The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 12:54am
AremRed

Stuff coaches say

Didn't really fit in the meme thread but this happened Sunday.

Team B has a player injured on offense. Team A grabs the rebound and starts to fast break the other way. I run down as Lead tableside. Team A stops their break and pulls the ball outside the 3 point line. I blow play dead.

Coach A: "You can't do that!"

Me: "I can and I just did."

Coach A: "You're wrong."

Me: "Coach, player safety is m-"

Coach A: "YOU'RE WRONG" as he walks away.

Last edited by AremRed; Tue Jul 22, 2014 at 01:48am.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

Obviously I don't know what tone you used but "I can and I just did" sounds too confrontational.

How about: "Coach, when your team stops trying to score I'm supposed to blow the play dead." It's a few more words but in one sentence you let him know why the whistle blew and - indirectly - that there's a rule-related reason for it. If he complains after that it's on him.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 03:06am
This IS My Social Life

Seven Words

"I'd do the same for your team, coach."
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 08:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Obviously I don't know what tone you used but "I can and I just did" sounds too confrontational.

How about: "Coach, when your team stops trying to score I'm supposed to blow the play dead." It's a few more words but in one sentence you let him know why the whistle blew and - indirectly - that there's a rule-related reason for it. If he complains after that it's on him.
Summer ball, I may have said the same thing; and quietly regretted it.

I also might have ignored it in summer ball.

High school ball, the coaches around here don't bitch about this kind of stuff.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 09:12am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
"I'd do the same for your team, coach."
"Per the rule book, I can."

6 words
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 09:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Summer?

I'd probably just smile and walk away.

I'll get a chance Sunday. I'm working games 3-6 of my summer. Disney money.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Good on the spot decision to "kill the play".
No one is out there being paid to be at the gym but you. It is your responsibility to monitor such activity. In this day and age when everything is videotaped [and your game may have been being recorded on a cell phone as mine usually are by fans instands], then as an Independent Contractor (read as: hoops ref) they [the injured kid's parents] could hold you liable if that injured kid started convulsing and you just let a game continue on without giving a chance for medical or helpful assistance.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 10:09am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Summer ball, I may have said the same thing; and quietly regretted it.

I also might have ignored it in summer ball.

High school ball, the coaches around here don't bitch about this kind of stuff.
Yeah it was confrontational, but I'd do it again. The coach didn't even hear me in the state he was in, he was focused on this injustice I had done him.

It probably didn't help that when I blew the play dead the injured player had stood up and the coach's team had started to run a pick and roll to exploit the man down. It was three person and I should have let my C or T take care of it cuz they were closer to the injury.

Thankfully the coach didn't say anything else to me the rest of the game.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 10:51am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
It probably didn't help that when I blew the play dead the injured player had stood up...
That's a key detail.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 11:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
That's a key detail.
Standing up doesn't mean he's not injured.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 12:29pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Didn't really fit in the meme thread but this happened Sunday.

Team B has a player injured on offense. Team A grabs the rebound and starts to fast break the other way. I run down as Lead tableside. Team A stops their break and pulls the ball outside the 3 point line. I blow play dead.

Coach A: "You can't do that!"

Me: "I can and I just did."

Coach A: "You're wrong."

Me: "Coach, player safety is m-"

Coach A: "YOU'RE WRONG" as he walks away.

MTD, Jr., and I are officiating (two-man crew) a boys' H.S. summer camp in June with multiple sites being utilized. We are officiating a varsity level game between a team from NE Ohio (Visiting Team) and the team (Home Team) whose site where this particular game is being played.

I am T on the Table Side when a scramble for a loose ball develops in front of me. V-1 dives for the ball but dives late because when his forehead smacks the hardwood floor H-1 is twenty feet into his team's frontcourt with an uncontested layup in front of him. V-1's immediate reaction to hitting the floor with his head was to grab his head and curl into a ball. I blew the ball dead immediately.

H-HC complains that I can't stop the game when his player has an uncontested layup in front of him. I told him yes I can because the player had a head injury. His response: "No you can't." Did I tell you all that this was just a summer team camp with nothing at stake. Sometimes coaches brains are located in the South end of a North bound donkey.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 01:06pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAUMP View Post
So you immediately stopped the play from the L? Why were you even looking down there to see the injured player? Did the player go down while his team had the ball, or while you were in transition? If I was the old T and there was a turnover making me the new L on a fast break, I wouldn't know if a player went down during the transition or not. The injured player may have simply taken his time to get up and wasn't really injured. That is why you have to rely on your partners to evaluate the situation. Also, the new T should have stayed back with the injured player.
Uhmmm, did you read his OP?

He said they had pulled the ball back out behind the 3 point line before he blew it dead...and he said the player went down before the breaking team rebounded the ball.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 01:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

It amazes me when seemingly trained officials act like we can't see what's happening elsewhere because it's not in our "primary."

Sometimes, the only person that can see the injured player is the person looking in that direction, even if it's just in the periphery.

I have no problem with what the OP did. It met the spirit and letter of the rule.

And maybe the T/C didn't see it. Maybe they did. So what?
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 02:01pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It amazes me when seemingly trained officials act like we can't see what's happening elsewhere because it's not in our "primary."

Sometimes, the only person that can see the injured player is the person looking in that direction, even if it's just in the periphery.

I have no problem with what the OP did. It met the spirit and letter of the rule.

And maybe the T/C didn't see it. Maybe they did. So what?
I try to be aware of everything happening on my court. As I run to new Lead I am always looking over my shoulder at competitive matchups and spotted the downed player. I'm not sure Trail or C saw it but frankly I didn't care. I'm trying to referee with an R mentality and I took charge once I saw the fast break stop. If I were working with more trusted partners then I would approach things differently.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 03:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

5-8-2-A: Time-out occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official ... Stops play ... Because of an injury as in 3-3-6, 7.

NOTE: When a player is injured as in Art. 2(a), the official may suspend play after the ball
is dead or is in control of the injured player’s team or when the opponents complete a
play. A play is completed when a team loses control (including throwing for goal) or
withholds the ball from play by ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a
scoring position. When necessary to protect an injured player, the official may immediately suspend play.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)