The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thrower Commits Foul

First time I ever saw this and wanted to confirm the correct call:

BJV, A1 has the ball on the end-line for a spot throw-in. B1 is guarding the throw-in but is not violating the plane, just frantically waving his arms. A1, with the ball cradled in one hand, reaches thru the plane with his other hand and shoves B1 in the chest, knocking B1 back a step (no, I have no idea why, A1 had plenty of room to back up). I am administering the throw-in and call the foul. Report it and we have a throw-in for B at the same spot (very early in the game, no bonus situation).

No arguments from A's coach other than to ask me what happened. When I explained, he said "first time I've ever seen that happen; ok then." During the next timeout though, B coach suggested that should have been an intentional personal foul since that is the call if the opponent reaches thru and fouls the thrower. But he wasn't really arguing or asking for an explanation and went right into his team timeout.

Well, my partner agreed with my call and I couldn't find anything in the rule or case book about this kind of situation other than the thrower is allowed to reach thru the plane, with or without the ball, without that act being a violation.

Was I correct or should this have been an intentional personal foul?
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 02:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Sounds like an intentional foul to me, but not because thrower reached through the plane.

Change it for a moment: A1 is standing on the court with the ball, guarded by B1. He gets tired of the pressure, puts the ball in his left hand as he turns his body. He then puts his hand on B1's chest and shoves him backwards. The arm bar, the push off from a dribbler, the push off in the paint, these are all considered normal offensive fouls; but none involve an offensive player who essentially stops playing basketball for a moment to shove a defender.

You were right, by rule; it's a judgment call.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

I get what you are saying and true, judgement would come into it. In this case, I saw it as an offensive player pushing off to create space - a normal but not intentional foul. But I wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be automatically called an intentional foul - as would be the case if the opponent reached thru the plane and fouled the thrower as part of an attempt to defend the throw.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 02:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
I get what you are saying and true, judgement would come into it. In this case, I saw it as an offensive player pushing off to create space - a normal but not intentional foul. But I wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be automatically called an intentional foul - as would be the case if the opponent reached thru the plane and fouled the thrower as part of an attempt to defend the throw.
You were right, it's a normal foul (requiring judgment to determine inentional). It's closer to when A1 reaches across the plane and B1 fouls him without reaching to the OOB side of the plane.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Not much different than a dribbler pushing a guard out of the way to shoot....just like a fairly typical "PC" foul except there was no PC.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 06:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

We've Gone Too Far ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Just like a fairly typical PC foul except there was no PC.
What's this world coming to when even fouls in a interscholastic basketball game have to be politically correct?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 08:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Not much different than a dribbler pushing a guard out of the way to shoot....just like a fairly typical "PC" foul except there was no PC.
I agree, I was just seeing it differently in my little brain; more like a dribbler picking up his dribble, getting the ball out of the way and placing his hand square on the chest and shoving. Completely premeditated and not really basketball related.