The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Arbiter Mandate (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97632-arbiter-mandate.html)

ronny mulkey Fri Mar 28, 2014 07:39am

Arbiter Mandate

I had seen a thread a week or so regarding mandates by the State governing bodies on officiating. GHSA has issued a mandate requiring us to use Arbiter for all registration and assigning of officials.

I was wondering if any other states have made this move. If so, how successful or unsuccessful has it been? What the reasons given for the mandate? What did the governing body get out of the move?

centkyref Fri Mar 28, 2014 08:00am

Everybody does it

In Kentucky, I believe all sports use Arbiter. (I know basketball and baseball do) Part of our state dues go toward the Arbiter user fee. I have no idea how much the fee per official is.

LRZ Fri Mar 28, 2014 08:39am

Here, in SE PA, there is no mandate for school basketball, the only state-sanctioned sport I currently work. Some basketball assignors use it, some don't.

I can only speculate about what a governing body would get. Increased consistency and accountability, as people have to accept/decline assignments? Ease in pre-game communication among partners? A more structured system for submitting post-game incidents in reports? If the state also implements refpay, maybe some more methodical payment.

Rich Fri Mar 28, 2014 09:25am

I dream of the day when all of our conferences and sports use one system for assigning. As it is now, some use Arbiter, some use rSchool, some use RefRanking/Athletix, and some still send out paper contracts.

I'd be happy to move everything to Arbiter -- would be the best thing ever for us.

bob jenkins Fri Mar 28, 2014 09:38am

I agree that the multiple systems is a pain. But, I'd rather move everything off the arbiter than on to it. ;)

KJUmp Fri Mar 28, 2014 09:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich (Post 929438)
i dream of the day when all of our conferences and sports use one system for assigning. As it is now, some use arbiter, some use rschool, some use refranking/athletix, and some still send out paper contracts.

I'd be happy to move everything to arbiter -- would be the best thing ever for us.

+1.

JetMetFan Fri Mar 28, 2014 09:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 929438)
I dream of the day when all of our conferences and sports use one system for assigning. As it is now, some use Arbiter, some use rSchool, some use RefRanking/Athletix, and some still send out paper contracts.

I'd be happy to move everything to Arbiter -- would be the best thing ever for us.

I share your dream. I have to keep an eye on:
*Arbiter (NCAAW & NJ HS)
*Reftown (NYC GV)
*Presto (NCAAW)
*email (NYC BV)

Somehow I have avoided double-booking anyone (knock wood).

Raymond Fri Mar 28, 2014 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 929431)
Here, in SE PA, there is no mandate for school basketball, the only state-sanctioned sport I currently work. Some basketball assignors use it, some don't.

The kid from Chester looked good last night. I have some cousins who played at Academy Park.

Our state association hasn't mandated anything. Both my HS boards utilize Arbiter. The previous commissioner on my local board lost his position in 2010 in part because he refused to go to electronic scheduling; he was still using pen and paper and sending out assignment on an Execl spreadsheet.

Rich Fri Mar 28, 2014 09:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 929445)
The kid from Chester looked good last night. I have some cousins who played at Academy Park.

Our state association hasn't mandated anything. Both my HS boards utilize Arbiter. The previous commissioner on my local board lost his position in 2010 in part because he refused to go to electronic scheduling; he was still using pen and paper and sending out assignment on an Execl spreadsheet.

It's funny - part of the reason I decided not to reapply for the assigning gig I had in 2007 was because the teams insisted I go back to manual scheduling. I refused. The guy doing the job now is STILL emailing out assignments manually 7 years later.

LRZ Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 929446)
[snip] The guy doing the job now is STILL emailing out assignments manually 7 years later.

Being retired, I LOVE those emails (or occasionally a phone call) at 8 or 9 am, asking if I'm free that afternoon. Sure! Where, what time? :)

Scuba_ref Fri Mar 28, 2014 01:04pm

WA State uses Arbiter for all sports.

Adam Fri Mar 28, 2014 02:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 929494)
Being retired, I LOVE those emails (or occasionally a phone call) at 8 or 9 am, asking if I'm free that afternoon. Sure! Where, what time? :)

We get those emails, and we use arbiter for all levels (I think it's mandated for HS ball, but I'm not sure). I started using Arbiter when I moved to my current city. Before that, in the same state, my assigner was using paper assignments. My last season there, I didn't get the last page and thus had no idea that there was a game for me that I missed. This was 6 or 7 years ago.

I have no idea if they're using arbiter now, I imagine they are.

JRutledge Fri Mar 28, 2014 03:31pm

Arbiter is mandated for any games in the Chicago area with almost every assignor. Not a state mandate, but if you want to work in most conferences this way, you have to pay to be on Arbiter.

Peace

ronny mulkey Fri Mar 28, 2014 04:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 929544)
Arbiter is mandated for any games in the Chicago area with almost every assignor. Not a state mandate, but if you want to work in most conferences this way, you have to pay to be on Arbiter.

Peace

Rut,

The official pays a fee? How much?

ronny mulkey Fri Mar 28, 2014 04:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 929441)
I agree that the multiple systems is a pain. But, I'd rather move everything off the arbiter than on to it. ;)

Bob,

Any experiences you care to share?