The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I debated using the word back and should have left it out. It's more my shoulder/side. If I am halfway between close down and the 3 point line and I am 45 degrees to each play then I am facing parallel the endline. If the corner is 90 degrees to my right, then I am primarily facing the low block, which is what I see every official on tv doing.

I wish the mechanics manual would come out and explicitly state that the Lead can peek at the corner three.
The NFHS manual can not, and will not cover all situations. But even in the manual it states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaddict View Post
NFHS Officials Manual 3.3.4 A (2):
If a shot is taken near an area where coverage intersects, the secondary official should be prepared to assist.

and

3.4.2 A (2):
Typically an official should call fouls in his/her PCA, but any foul observed should be called.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 03:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
But I wouldn't see the foul because I wouldn't be watching there. It's not my area. If I peek there then I miss something during the rebound.

"Did you see the foul" / "No." / "Why not?" / "I was watching the rebound play."
The phrase "it's not my area" isn't one I'm interested in hearing as a supervisor. As a coach, I'm even less inclined to listen to it.

I've been at camps where I was the guy saving the crew. The clinician is still pissed, but mainly because the primary didn't put a whistle on it and he's questioning his judgment / ability.

I've also passed on something when I didn't feel I had the best look. Best response there is to be silent and hope you don't get yelled at, too. Not the best position to be in.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 07:25am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The phrase "it's not my area" isn't one I'm interested in hearing as a supervisor. As a coach, I'm even less inclined to listen to it.
On the play we are discussing here, I agree this would be a poor explanation. However, your second sentence makes me laugh. I don't have any problem saying you are asking the wrong guy or worse when a dumbass coach asks me about a play outside of the top of the key when I am the L in a 3 man game. Truthfully, how the **** would I know what is happening out there.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 08:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
On the play we are discussing here, I agree this would be a poor explanation. However, your second sentence makes me laugh. I don't have any problem saying you are asking the wrong guy or worse when a dumbass coach asks me about a play outside of the top of the key when I am the L in a 3 man game. Truthfully, how the **** would I know what is happening out there.
It's much different to say, "I was looking elsewhere" than "That's not my area."
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
it's much different to say, "i was looking elsewhere" than "that's not my area."
+1.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
100% pure baloney. Rebounding, by definition, is what happens AFTER a shot is missed. A shot is needed for any "rebounding" plays to begin. By your logic I can say that scoring plays start in practice. Does that mean we need to show up 24 hours before the game to get in position during a teams practice?

Stop thinking, just officiate the action going on at the moment, you sound like you focus on a grain of sand. Our job is to police the beach.
This is a very poor post.
Plenty of rebounding fouls occur while the ball is in flight on the way to the basket as players attempt to obtain the best possible position in case of a miss.
AremRed has a legitimate point. Both are important and officials must make a choice about where to look and when. Deciding when to help and when to focus on one's primary is one of the difficulties faced by higher level officials.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Play happened this weekend in camp !!!!

Both observers ( combined 155 D1 games this year ) insisted that the L needs to make a call on this play. Get wide enough take a peek as the shot goes up and be prepared to blow.

Think how foolish it looks, as you are standing 3 ft from the play and you don't blow because of "potential" post problems !!! BALONEY !!!

As the C, I will be all over the rebouding coverage, knowing that my L is "helping the trail " for a split second.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2014, 01:14am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Both observers ( combined 155 D1 games this year ) insisted that the L needs to make a call on this play. Get wide enough take a peek as the shot goes up and be prepared to blow.

Think how foolish it looks, as you are standing 3 ft from the play and you don't blow because of "potential" post problems !!! BALONEY !!!

As the C, I will be all over the rebouding coverage, knowing that my L is "helping the trail " for a split second.
This post I think ties it all together. Coverage area is a guideline. If all ten player are on one side of the court and t and L are over there, does that mean that because the C has no one in their coverage area that he or she can just quit refereeing for a bit until some one crosses the magic line back into the C's area? Of course not. I think a big part of coverage area is match ups.

If I have four players in my PCA, two of which are bodie up fighting for position and two who aren't doing anything, who am I going to watch? The two bodied up.
In the play referenced in the OP, C has an important job and. That would be any match ups that era closest to him. It is Very unlikely in this play that anyone opposite the ball across the court would be doing anything that would warrant full attention. It is very likely that the nearest active match ups for C would be the impending rebounding action under the basket. That is where C should be helping out so T and L can cover their closest match ups. This play, just like any play, takes all three officials to do properly. They all need game awareness and full court awareness to everyone know what everyone is watching all of the time. Just my 2 cents.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2014, 07:06am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
... It is very likely that the nearest active match ups for C would be the impending rebounding action under the basket. That is where C should be helping out so T and L can cover their closest match ups. This play, just like any play, takes all three officials to do properly. They all need game awareness and full court awareness to everyone know what everyone is watching all of the time. Just my 2 cents.
Exactly. The C is more than capable of helping with the rebounding action if the Lead is looking away for a second.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2014, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
I think a big part of coverage area is match ups.
I sometimes teach that if the ball is in your PCA, you have the matchup that includes the ball. The other two officials divide the other four matchups up -- each taking the two that are closest to him / her (with adjustments when that "math" doesn't quite work out).

It's not a rule -- but it does help get the point across.

And, everyone needs to be *aware* of the ball and that match-up.

The issue, of course, is that one big-dog will think contact is big enough to get from across the court, and another will see the same contact and say to leave it alone.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2014, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Exactly. The C is more than capable of helping with the rebounding action if the Lead is looking away for a second.
I hope if i have to work with you in two weeks that you will be a great "help" official !!!!