The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Double Whistle Situation

I'm lead. A1 goes up for a shot in the lane. I blow the whistle because I see a foul on B1. My partner blows his whistle at the same time and immediately signals jump ball. The problem is that I've got my fist in the air.

How do I handle that?
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 08:36pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
I'm lead. A1 goes up for a shot in the lane. I blow the whistle because I see a foul on B1. My partner blows his whistle at the same time and immediately signals jump ball. The problem is that I've got my fist in the air.

How do I handle that?
Get together and decide which happened first, and try to be aware of your partner's whistle so this won't happen again.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 08:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Which Happened First ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Get together and decide which happened first, and try to be aware of your partner's whistle so this won't happen again.
Use statements like, "I saw, and agree with your jump ball call, but I'm sure that my foul came first", or your partner may say, "I saw, and agree that that was a foul, but I'm sure that my jump ball came first". Without acknowledging that you saw each other's call, there's no way to tell which happened first.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 08:53pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Use statements like, "I saw, and agree with your jump ball call, but I'm sure that my foul came first", or your partner may say, "I saw, and agree that that was a foul, but I'm sure that my jump ball came first". Without acknowledging that you saw each other's call, there's no way to tell which happened first.
Sounds good to me. I originally typed "try to decide which came first" then left out the try. Right or wrong, in this situation the officials must decide which came first. There is no way to enforce both. ***

*** Where I come from, there's no such thing as a blarge. One of these things also happens before the other.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

You see foul/held ball from time to time, you also see foul/travel. Nobody has done anything wrong when this happens. You just have to decide which came first. Normally it's a "travel into the foul" and the partner with the travel can come out with "First" and the travel signal as it's fairly easy for the partner with the travel to see the sequence of events clearly. With the foul/held ball, you've got to get together and determine which happened first.

Not sure what's up with the admonition to "try to be aware of your partner's whistle so this won't happen again". You've both got a call, neither knows what the other has. Blow the whistle, get together and come to the right decision.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
You see foul/held ball from time to time, you also see foul/travel. Nobody has done anything wrong when this happens. You just have to decide which came first. Normally it's a "travel into the foul" .
Actually, what I see more often is, "the foul caused the travel". But then, maybe it depends on the different between JH girls, and varsity boys. wink, wink...
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 10:02pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post

Not sure what's up with the admonition to "try to be aware of your partner's whistle so this won't happen again".
Often, not always, if two officials have a whistle, one can easily yield to the other before making conflicting signals.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Actually, what I see more often is, "the foul caused the travel". But then, maybe it depends on the different between JH girls, and varsity boys. wink, wink...
Fair enough. Though the foul usually is usually pretty obviously before, and a result of, the foul. I don't recall many double whistle on one of these where both officials don't have the foul.

But maybe I Just need to get out more.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Often, not always, if two officials have a whistle, one can easily yield to the other before making conflicting signals.
Okay, I can live with that. However, in this situation, if it's obvious that you have something very different than your partner, I don't think you should yield. Unless you are certain what your partner has came first. There is no shame in both of you coming out with something different, so long as you can quickly and smoothly resolve it.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 10:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post

How do I handle that?
If you're positive the foul occurred first, look at your partner and say, "I got it!, ...fouled before the jump."

...Or, did the defender prevent the release [held ball] and then make incidental contact ?

There are a coupla options here.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 10:40pm
This IS My Social Life

Upraised Open Hand?

Could this be one of the reasons the movement seems to be going toward closing down on a jump ball situation and stopping the clock with the whistle and an upraised open hand rather than going immediately to the "thumbs up"? Not sure.
I appreciate all the follow-ups responses to this thread so far.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

This is covered precisely in...

case 2.6.B
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

I haven't really noticed a "movement" on this. But closing down is a really good idea. Bad things can easily happen on a held ball, especially if the players are on the floor. Close down. Be vocal. Encourage the players to stop play. Make every effort to be very obviously "right there".
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 01:29am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Sounds good to me. I originally typed "try to decide which came first" then left out the try. Right or wrong, in this situation the officials must decide which came first. There is no way to enforce both. ***

*** Where I come from, there's no such thing as a blarge. One of these things also happens before the other.
What happens in your area, when it's just one-on-one, A1 and B1, and two officials signal two different fouls: a block and a charge?

In this case, there is no "this happened first". It's the same contact. One official judged it to be a block. The other, a PC.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 02:30am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
What happens in your area, when it's just one-on-one, A1 and B1, and two officials signal two different fouls: a block and a charge?

In this case, there is no "this happened first". It's the same contact. One official judged it to be a block. The other, a PC.
One official yields to the judgment of the other. A signal does not a call make.

Lonesome Dove