The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 09, 2014, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Post Basic Hypothetical Basketball Rule

If one were to drive to the lane and attempt a layup, but have his shot blocked (when the shot was blocked, he lost possession but regained possession without the ball touching the ground...then proceeded to finish the layup and score), would that be considered a double-dribble/travel? Thank you.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2014, 08:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure if you are an official or coach or even fan, but you cannot double dribble or travel after taking a shot. For one you cannot double dribble unless you by rule stopped your dribble and dribbled again. You can always recover a try attempt (even if blocked) and do what you did before you took the shot.

I hope that kind of helps.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 09, 2014, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Yes, thank you, I have been playing the game for years and have officiated at low levels. The only reason I mentioned the double dribble/travel is that I was accused of committing one/both of those when my layup was blocked, I lost possession, regained possession, and finished the layup. Some know-it-alls who have never played basketball in their lives tried to tell me I double dribbled. Even one of my teammates agreed with them. But truly, they just don't understand the game.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2014, 09:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

It is not so much about who played the game. I played the game and did not know most of the rules until I officiated. But you cannot have a double dribble without a dribble. That has nothing to do with knowing the game if you do not know the defintions the rules define.

Peace.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2014, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenf View Post
Yes, thank you, I have been playing the game for years and have officiated at low levels. The only reason I mentioned the double dribble/travel is that I was accused of committing one/both of those when my layup was blocked, I lost possession, regained possession, and finished the layup. Some know-it-alls who have never played basketball in their lives tried to tell me I double dribbled. Even one of my teammates agreed with them. But truly, they just don't understand the game.
That is a bit snarky for your second post...don't you think. You say you "have officiated at low levels". My snarky response back is; Have you actually read the rule book? Seems to me if you have, you would know you cannot have a double dribble if there was no dribble. You would also know that you can be called for a travel for reasons other than gathering one of your shots that was blocked. Are you absolutely certain you didn't shuffle your feet? Is it possible it looked like you drug your pivot foot. You see, we have no way of knowing everything that happened after the shot was blocked and how long it took you to get off the lay-up. Maybe the official didn't want to bring you shame by calling you for a three second violation because it took you so long to get off the second shot.

It is these know-it-all has been players that think they can officiate just because they know how to dribble and shoot a lay-up that make if frustrating to real officials who work at the craft.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2014, 08:53am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
If one were to drive to the lane and attempt a layup, but have his shot blocked (when the shot was blocked, he lost possession but regained possession without the ball touching the ground......
He lost possession as soon as he released the shot; the block has nothing to do with it. Player & team control end when a shot is released. Therefore the player regaining possession has REBOUNDED the ball and may establish a new pivot foot or begin a new dribble.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2014, 08:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Some know-it-alls who have never played basketball in their lives tried to tell me I double dribbled.
I haven't played basketball in decades, not competitively anyway. This is completely irrelevant to whether you, in fact, violated.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2014, 08:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

They probably think you can't rebound your own airball.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2014, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
They probably think you can't rebound your own airball.
Which is the case in the NBA.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2014, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sounds like these know-it-alls who've never played were good enough to block your shot. Stuffed it right down on you.