The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 13, 2014, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Someone address my point. If the defense it taking a path that causing them to displace the offensive player but allows this to block the ball how is that not a disadvantage to the offensive player? Play #4 for instance if the defender doesn't take the path that knocks the offensive player down he never blocks the shot. The fact that he hit the ball clean, ignoring the head hit on the follow through, is irrelevant to the fact that he went through the offensive player not only displacing him but also not allowing him a safe landing.

I understand that in the NBA that more contact is allowed on these types of plays. I am expressing my opinion on these plays as if they took place at the High school level.
On play #4 you can contend the defender actually made it to the "spot" (in the air) first. I can see calling the foul on the defender if he jumped toward the shooter, but he didn't. If he did the shooter would've fallen backwards. Now, I might be more sensitive to the head contact with younger players but with older BV players probably not. It would be considered more "the price of doing business" against a player who is nearly a foot taller. My attitude towards the head contact in NCAAW/GV (for me) game would be different but that's because we've been told how to handle those situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
In #1, the only fouls I see are illegal screens...the second of which (by #22) had a big part to do with the shooter getting open for the pass.
I completely understand why no fouls were called on the screens by Ginóbili and Splitter, especially when remembering this past season's NCAAW breakout video on screening. The part of the rule D. Williamson really emphasized when talking about screens was did the screener "contact and delay" the opponent. Ginóbili and Splitter (#1) made contact on Allen but didn't delay him from getting where he wanted to go. Splitter's second screen did both, though not initially, but Allen stopped trying to get around it. If he keeps making the attempt then there's a chance Splitter is called for a foul.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue May 13, 2014, 02:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I understand that in the NBA that more contact is allowed on these types of plays. I am expressing my opinion on these plays as if they took place at the High school level.
That would be incorrect. The NBA has better athletes. But to suggest that the NBA allows more contact is completely incorrect. NBA officials protect the shooter a lot better than other levels in my and other's opinion.

Also most experienced officials do not spend their time talking about what is different at each levels. I call the exact same game at the college level that I call at the HS level. I would call these plays at the HS level the same as I would in the college level.

Peace
Old Tue May 13, 2014, 02:30pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That would be incorrect. The NBA has better athletes. But to suggest that the NBA allows more contact is completely incorrect. NBA officials protect the shooter a lot better than other levels in my and other's opinion.

Also most experienced officials do not spend their time talking about what is different at each levels. I call the exact same game at the college level that I call at the HS level. I would call these plays at the HS level the same as I would in the college level.

Peace
I was referencing the plays at the basket like these and I stand by my statement that the NBA allows more contact on these plays then you typically see at high school level at least in my area.
Old Tue May 13, 2014, 02:33pm

What if the player is dribbling a ball at the top of the key. The defender charges him and slaps the ball away. A moment later the defender on the same path that allowed him to move in quickly enough to knock the ball away then runs into the offensive player and knock him down. Are we to also ignore this contact because the ball was already knocked away making everything that happens after incidental?
Old Tue May 13, 2014, 02:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
On play #4 you can contend the defender actually made it to the "spot" (in the air) first. I can see calling the foul on the defender if he jumped toward the shooter, but he didn't. If he did the shooter would've fallen backwards. Now, I might be more sensitive to the head contact with younger players but with older BV players probably not. It would be considered more "the price of doing business" against a player who is nearly a foot taller. My attitude towards the head contact in NCAAW/GV (for me) game would be different but that's because we've been told how to handle those situations.

I completely understand why no fouls were called on the screens by Ginóbili and Splitter, especially when remembering this past season's NCAAW breakout video on screening. The part of the rule D. Williamson really emphasized when talking about screens was did the screener "contact and delay" the opponent. Ginóbili and Splitter (#1) made contact on Allen but didn't delay him from getting where he wanted to go. Splitter's second screen did both, though not initially, but Allen stopped trying to get around it. If he keeps making the attempt then there's a chance Splitter is called for a foul.

I don't think you can say the defender beat him into the spot as he most definitely moved into his path after he began his upward motion. He would have only fallen backwards if the defender was in front of him to begin with.

I am not including the contact to the head as to why I believe this is a foul. However I would like to hear why you feel that it should not be one.

Last edited by jeremy341a; Tue May 13, 2014 at 02:38pm.
Old Tue May 13, 2014, 03:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I was referencing the plays at the basket like these and I stand by my statement that the NBA allows more contact on these plays then you typically see at high school level at least in my area.
These would not be seen as good calls for bigger school varsity boy's basketball.

Again, not a hard-fast rule as was stated, but I saw nothing that was egregious or over the top that had to be called.

Peace
Old Tue May 13, 2014, 04:02pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I would deem the contact between the players' legs to be incidental. The leg contact had nothing to do with the shooting motion of A1.

And I'll reiterate a favorite question around here... what did the defender do wrong?
Defender is moving toward the shooter.
Old Tue May 13, 2014, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am not including the contact to the head as to why I believe this is a foul. However I would like to hear why you feel that it should not be one.
Given the way the play progressed I don't feel the contact put the shooter at a disadvantage.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue May 13, 2014, 05:04pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Defender is moving toward the shooter.
Umm... ok, I guess. But that still does not convince me that no-calling this play is wrong.
Old Tue May 13, 2014, 08:49pm

9:45 remaking in 1st quarter of clippers/thunder game there was a block called a foul in a similar play to these. Could someone post the video so we can discuss this play?
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 05:54am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Umm... ok, I guess. But that still does not convince me that no-calling this play is wrong.
Me neither but if the defender were to be called for anything on this play it would be for moving forward into the shooter.