The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 15, 2014, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with bainsey on this. When I first saw this play I had the sound down on my CPU. The T put her arms out and back down so fast I had no idea it was a DF. I only figured it out when I saw the ball being put in play via a throw-in.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 06:02am
Esteemed Forum Member

Double Trouble ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I think a lot of refs use the double foul call as a cop-out, because they weren't paying close enough attention.
Agree, because I've done it myself. I know, in my mind, that something must have happened, that I missed, to lead up to the "double trouble". Just because I missed the first illegal contact, doesn't mean that I'm going to let the players continue to whack each other, so I end up, reluctantly, calling the double foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 06:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I'm not saying you can't have a double foul, but chances are one came before the other. I think a lot of refs use the double foul call as a cop-out, because they weren't paying close enough attention.
Cop-out implies a lack of intestinal fortitude. I look at it more as not seeing the whole play. I'd rather have a partner call a double foul, instead of letting the 2 players continue to pound on each other.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Jun 16, 2014 at 08:25am.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

I generally don't have a big problem with calling double fouls for rough post play where both players are instigating equally. Although here, I don't think it is a double foul.

Either white holds initially (can't tell from the video angle, but the calling official should have been able to see this). If white isn't holding early, then I don't see anything illegal after that and the foul would be on the offensive for pushing off with her forearm. Two separate plays in my opinion, and not close enough to warrent a double foul.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

When in doubt, call the foul on the girl with the headgear. Guessing you don't wear headgear in women's basketball unless you are a banger.

I see this as being initiated by black, then a reaction by white, both of which are fouls. Get the first one, although that is easier said than done sometimes.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

1 - If we are cleaning up rough play I don't care who gets it so long as its got.

2- If we don't see who starts it then I'm ok with whoever gets it getting double foul.

3- I would prefer that someone get the first action and call that before we get to that point.

That being said we can't contrl overreactions/ unexpected reactions to things we were willing to pass on.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 09:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Cop-out implies a lack of intestinal fortitude. I look at it more as not seeing the whole play. I'd rather have a partner call a double foul, instead of letting the 2 players continue to pound on each other.
I also think officials use this as a cop-out still. They do not want to piss off one team so they call a double foul when one contact clearly took place first. That being said, this has been acceptable for a long time. I used to buy into this even when the contact was not at the same time, which basically is the requirement for a double foul to be called. I just think this is not a good situation where you can default on a double foul. The player in black clearly was pushing off the white player and then the white player reacted. Get the first foul.

Heck I remember going to John Adam's camp back in the day and he said, "If you miss the first foul, miss the second foul, call the third foul" when he would talk about post play. But that was also a long time ago and before he was the NCAA Director and there was more emphasis on freedom of movement.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Jun 16, 2014 at 09:38am.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 09:45am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I also think officials use this as a cop-out still. They do not want to piss off one team so they call a double foul when one contact clearly took place first. That being said, this has been acceptable for a long time. I used to buy into this even when the contact was not at the same time, which basically is the requirement for a double foul to be called. I just think this is not a good situation where you can default on a double foul. The player in black clearly was pushing off the white player and then the white player reacted. Get the first foul.

Heck I remember going to John Adam's camp back in the day and he said, "If you miss the first foul, miss the second foul, call the third foul" when he would talk about post play. But that was also a long time ago and before he was the NCAA Director and there was more emphasis on freedom of movement.

Peace
At least someone who calls a double foul is paying attention to off-ball coverage and is probably coachable into being more diligent about getting the first illegal contact in the future.

I've worked with officials who have no idea what is going on off-ball.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 10:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
At least someone who calls a double foul is paying attention to off-ball coverage and is probably coachable into being more diligent about getting the first illegal contact in the future.

I've worked with officials who have no idea what is going on off-ball.
That is true. You are not a ball watcher in most cases if you call a double foul. Or you watched the action late. Not disagreeing with you there, I just like the first foul to be called. I pride myself on getting the first call even when there is a reaction. Sometimes the reaction helps me make the call that action that happened first.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

I believe that even if one started it and we see who started it that it can still be a double foul if the 2nd player responds by fouling at almost the same time (before we blow the whistle). It isn't a matter of seeing who started it but just cleaning up rough play when both are just as guilty.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
2nd Overtime, 3:31 to go, 2 point game, Home leading.

Whistle -- thought: Is it easier to sell/explain the dbl foul, than a foul on White for holding, or a foul on Black for holding off the defender?
With the dbl foul, it just goes to a throw-in. Maybe, a no-call accomplishes the same thing, since the play seemed to progress with no overwhelming need for the whistle.
With three and change to go in OT, your thought process is a cop out ( with all due respect ), I'm sure there was banging in the post all game long and NOW we are going to call a double.....blow you whistle call the first foul an do the same thing on thhe other end............
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 01:29pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It isn't a matter of seeing who started it but just cleaning up rough play when both are just as guilty.
Exactly. Sometimes, the message is, "both of you, knock it off."

I think the best thing they did several years ago was changing the result of a double foul from the arrow to POI (assuming team control exists). I haven't been blowing a whistle that long, but long enough to dislike the arrow. I always thought the arrow discouraged the double foul call.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
With three and change to go in OT, your thought process is a cop out ( with all due respect ), I'm sure there was banging in the post all game long and NOW we are going to call a double.....blow you whistle call the first foul an do the same thing on thhe other end............
MS, my comment about the possible thought precess of the official making the call in this video, was an attempt to understand why the whistle seemed (to me) to be so late, and at the moment when the offensive player was reacting to the hold by the defense. To me, at that moment, the only call would have to be a dbl foul.
I agree with you that the first illegal action should be called; and if it were, this video wouldn't be a topic for discussion.

As others have said, it is rare, but sometimes neccessary, to go to the dbl because the second action is enough that it also needs to be penalized.

Actually, from the angle of the Lead, the hold by the defense would have been an easy call. And, if he had called it, this video would not be a topic.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 02:53pm
Esteemed Participant

Not sure why anyone would think that calling a DF here is a "cop-out"...black 41 (in lovely headgear) displaces and stiff arms white 23 at the same time that white 23 is holding (clamping both arms around the arm of 41)...that would be the very definition of a DF. There was no "first foul" to get on this play.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 04:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Of Course, Approximately Is Subjective, And Relative ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... even when the contact was not at the same time, which basically is the requirement for a double foul to be called.
Same time? Not quite. The rule reads, "approximately the same time".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)