The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Isn't he saying to take the same action and have the offensive player fall down. are you still calling a foul on the offense?
But they both fall down already. If you are asking what if just W23 fell down, I would say yes, it is the same call. You can't just go slamming yourself into people for no reason.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 02:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Isn't he saying to take the same action and have the offensive player fall down. are you still calling a foul on the offense?
The offensive player did fall down.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Why are we placing the blame on white 23? He takes the ball out of the net and takes the path straight out of bounds. Is the responsibility greater for him or for #5 who just scored the basket?

And if you are going to T up white #23, then you can't just grab blue #5 and pull him away, that needs to be unsporting T for that behavior as that's the only thing I see in this play that was clear as day.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 09:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
Why are we placing the blame on white 23? He takes the ball out of the net and takes the path straight out of bounds. Is the responsibility greater for him or for #5 who just scored the basket?

And if you are going to T up white #23, then you can't just grab blue #5 and pull him away, that needs to be unsporting T for that behavior as that's the only thing I see in this play that was clear as day.
Blue #5 was where he was due to the natural play. IMO, from what I see, white #23 tried to take advantage of that by slamming into #5 and hoping for a favorable call. Blue #5 did nothing wrong, IMO, where as #23 intentionally ran into #5.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Blue #5 was where he was due to the natural play. IMO, from what I see, white #23 tried to take advantage of that by slamming into #5 and hoping for a favorable call. Blue #5 did nothing wrong, IMO, where as #23 intentionally ran into #5.
Okay, I can dig it.

I see blue #5 admiring his layup and trying to tap the ball after a made basket and #23 trying to start a fast break after a made basket.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 07:15am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Okay, I can dig it.

I see blue #5 admiring his layup and trying to tap the ball after a made basket and #23 trying to start a fast break after a made basket.
No matter what #5 may have been doing, he has no obligation to vacate the spot. A lot of players end up OOB after making a lay-up, doesn't mean the thrower-in can just slam into them.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
No matter what #5 may have been doing, he has no obligation to vacate the spot. A lot of players end up OOB after making a lay-up, doesn't mean the thrower-in can just slam into them.
So what we're really saying is the guy who is about to take out the ball has to go around the player who just scored?

Don't say it too loud, I see a nice coaching tactic to delay the inbound throw in.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 09:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
So what we're really saying is the guy who is about to take out the ball has to go around the player who just scored?
Why not? It happens all the time, just like they don't run into us.

And in this play, the W23 never gave B5 an opportunity to do anything. He ran like a missile directly at him.

Are you saying a person who scores needs to immediately move in case the new offensive player decides he wants that exact spot on the floor?
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 09:19am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Okay, I can dig it.

The bolded part absolutely did not happen. How do you deduce that from the video unless you are watching it in super, super slow motion?
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The bolded part absolutely did not happen. How do you deduce that from the video unless you are watching it in super, super slow motion?
That's exactly what happened. Just watch the video, he is reaching up for the ball as it goes through the net. The admiring part was me taking writing liberties. But the point remains, W23 is trying to start his break and he does show urgency in doing it.

I have yet to say how I would actually rule on this play. I just don't know if I would have placed the blame on W23.

What I do know is the only clear part of the play is the taunt by B5 and the lack of any penalty for that.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 11:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That's exactly what happened. Just watch the video, he is reaching up for the ball as it goes through the net. The admiring part was me taking writing liberties. But the point remains, W23 is trying to start his break and he does show urgency in doing it.

I have yet to say how I would actually rule on this play. I just don't know if I would have placed the blame on W23.

What I do know is the only clear part of the play is the taunt by B5 and the lack of any penalty for that.
The only urgency I see for white is an urgency to slam into blue. The way he holds the ball confirms my initial thought, he's lowering the shoulder.

B5 was penalized, although I can't tell what he says so I don't know whether I would have called it.

At most, I would have had a false double foul with the Ts. Blue shoots two, then white shoots two. More likely, double foul with the Ts. Still possible, a DBC T on white, and a talk-to for blue.

Regardless, this is a dead ball foul on white (or nothing, if one so desires), not a personal foul.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 12:44pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
he's lowering the shoulder.
This. Exactly this.

He knows the other player is there and he totally gets a shot in.

The kid’s reaction reminds me of SO many other players of his ilk. Total punk and knows exactly what he is doing and whenever he gets busted he gives the old, “What? What’d I do?!?” look.

I’d give 3-to-1 odds he’s the coach’s son.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's exactly what happened.
Absolutely NOT.
Quote:
Just watch the video, he is reaching up for the ball as it goes through the net. The admiring part was me taking writing liberties.
He reached up just after he landed, being ready to potentially catch a rebound, but once he saw it go through, he dropped his arms. There was no attempt to tap the ball once it was through the net.
Quote:
But the point remains, W23 is trying to start his break and he does show urgency in doing it.
No, W23 was just being a punk. Should have been a T on w23 for intentional dead ball contact.
Quote:
In fact, this is almost the same thing Kominsky did in the UK/UW game shortly after he got embarrassed by Marcus Lee on an alley-opp dunk....but it was separated by 5-10 seconds.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Apr 08, 2014 at 01:28pm.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 01:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
In fact, this is almost the same thing Kominsky did in the UK/UW game shortly after he got embarrassed by Marcus Lee on an alley-opp dunk....but it was separated by 5-10 seconds.
When I was watching, the TBS feed didn't show that foul. They kept replaying the dunk, but didn't show the foul.

Any way we can get video?
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When I was watching, the TBS feed didn't show that foul. They kept replaying the dunk, but didn't show the foul.

Any way we can get video?
It was after they had gone to the other end of the court and it was only really a quick glimpse and they didn't show any replays.