Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 06:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
Rut,

The official pays a fee? How much?
I believe now the fee is 6.75 for each official. I forget because it is been a sore subject and the fee keeps going up. In my opinion this schools should pay for this if we are being told they love the system. And then with Arbiter we put all this personal information, and then the schools never seem to use it for their paper work.

I love some of the convenience of Arbiter, but it really sucks how it is used.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

To answer the question of the OP, the State Office gets a global access account which permits them to view all games and assignments for every different sports group. That is the benefit.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
WA State uses Arbiter for all sports.
Scuba,

How is it accepted by officials or assignors? Are there any additional fees the officials have to pay? Have there been any glitches during the season? Is there any items about Arbiter that you wish they would change?
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 10:04am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
I had seen a thread a week or so regarding mandates by the State governing bodies on officiating. GHSA has issued a mandate requiring us to use Arbiter for all registration and assigning of officials.

I was wondering if any other states have made this move. If so, how successful or unsuccessful has it been? What the reasons given for the mandate? What did the governing body get out of the move?
Good questions. On the surface it seems highly anti-competitive to me. I’m not sure how they get away with mandating officials to use something, especially when the officials or the officiating organization is expected to pay for it.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Our area uses the arbiter.Personally I love it-everything is very easily laid out.All it takes is a click to accept or decline a game and all the forms are available online for easy reference.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 11:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Good questions. On the surface it seems highly anti-competitive to me. I’m not sure how they get away with mandating officials to use something, especially when the officials or the officiating organization is expected to pay for it.
Our arbiter fees are taken from our annual dues. We're paying it, but it's just not itemized.

A few years ago, the state mandated its use for playoff assignments: that's the only requirement I'm aware of that comes down from the state. I think it was just easier to use a system that is compatible at the local level.

Refpay seems to be making the same transition. First mandated to get paid for playoff games, now more and more schools get added each year.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 12:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Is It 1984 Already ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Refpay seems to be making the same transition ... more and more schools get added each year.
One school last year, a second this year (of the seventy schools we service). I haven't worked at either school. Some of us, including me, are reluctant to give the schools our bank account numbers, social security numbers (that we already do for many schools), and driver's license numbers. And we don't want to pay $5.00 for a mailed paper check. What do you guys think? What have your experiences with Refpay been like? Is it inevitable as we continue our march through the Digital Age of "Big Brother"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 29, 2014 at 12:25pm.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 01:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
One school last year, a second this year (of the seventy schools we service). I haven't worked at either school. Some of us, including me, are reluctant to give the schools our bank account numbers, social security numbers (that we already do for many schools), and driver's license numbers. And we don't want to pay $5.00 for a mailed paper check. What do you guys think? What have your experiences with Refpay been like? Is it inevitable as we continue our march through the Digital Age of "Big Brother"?
The schools don't get my account number, they have my social security number and my email address. They deposit the money into my refpay account, and I then transfer it over to my bank account.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 02:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Wink And A Nod ...

Quote:
The schools don't get my account number, they have my social security number and my email address. They deposit the money into my refpay account, and I then transfer it over to my bank account.
Thanks. What ever happened to the good old days when the athletic director just handed you an envelope of cash before the game and winked at you?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 03:51pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Refpay seems to be making the same transition. First mandated to get paid for playoff games, now more and more schools get added each year.
At our association's opening softball meeting earlier this week, a comment was made that most (if not all) schools in our area might be using RefPay by 2015. one umpire was not happy about this and asked what he should do if he doesn't want to accept any payments via RefPay.

In my experience, if RefPay is set up properly, it's more convenient than waiting for a check. I've had ADs use RefPay to pay me as soon as I arrived on site. Three business days later, the money is in my account.

So far, I haven't had to provide my SS# for RefPay schools, although some have asked for the e-mail address tied to it. Other schools seem to be able to pay me via my Arbiter account information.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 03:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
At our association's opening softball meeting earlier this week, a comment was made that most (if not all) schools in our area might be using RefPay by 2015. one umpire was not happy about this and asked what he should do if he doesn't want to accept any payments via RefPay.

In my experience, if RefPay is set up properly, it's more convenient than waiting for a check. I've had ADs use RefPay to pay me as soon as I arrived on site. Three business days later, the money is in my account.
There are a couple of schools that routinely pay the next morning, and if I watch closely, I can have the money in my account one day later.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 04:42pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
RefPay does a great job of handling payments. You don’t need a paper check at all…you can transfer out of your RefPay account to your bank account, as Adam pointed out, whenever you like—even automatically if you wish (i.e. anytime your account is over $100, etc). I believe they also have a debit card that you can use to spend money directly from your RefPay account.

Although it is mostly owned by Arbiter, RefPay is somewhat separate and integrates with other systems. We integrated it into our system so that schools can pay officials directly from our site—after linking their RefPay account they never leave our site…it works great.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 04:44pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Thanks. What ever happened to the good old days when the athletic director just handed you an envelope of cash before the game and winked at you?
I used to work the Saluki summer league in Houston back when I started and the guy that ran it shook your hand on the way in as both a greeting and cash delivery method! Money in the bank!!
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 04:46pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
one umpire was not happy about this and asked what he should do if he doesn't want to accept any payments via RefPay.
Do you know why he was unhappy about it? Just curious as to what peoples’ aversions are to RefPay and similar payment services.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 08:52pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Brad,

He never actually offered a reason aside from asking what alternatives were available to him. Our trainers really didn't know what to tell him, aside from saying that he could possibly ask to be payed by check, even though schools are trying to move away form that as much as possible now.

If asked to speculate, I'd wonder if he dislikes any form of online banking/payment processing.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Closed Thread