throw, as if a normal free throw had missed and then been rebounded. The violation is for a legal free throw which failed to strike the ring or enter the basket before the free throw ended.
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 06:08am
Esteemed Forum Member

Sweet Georgia Brown ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
It prevents showboat "Globetrotter" type of shots that are deemed not to be part of the game.
I could have sworn that the NFHS deemed giant rubber bands to be legal?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)