The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Basketball Rule Question

The age-old "hand part of ball"

I understand for both NBA and NCAA men's basketball, the rule is that "Contact which occurs on the hand of the offensive player, while that hand is in contact with the ball, is legal."

Two questions:

1) Does this rule apply when someone is shooting?

2) If it does apply, what if the shooter is blocked from behind by the defender pushing the back of his hand to move the ball?

Thanks much
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 11:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencecannotbe
The age-old "hand part of ball"

I understand for both NBA and NCAA men's basketball, the rule is that "Contact which occurs on the hand of the offensive player, while that hand is in contact with the ball, is legal."

Two questions:

1) Does this rule apply when someone is shooting?

2) If it does apply, what if the shooter is blocked from behind by the defender pushing the back of his hand to move the ball?

Thanks much
1. Yes.
2. Yes. Why would it matter where the blocker is standing?
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

1) Legal

2) Legal

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

How about contact with the shooter's hand after the ball is released?
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 02:06am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencecannotbe
How about contact with the shooter's hand after the ball is released?
Usually that's incidental contact, which isn't a foul.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 03:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Usually that's incidental contact, which isn't a foul.
Incidental contact?

A1 attempts a shot and is still an airborne shooter ... B1 is attempting to block the try and makes contact with hand/arm and you don't call that?
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 04:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
Incidental contact?

A1 attempts a shot and is still an airborne shooter ... B1 is attempting to block the try and makes contact with hand/arm and you don't call that?
If the contact doesn't put the shooter at a disadvantage, then it is not a foul.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 07:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Incidental contact?

The question that I was responding to was referring to contact on the hand AFTER the ball had been released. No, I do not call that. It's incidental contact imo. The contact doesn't place anyone at a disadvantage.

If you are referring to contact BEFORE the ball is released, if it's on the arm and affects the shot, I call the foul. If it's on the hand, I don't call the foul. Why, you say? Well, because that's exactly how the rules state that it should be called.

Read rule 10-6-1--"He/she shall not contact an opponent with his/her hand unless such contact is only with the opponent's hand while it is on the ball and is incidental to an attempt to play the ball".

Please note that applies to contact with a dribbler's hand while it is on the ball too.

Clear now?
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 02:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

An airborne shooter isn't protected from "contact." He's protected from being knocked down.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

So, if the airborne shooter is "contacted" in anyway, after the ball is released, other than being knocked to the floor - it is a no call?

Did not know that one.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, if the airborne shooter is "contacted" in anyway, after the ball is released, other than being knocked to the floor - it is a no call?

Did not know that one.
You still don't.

If the contact doesn't hinder or disadvantage the shooter it is incidental, just like any other foul/no-call situation.

If the contact knocks the shooter on their butt, that's easy.

But the shooter doesn't need to go down for there to be a foul, contact that severely hinders their landing or puts them at a disadvantage to rebound may also be a foul.

It's why we get paid the big bucks.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Did not know that one.
I'm still getting better at advantage/disadvantage. I think I've made some real strides since reading this forum and working hard on it. I made little "rules" for myself that helped me with when to call.

My "rule" for contact after the shot was pretty simple - if the contact didn't hinder the landing or the shooter's pursuit of the rebound, I didn't call it. However, if the shooter gets knocked off balance - even if it's just contact with the hand after the shot that pulls him a bit to the side - then I'm going to call it, whether he lands on his feet or not.

It's worked pretty well for me (though the screaming from the bench when someone's hand gets hit afterwards is pretty funny) as I continue to improve my ability to judge each case individually.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

jdw3018 ... I like your thought here. To stay within the rules this is too how I will call this from now on!
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 04:02pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
jdw3018 ... I like your thought here. To stay within the rules this is too how I will call this from now on!
You slipped in the "arm" on Jurrasic when the discussion was initially about contact on the hand. Now you found someone who has a theory you like so you agree with it. Yep, got it.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Did not mean to slip in the arm. And I was not trying to being negative towards Jurassic or anyone else in the other posts. I just like the way jdw said it. Heck, I think NevadaRef is the best on here and he too was telling me something.

I just always was under the understanding that any contact with the shooter after the ball was gone and before they came back to the floor was a foul. I guess there is a line that has to be crossed.

Don't put words into my sentences Tomegun

Last edited by Johnny Ringo; Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 04:43pm.