The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 09:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The fact that there's a penalty means that they aren't alowed.

You might as well ask" can a player run with the ball?"

No, it's not allowed.

Well, of course the player can -- but there's a penalty involved.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Some things aren't allowed, period (jewelry, illegal undershirts).

Some are not allowed without penalty.

I thought the zeros were in the first category.
Old Sun Mar 30, 2014, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The fact that there's a penalty means that they aren't alowed.

You might as well ask" can a player run with the ball?"

No, it's not allowed.

Well, of course the player can -- but there's a penalty involved.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Bob,

I do understand your point and that is why I did ask for a clarification. I spent two weeks discussing the clearly written portion of the rule - 0 and 00 are not allowed - with a rules guy a couple of seasons ago. Because the rule states "shall not", he thought there was no need to visit the penalty section. And, he insisted because the rule was so clearly written, there was no need for an interpretation at all.

I do admit that 2008/09 interp is a little contradictory to me.
Old Sun Mar 30, 2014, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

electronically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
2008-09 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 2: A team has members with No. 0 and No. 00 listed in the scorebook and it is discovered (a) with 14 minutes on the clock prior to the game, (b) with 8 minutes on the clock prior to the game or (c) after the game starts. RULING: In (a), changes can be made without penalty. In (b), if a number is changed in the scorebook, a team technical is charged. The offended team is awarded two free throws and a throw-in at the division line to begin the game. The arrow is toward the offending team. If no changes are made to the scorebook, no infraction has occurred. In (c), after the game starts, there is no infraction if only one of the team members (No. 0 or No. 00) participates. If the second team member wishes to participate, the result is an illegal number when "discovered." The penalty is a direct technical foul on the head coach for an illegal uniform. Two free throws and a division line throw-in for the offended team and loss of coaching box privileges for the offending coach. The second team member (with the illegal uniform number) may participate without further penalty and is NOT required to change his/her number. Another possibility exists after the game starts when one of the team members wants to change his/her number prior to participating. The result is a team technical foul (no loss of coaching box) for changing the scorebook. COMMENT: No team should have both No. 0 and No. 00 on its regular roster. The infraction is likely due to bringing a player up or down a level. Therefore, it is possible the team has access to other legal uniforms to replace a uniform with an illegal number. (3-4-3d; 10-1-2; 10-5-4)
BillMac,

Thanks for finding and posting.
Old Sun Mar 30, 2014, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
No logical reason why this is disallowed in NFHS games, either. We allow 2 and 22, don't we?
Indeed. Folx know it as two and twenty-two and yeah, we don't say twenty-two but that's how they see it.

0 and 00 are what? Oh and Oh-Oh? or maybe zero and double zero? Depends on your mechanic. Yeah, we can distinguish the two, but the game includes spectators and competing teams, either of which can easily be confuse by this nothing and double-nothing nonsense.

The math folks will tell us 00, 0, 00000, and 0000000000 are all the same number -- zero.

The only reason 00 exists is Jim Otto had a good thing going when the AFL was looking for anything that would draw some notice. Since then it has been nothing more than bid for cheap attention.

The suggestion that 0 and 00 (zero and zero) are the same as 2 and 22 (two and twenty-two) is patently absurd.
Old Sun Mar 30, 2014, 05:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Duplicate Numbers ...

Sidebar: Can players with duplicate numbers play after the charging of a technical foul upon discovery? I thought not, but now I'm questioning myself after reading through this thread.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 30, 2014, 06:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Sidebar: Can players with duplicate numbers play after the charging of a technical foul upon discovery? I thought not, but now I'm questioning myself after reading through this thread.
3.2.2 SITUATION B: Three minutes before the game starts, it is discovered: two Team B team members are wearing the same number. RULING: A technical foul is charged to Team B upon discovery of the identical numbers. Only one team member may wear a given number; the other must change to a number not already in use before participating. (10-1-2)

OK. Let's say that you're checking the book, pregame, at the twelve minute mark, and discover duplicate numbers. You approach the coach, and he doesn't have any extra jerseys. Besides erasing one of the numbers before the ten minute mark, what are his other options? Let's say that he refuses to erase one of the numbers, even after the ten minute mark, now what happens after the technical foul is charged? Can either player play?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Mar 30, 2014, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
Indeed. Folx know it as two and twenty-two and yeah, we don't say twenty-two but that's how they see it.
Who is this "we"?
Old Sun Mar 30, 2014, 08:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Umm, I say twenty-two. Why wouldn't I?
Old Sun Mar 30, 2014, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

OK. Let's say that you're checking the book, pregame, at the twelve minute mark, and discover duplicate numbers. You approach the coach, and he doesn't have any extra jerseys. Besides erasing one of the numbers before the ten minute mark, what are his other options? Let's say that he refuses to erase one of the numbers, even after the ten minute mark, now what happens after the technical foul is charged? Can either player play?[/QUOTE]

After the technical is assessed, then the first team member to play is the ONLY person that gets to play. This is an example of a ruling that actually means "shall not" or "cannot" even at the expense of a technical.
Old Sun Mar 30, 2014, 08:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

Assume I'm From Missouri ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
After the technical is assessed, then the first team member to play is the ONLY person that gets to play. This is an example of a ruling that actually means "shall not" or "cannot" even at the expense of a technical.
Sounds good. Got a citation, maybe an interpretation?

Old Sun Mar 30, 2014, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sounds good. Got a citation, maybe an interpretation?
I'm assuming that you are looking for something that would allow at least one of them to play????
Old Sun Mar 30, 2014, 08:56am
Esteemed Forum Member

Hey Coach, There Are Two Twenty-Twos In The Book ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
I'm assuming that you are looking for something that would allow at least one of them to play????
I just wanted to know the options that an official could give the coach.

"No extra uniforms? Since we're still twelve minutes away from tip off, you can erase one of the names from the scorebook with no penalty."

"You want to know what happens if you don't erase one the names in the next two minutes? Well, to start with, your team will be charged with a technical foul. After that ..."

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 30, 2014 at 09:02am.
Old Sun Mar 30, 2014, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We don't? That is exactly what we teach new officials to say in our training classes. Much less likely to be misunderstood than a non-natural two-two.
Old Sun Mar 30, 2014, 02:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
We don't? That is exactly what we teach new officials to say in our training classes. Much less likely to be misunderstood than a non-natural two-two.
I'm not sure I agree that one is more or less likely to be misunderstood, but I'm a reformed "two two" guy. No one taught me one way or the other, for some reason I just started doing it that way.
Old Sun Mar 30, 2014, 02:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Making Amends For Past Errors ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm a reformed "two two" guy.
Did it take a twelve step program?