The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 08, 2014, 09:38am
This IS My Social Life

An Informal Survey

A Survey:
Either from a leadership perspective or from a grass roots member's point of view, what do you consider your officials' association's "Core Value"? In other words, what specifically is it that you deem most valuable for your association to provide those who utilize your services? How would you put it in your own words?
Old Tue Jul 08, 2014, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Professionalism. Non-reffing dress code, to all interactions with coaches our association preaches being professional.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2014, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with ballgame99-same thing for us in volleyball and basketball.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Tue Jul 08, 2014, 12:40pm
This IS My Social Life

Toying with...

Same play gets the same call/no-call regardless where, by, or between whom.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2014, 01:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I'd shy away from that, as it can be misinterpreted pretty easily.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2014, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is that really true?

Just playing devil's advocate...if a game starts out "a little chippy" and you have tried talking post players out of bumping in/near the paint, a little hip (even if they are not trying to feed the post at that ecxact moment) in the first minute of Q2 may get a whistle and a soft comment "I tried to warn you" as you go to report. Fast forward to the last minute of a tied game...will that exact same little bump under the exact same circumstances get a whistle? My guess is for most officials the answer would be no.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2014, 01:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
Is that really true?

Just playing devil's advocate...if a game starts out "a little chippy" and you have tried talking post players out of bumping in/near the paint, a little hip (even if they are not trying to feed the post at that ecxact moment) in the first minute of Q2 may get a whistle and a soft comment "I tried to warn you" as you go to report. Fast forward to the last minute of a tied game...will that exact same little bump under the exact same circumstances get a whistle? My guess is for most officials the answer would be no.
If it's something you've called earlier, letting it go in the last minute is not the way to go.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2014, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

I think this is three things that my association does/provides to schools/leagues that I don't see in other "non-association" games that I work.

1) a certain expectation of professionalism from all the officials (dress code to games, arrive on time, etc)

2) a certain level of training/competence from all the officials (obviously not perfect, but schools/leagues using our association know that the officials will be trained and competent to work the level assigned).

3) all the administration involved (one point of contact who takes care of everything involved with officials (scheduling, paying)
Old Tue Jul 08, 2014, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If it's something you've called earlier, letting it go in the last minute is not the way to go.
I agree with you and that is something I get "dinged" on from time to time. I have had a lot of partners that do not follow that logic.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2014, 02:41pm
Administrator

Quote:
Is that really true?

Battery Powered:

You told them the first time they started to get "chippy". Why did you wait to the Second Quarter to finally put air in your whistle? One "talking to" and then the whistle.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jul 08, 2014, 03:25pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Is that really true?

Good point. Given the totality of whole game, that wouldn't be the same play due to the changed circumstances between the two sitches you state. Now, for the entire association or assigning pool to be trained to understand the distinction you make and judge accordingly and similarly in the same "whole game" situation(s) you cite, that's what I mean by it.
I am, however, reconsidering the phraseology of what I'm toying with due to your concern.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2014, 03:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Good point. Given the totality of whole game, that -- and perhaps this is stretching it a little bit -- wouldn't be the same play due to the changed circumstances between the two sitches you state. Now, for the entire association or assigning pool to be trained to understand the distinction you make and judge accordingly, that's what I mean by it.
I am, however, reconsidering the phraseology of what I'm toying with due to your concern.
This is why I'm generally not a fan of the term. The chances of two identical plays happening in the same game are nearly zero. There's always some difference, and whether that difference is significant enough to warrant a different call is up to the calling official.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2014, 03:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Iaabo ...

To educate, train, develop, and provide continuous instruction for basketball officials.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jul 08, 2014, 03:48pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Now, for the entire association or assigning pool to be trained to understand the distinction you make and judge accordingly and similarly in the same "whole game" situation(s) you cite, that's what I mean by it.

Good luck with this endeavor. It isn't even remotely realistic or possible.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2014, 04:35pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Good luck with this endeavor. It isn't even remotely realistic or possible.
Admittedly.
Yet any good association has a trainer or a training staff who works with a set of aims, sometimes lofty ones.
Or else by default they unwittingly target mediocrity and get even less.
Aimin' high here.