The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 20, 2014, 08:44pm
Ok is the new good

Double Whistle

Summer time experience...

1) With new rule on the release on FT..seeing many more lane violations.

2) Increase in double whistles..not sure why...people calling out of Primary?

3) Coaches complaining about Double Whistles...example: one ref has a hold other has a held ball.

Comments and summer observations that you have seen??
Old Sun Jul 20, 2014, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post

Have called one or two violations each tournament on shooter or players beyond the three point arch for entering on release but they get it real quick after that. Probably about the same rate as I call it during the season - once every 10 or so games. Some coaches have asked for clarification but once new rule is explained ("its only the marked ,and spaces coach") they have had no issues with it. As with all new/changed rules, its on them to read them and teach the kds.

Have not experienced #2 or #3 at all this summer. If/when it does happen I hope we will have pregamed to hold off on giving signals until we at least make some eye contact or otherwise communicate.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2014, 10:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

A lot of officials really do not hustle at all in the summertime.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2014, 11:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I have seen fewer violations. Actually I have seen some players still wait for the ball to hit something before entering. Once again, great rules change.

Quote:

3) Coaches complaining about Double Whistles...example: one ref has a hold other has a held ball.

Not seeing either of those two things. Actually it was a typical summer. AAU is a mess. High school coaches and fans do not now the rules. Officials working games they would not work during the regular season. Nothing has changed but the calendar on year.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 21, 2014, 06:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Chicken Or Egg ???

Quote:
Double Whistles...example: one ref has a hold other has a held ball.
Happens to me at least once every high school varsity season. Simple fix. Get together. Which came first? "I saw your hold, but I saw my held ball first."
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 21, 2014 at 05:25pm.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2014, 07:14am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Happens to me at least once every high school varsity season. Simple fix. Get together. Which came first? "I saw your hold, but I called a held ball first."
What if the Hold happened first? It only matters whose whistle blew first?
Old Mon Jul 21, 2014, 08:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

#3, ignore them.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2014, 03:24pm
AremRed

Quote:

1. Yes. Every shooter's release is slightly different and when players are trying to time their entrance into the lane they often enter early. Bad rule change IMO.

2. We talking 2 or 3 person? 2 man requires calling out of your primary because the angles aren't that great. Calling out of primary doing 3 person might be just due to fewer experienced officials working summer ball.

3. Could be due to calling out of primary, but probably due to not knowing who has the best look at a play and being patient to let that person see the whole play start, develop, and finish. I called one just yesterday going away from me at C where I should have let Lead call the OOB instead of me call a foul.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2014, 05:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Easy Peasey Lemon Squezy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
What if the Hold happened first? It only matters whose whistle blew first?
If hold happens first: "I saw your held ball, but I saw my hold first."

Also, the whistle seldom causes the ball to become dead (Basketball Rules Fundamental #16) . The foul, or violation, causes the ball to become dead, so it's not the first whistle that determines the call, it's the first action that causes the ball to become dead. Some officials have a longer "lag time" between the action and the whistle than others.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Jul 21, 2014, 05:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let It Hit Goes The Way Of The Buggy Whip ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Every shooter's release is slightly different and when players are trying to time their entrance into the lane they often enter early.
Good point. It was probably easier to "time" the hit.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 21, 2014 at 05:38pm.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2014, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Not currently working but...

1) Seems odd. I would expect to see less on the release.
2) Ball watching.
3) Expected if you have double whistles with different calls.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 03:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
I would expect to see less on the release.
So you believe that it's easier for a player on a marked lane space to "time" a shooter's release (with all different types of shooting styles) then it is to "time" when a released ball will hit the rim, or the backboard?

I disagree with you. I like the rule change, but I think that we will have more, maybe not a lot more, but more players entering early with the change. We really need to be on our toes with the rule change.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 22, 2014 at 05:18pm.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2014, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So you believe that it's easier for a player on a marked lane space to "time" a shooter's release (with all different types of shooting styles) then it is to "time" when a released ball will hit the rim, or the backboard?

I disagree with you. I like the rule change, but I think that we will have more, maybe not a lot more, but more players entering early with the change. We really need to be on our toes with the rule change.
I think it's less about them timing the release as it is they have more time to get in position when they start on the release as opposed to the hit - the ball still has to make it's way to the basket before they can try and get it. So they don't have as much of a (maybe false) sense of urgency that they need to start moving, before they are allowed to, to get into position.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2014, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Happens to me at least once every high school varsity season. Simple fix. Get together. Which came first? "I saw your hold, but I saw my held ball first."
Curious to hear your all opinions of this ... If there is a double whistle for a (hold / held ball), the hold is almost always first. My thinking is that during the loose ball, one official saw the foul before the held ball (if it wasn't before the held ball, that official would have called the held ball). The other didn't see the foul and thus called a held ball. So by default, the hold must have occured first.

Does this make sense to you all? I know this isn't always true, but for the held ball to have occured first, this would mean that one of the officials didn't see the held ball. Given that held balls are pretty obvious to just about everyone in the gym, how likely is it that the held ball occured before the hold?
Old Wed Jul 23, 2014, 10:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
Curious to hear your all opinions of this ... If there is a double whistle for a (hold / held ball), the hold is almost always first. My thinking is that during the loose ball, one official saw the foul before the held ball (if it wasn't before the held ball, that official would have called the held ball). The other didn't see the foul and thus called a held ball. So by default, the hold must have occured first.

Does this make sense to you all? I know this isn't always true, but for the held ball to have occured first, this would mean that one of the officials didn't see the held ball. Given that held balls are pretty obvious to just about everyone in the gym, how likely is it that the held ball occured before the hold?
Personally I think you are over thinking this situation. Often we call what we see anyway. I do not agree that the hold often occurs first. Often when players are struggling with the ball, they twist and move positions. I see a lot of held balls first then the action looks worse when not called earlier. I think all we can do is call what we see and make a determination if something happen first. If you see the hold or grab, call that.

Peace