The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Basic Basketball rules for Teachers

Heya all, been a while.

I am in the process of organising a VERY basic introduction to basketball and its rules for high school teachers. Basketball in schools in Australia is very different to America. There is little or no organisation and expertise. In my high school we have 8 basketball teams (4 boys, 4 girls) and I am the only teacher that is in charge of a team that knows anything about the game at all.

So, I have put together a brief document that will allow the supervising teachers to at least understand what is going on. Sadly, often these teachers will also have to referee the games

This document will most likely be the only document that any of them look at (and most likely only once). So it needs to be brief, accurate and easy to follow.

For some reason I couldn't attach the document (even tho it was only 50kb) so here is the next post has the text of what is in it - message me if you want me to email a copy to you.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Part 1

__________________________________________________ ____________
Introduction

Basketball is played with teams of up to 10 players. Each team may have 5 players on the court at any one time. While there are no mandatory positions players usually fall into one of three categories:
Centre – the “big guy”, good at rebounding and shooting close to the basket
Forwards – the two next tallest players, similar to the centre but usually quicker and better ball handlers
Guards – the two smallest players, the main ball handlers, good passers and can shoot from long range.
Timing

The timing of basketball games various according to the level of the game.
For the Tweed Valley competition the timing is as follows:>>
2 x 20 minute halves (clock does not stop)
5 minute halftime (can be shortened if both teams agree)

The Court

The red section is called the key. When on offense, players are only allowed to be in the key for 3 seconds. This 3 seconds resets every time a shot is taken. It applies to all offensive players, both with the ball and without.
The sidelines are out of bounds. Players cannot touch the sideline when inbounding the ball.
Scoring

Baskets shot from outside the large semi-circle are worth 3 points
All other shots during play are worth 2 points
Free throws (as a result of a foul) are worth 1 point

Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Part 2

Violations

There are many violations in basketball. All result in the opposition team being awarded the ball from the nearest out of bounds point.
Some basic violations and the referee’s signals are:

Travelling

Players cannot run with the ball

Double dribble

Once a player picks up their dribble they cannot restart it. Players can only dribble with one hand at a time

Three Seconds

Offensive players can only be in the key for 3 seconds. This count restarts whenever a shot is attempted

Backcourt

Once the ball crosses into the front half, the offensive team cannot return it to the back half

Kicking

Players cannot intentionally strike the ball with their foot or leg

Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Part 3

Fouls

Generally speaking basketball is considered a non-contact sport. However the rules state that “contact that results in an advantage or disadvantage is illegal”.
Players are restricted to 5 fouls per game. If they get their 5th they are disqualified.
If teams exceed 7 fouls per half then on every subsequent foul then the opposition is awarded two free throws. Some of the common fouls and the referee signals are:

Illegal use of hands (hacking)

Most often in an attempt to get the ball out of the offensive player’s hands

Blocking

Using your body to prevent another player’s run

Holding

Holding onto a player’s body or uniform

Charging (with the ball)

A player in position of the ball barging into a stationary player

Technical Foul

For non-contact fouls, e.g. swearing or hanging onto the ring

If players get two technical fouls they are disqualified

Unsportsmanlike Foul

For severe fouls or dangerous play

Disqualifying Foul

For an extreme violation of the rules e.g. fighting

Penalties

Fouls result in the ball being awarded to the opposition team. A throw in is done from the closest sideline or baseline.
A foul on a player attempting a basket results in free throws. If the basket was unsuccessful 2 free throws are awarded (or 3 if a 3 pointer). If the basket was successful then 1 extra free throw is attempted.
Technical, unsportsmanlike and disqualifying fouls result in 2 free throws, plus the offensive team gets the ball back as a throw in from the halfway line.
If a team commits more than 7 fouls in a single half the player that was fouled is awarded two free throws. This does not apply in the case of offensive fouls.

Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 08:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Referee View Post
The sidelines are out of bounds. Players cannot touch the sideline when inbounding the ball.
Do you mean players other than the inbounder? The sideline is OOB. Is this a FIBA rule?

