The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

"Informal" signals

Wanted to start a separate thread for this. On the NFHS forum I've read about "unofficial" signals (though I can't seem to find any mention of it right now as I look through their site). I worked with a veteran last week who was using a signal for a joust (I managed to work that into my JV/V match a few times), but was wondering if anyone could share any other informal signals which would be helpful in communicating with your partner or communicating your thought process to a coach. By the way, the signal he used for a joust was to make a circle with both hands.
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
I don't use a signal for a joust. Here are some (probably not all) of the informal signals I use.

"2" or lift in my chest: "You might want to call that double/lift."

"2" or lift signal really beating my chest: "Blow yer whistle NOW and call double/lift."

"4" in my chest: "The next contact will be 4 hits on the other team. Usually given after a taped shot, and this is my way of letting my partner know I saw no ouch by the block.

Head shaking no on a ball out of bounds: "I saw no touch."

Back row signal cocked into my chest: "That was a back row player, blow your whistle and signal illegal attack or give me some sort of safe signal."

Back row block signal chest high: "We either have an illegal block or reaching over, you might want to blow your whistle."

Discrete overlap signal given as R or U: "You've got an overlap you might want to pay attention to."

Some people pat their inside or outside legs to indicate a front row or back row setter.

Head nodding affirmatively: "Good call, I completely agree."

(As R) making a slight pushing down motion: "Coach, not an illegal attack because the ball was slightly below the net."

I'll sometimes make what you described as a jousting motion to a coach to signal "ball," as in it was the ball in the net, not the player.

Pat to my chest to a coach: "Coach, I might have missed that one, my fault, I'll get the next one." (Yes, coaches really do respond positively to this...as long as you don't abuse it.)

That's all I've got for now...I'm sure I've got more, but I don't pay attention to them as much.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 12:12am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
I can only think of a couple that Felix didn't mention:

Index finger to the opposite shoulder indicating game point on the side to which it is pointing.

Safe sign indicating that the back-row player was behind the attack line at point of contact or that the ball was below the top of the net when it was attacked by the back-row player.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)