The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 03, 2000, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Question

Late in a match with Team A leading by a goal, 3 players from team A surround the ball in and around it's own corner kick arc. Each player is within playing distance of the ball preventing B, by space, from getting to the ball. Is this legal? I have seen 1 player " take it to the corner", but never 3. Note even if B fouls one of the three players, a free kick is taken (with B 10 yds from the ball) and it starts all over again.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2000, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Yes its legal. The rules dont say how many can guard the ball. In this situation, hopefully, the kicker would boom the ball to the mid line and it would not start over again.
Hope we can get more people to use this page.
Old Sun Jul 16, 2000, 03:38am
Official Forum Member

You could make a case that it is unsporting conduct... the criteria for it are rather vague so its basically a discretionary call.

now....

the opposing players could gently try to push their way through with a very slow but fair "charge" (shoulder to shoulder)... and they could still be within "playing distance" of the ball. They can use contact as long as the force is not excessive (or reckless/careless). Basically they can try to walk between the players to get at the ball, but I guess those players could respond with equal (non excessive) force in standing there firmly... which brings us back to square 1.

If it happened a lot in major international / FIFA games, they would make some new rule to deal with it...

------------------
!
Old Fri Aug 11, 2000, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by crabber:
Late in a match with Team A leading by a goal, 3 players from team A surround the ball in and around it's own corner kick arc. Each player is within playing distance of the ball preventing B, by space, from getting to the ball. Is this legal? I have seen 1 player " take it to the corner", but never 3. Note even if B fouls one of the three players, a free kick is taken (with B 10 yds from the ball) and it starts all over again.

Old Tue Aug 15, 2000, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

I think Jeff summed it up pretty well right there

------------------
!
Old Tue Dec 19, 2000, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Cool

these players just get more creative all the time, don't they; it's amazing to me how intricately they can assess and interpret the rules to find ways of "getting around them" but they can't remember the very basics when it comes time for you to enforce a call against them [I didn't know I couldn't run into the keeper"]

I would agree with rapmaster on the unsporting call; you may incur the wrath of Coach A, but it IS your decision as to what constitutes "unsportsmanlike"; from a coaching perspective, I would remind my players [Team B] that while Team A has latitude [temporary partial suspension of obstruction due to playing distance] so does Team B [temporary partial suspension of charging from behind] and as an official, I would most likely expand the latitude I would award to Team B in this situation

tricky little so-and-so's; amazing