BTW - you left out "over the back" and "reaching" from your list of fouls.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 09:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Basketball Down Under ...

Oz Referee: Check out this link. Note, these are NFHS rules, not FIBA rules.

NFHS Forum: THE MOST MISUNDERSTOOD BASKETBALL RULES
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 04:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Do you mean players other than the inbounder? The sideline is OOB. Is this a FIBA rule?

BTW - you left out "over the back" and "reaching" from your list of fouls.
In FIBA the lines are considered to be of zero width. Therefore an inbounding player commits a violation if they touch the line. Likewise a player on the court goes OOB if they touch the line.

Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 04:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
No, the rule for OOB is just the same. However, I agree with Oz Referee that in a rule summary like this it's better not to go into such details: he stated a "slightly false" but "safe" rule. If players don't touch the line during a throw-in they will always be right. It's important, though, that coaches learn the "true" rules, the more they advance in knowledge of basketball.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 04:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In FIBA the lines are considered to be of zero width. Therefore an inbounding player commits a violation if they touch the line.
Are you really sure? Lines are 5 cm wide (just a tiny bit less than 2 inches), as stated in the rulebook, and they are OOB. What's the rule supporting your claim?
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 04:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Oz Referee: Check out this link. Note, these are NFHS rules, not FIBA rules.

NFHS Forum: THE MOST MISUNDERSTOOD BASKETBALL RULES

BillyMac this is a great list (I remember your post here asking for suggestions). Unfortunately there are way too many differences in your examples compared to FIBA rules. As well, my brochure is really designed for people that know absolutely nothing about basketball - they have never played it and more than likely have never even watched a game

Nevertheless, job well done!

Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 05:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy View Post
Are you really sure? Lines are 5 cm wide (just a tiny bit less than 2 inches), as stated in the rulebook, and they are OOB. What's the rule supporting your claim?
Ok, after re-reading the 2008 FIBA rulebook, it looks like I am wrong on this one This was something that I was definitely taught (many years ago).

So in given this - what about the 3-point line and lines of the key? When I started refereeing I was taught that the lines were considered to be of zero width and that they were always considered to be in the section of the court that the player didn't want them to be.

Also, when reading over the rules I noticed that:
17.3 Rule
17.3.1 A player taking a throw-in shall not:
Touch the ball on the playing court before it has touched another player.

Now maybe I'm wrong (as we have seen it can happen ) but this sounds to be as if a pass from out of bounds that bounces on the playing court and is then picked up would be illegal??

Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 05:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok, after re-reading the 2008 FIBA rulebook, it looks like I am wrong on this one This was something that I was definitely taught (many years ago).

So in given this - what about the 3-point line and lines of the key? When I started refereeing I was taught that the lines were considered to be of zero width and that they were always considered to be in the section of the court that the player didn't want them to be.
This "rule" is a good approximation of the real one (apart from the zero width). There is only one catch: simply touching a boundary line doesn't place a player in bound, nor touching the division line places a player in the front court.

Quote:
Also, when reading over the rules I noticed that:
17.3 Rule
17.3.1 A player taking a throw-in shall not:
• Touch the ball on the playing court before it has touched another player.

Now maybe I'm wrong (as we have seen it can happen ) but this sounds to be as if a pass from out of bounds that bounces on the playing court and is then picked up would be illegal??
That refers to the same player who has made the throw-in. That player can't touch the ball before it has touched another player. But it's allowed to bounce the ball OOB and touching it again before releasing the throw-in.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 05:52am
Official Forum Member

I knew I was mis-interpreting it. I read it as making the ball touch the playing court, as opposed to the player touching the ball whilst standing on the playing court......IDIOT!

Thanks for making me fell incredibly dumb

Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Oz, you forgot to include the most important rule:

"Coaches are prohibited from talking to the officials in any way. Talking to an official will result in immediate ejection from the game."