The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 15, 2014, 08:36pm
C'mon man!!

Start the clock....

If the first touch on a throw in is an illegal touch (ie kick, two hand grab on a jump, etc) does the clock start?
Old Thu May 15, 2014, 08:57pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
If the first touch on a throw in is an illegal touch (ie kick, two hand grab on a jump, etc) does the clock start?
There shouldn't be, but you might depending on how fast/how antsy the clock operator is.

And no, there is no mandatory run-off. I know you didn't ask, just trying to promote awareness. I had an R this year take off .3 after a quick touch and deflection OOB when the clock had not started. This was right after I (C tableside) told the coach who wanted time to come off that unless we have definite knowledge (like a count or looking at the clock when it should have stopped) then we cannot add/take off time. Yeah, that was a fun game.
Old Thu May 15, 2014, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

According to that rule book thing...

NFHS 5-9

2. If play is started or resumed by a jump, the clock shall be started when the tossed ball is legally touched.
3. If a free throw is not successful and the ball is to remain live, the clock shall be started when the ball touches or is touched by a player on the court.
4. If play is resumed by a throw-in, the clock shall be started when the ball touches, or is legally touched by, a player on the court after it is released by the thrower.

===================

NCAA 5-10-2

The game clock shall be started when:
a. An inbounds player legally touches the ball on a throw-in;
b. A tossed ball on a jump ball is legally touched; or
c. The ball legally touches a player on the playing court when a free throw is not successful and is to remain live.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Fri May 16, 2014 at 02:58am.
Old Fri May 16, 2014, 03:39am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
There shouldn't be, but you might depending on how fast/how antsy the clock operator is.

And no, there is no mandatory run-off. I know you didn't ask, just trying to promote awareness. I had an R this year take off .3 after a quick touch and deflection OOB when the clock had not started. This was right after I (C tableside) told the coach who wanted time to come off that unless we have definite knowledge (like a count or looking at the clock when it should have stopped) then we cannot add/take off time. Yeah, that was a fun game.
Second part of the question, if time did come off the clock would you correct it. Does it make a difference to you whether it is the jump ball to start the game or the final minutes of the game?
Old Fri May 16, 2014, 04:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Your examples don't mesh.
A kicked ball or one punched with a closed fist is an illegal first touch because that is not a legal manner in which to contact the ball. Therefore, no time comes off the clock and if any does it should be restored.
However, catching a jump ball is not an illegal touch, it is simply a jump ball violation. The same as stepping out of bounds with the ball is a violation. This action should be timed and whatever comes off the clock prior to the whistle sounding for the violation should not be restored.
Old Fri May 16, 2014, 06:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

Illegal Touch ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Catching a jump ball is not an illegal touch, it is simply a jump ball violation.
Are you sure? How about touching the jump ball while it's on its way up?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri May 16, 2014, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
However, catching a jump ball is not an illegal touch, it is simply a jump ball violation. The same as stepping out of bounds with the ball is a violation. This action should be timed and whatever comes off the clock prior to the whistle sounding for the violation should not be restored.
Case play, please?

Being called for a kick-ball on a throw-in is as much a violation as catching a jump ball or catching a throw-in pass while OOB. None of them is a legal touch of the ball. If any of them was they wouldn't be listed as violations.
Old Fri May 16, 2014, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Case play, please?

Being called for a kick-ball on a throw-in is as much a violation as catching a jump ball or catching a throw-in pass while OOB. None of them is a legal touch of the ball. If any of them was they wouldn't be listed as violations.
If the ball is tapped (with one hand) and then caught -- the clock runs.

If the ball is just caught with both hands (cleanly), then I would not run it.

I've never seen the latter.
Old Fri May 16, 2014, 07:35am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

The first touch would be legal and therefore not apply to the question at hand. Catching the ball with 2 hands would fall in the this category.
Old Fri May 16, 2014, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

If the ball is just caught with both hands (cleanly), then I would not run it.

I've never seen the latter.
You need to get around more I know I've had it a few times over the years.

And BNR is correct..
Old Fri May 16, 2014, 09:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
You need to get around more I know I've had it a few times over the years.

And BNR is correct..
I guess I have to get around more too. I have never seen a player catch the ball before the jump ball was tipped.

Peace
Old Fri May 16, 2014, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The first touch would be legal and therefore not apply to the question at hand. Catching the ball with 2 hands would fall in the this category.
Agreed -- just was trying to be sure we were all discussing the same play (esp. since I've never seen anyone even go for the "initial" touch with two hands)
Old Fri May 16, 2014, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

It happened once in a varsity game but I had it a few times in MS games (rec or otherwise), too. The scenario was always both jumpers missed the tap and before the ball hit the floor - obviously - one of the jumpers panicked and caught the ball. Then there would be that pregnant pause of "What the heck do we do now?" before the jumper dropped the ball as though it was a hand grenade.
Old Fri May 16, 2014, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

There were a few case plays/interps issued when the AP arrow rule was altered so that a team retained the arrow if the opponent kicked the ball on the initial touch of the throw-in pass.

One of the plays dealt with a player catching/touching the throw-in pass while standing on a boundary line. It said the touching was legal and the arrow switched, but it was an OOB violation and the opponent's ball at that new location.

From the above play, one can deduce that the NFHS ruling is that touching the ball with the hands (not a closed fist) is a legal action in itself. There may be other restrictions such as OOB, jump ball parameters, BI/GT, etc. which cause the touch to be a violation, but that doesn't mean that the touch isn't proper.

It may be parsing in a legal or exercise in mental logic, but that's the rationale for why such a touch would be timed.
Old Fri May 16, 2014, 05:11pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
There were a few case plays/interps issued when the AP arrow rule was altered so that a team retained the arrow if the opponent kicked the ball on the initial touch of the throw-in pass.

One of the plays dealt with a player catching/touching the throw-in pass while standing on a boundary line. It said the touching was legal and the arrow switched, but it was an OOB violation and the opponent's ball at that new location.

From the above play, one can deduce that the NFHS ruling is that touching the ball with the hands (not a closed fist) is a legal action in itself. There may be other restrictions such as OOB, jump ball parameters, BI/GT, etc. which cause the touch to be a violation, but that doesn't mean that the touch isn't proper.

It may be parsing in a legal or exercise in mental logic, but that's the rationale for why such a touch would be timed.
What do you mean the "touch would be timed"?

If the touch is a violation, the clock, if running, stops. If it isn't running, it doesn't start.

I seem to remember a spirited discussion with Jurassic Referee about this years ago.

Lonesome Dove