The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Since I'm unfamiliar with Fed rules, I'd like to inquire from those familiar with both: what happens, playing and strategy wise (if anything) in a game matching up a team used to NCAA rules vs. a team used to Fed rules? Is one team going to need to change some things they do? I realize it may depend on many things, but mention various offenses/defenses, special teams, etc.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 01:51am
Small Business Owner

Post The home team rules will be used!

Short and sweet - Home team rules apply.
Same logic is applied when one NFHS state is utilizing and experimental rule and the other state is not. Again, Home team rules apply.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 10:36am
I Bleed Crimson

Re: The home team rules will be used!

Quote:
Originally posted by KWH
Short and sweet - Home team rules apply.
Reminds me of a game our association had years ago. A Canadian team came down to WA (state, not DC for you east coasters) for (obviously) a non-conference game. The coaches met before the game and decided they would do Canadian rules when the Candadian team was on offense, and NFHS when the WA team was on offense. This was a problem on at least two fronts:

1) Our officials don't know Canadian rules or mechanics, and having 12 on the field, 3 downs, etc, was a problem.
2) Safety. The NFHS kids were getting pummeled by the forward motion (the RB would line up about 7 yards deep and run full-speed at the line where the QB would take the snap and hand it off).

So the next year when they came, we said NFHS ONLY.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

We often get some games here in my chapter betweeen high schools from Oklahoma playing in Texas. From an officiating standpoint I don't do anything different. I pregame with the coach and inform him that this game is using NCAA rules with UIL exceptions. I also make it clear that I don't know the NFHS rules so I don't even attempt to offer any rules differences. As far as the game itself it is just like any other game we work. The players don't have to play any differently. Back when I played in a TX vs OK game our coach always told us to not block below the waist. Perhaps when the OK team comes to TX their coach can prepare their players to defend against a player blocking below the waist. As we all know there are hundreds of differences in the rules, but in my opinion the blocking below the waist is the biggest.