The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 07:39am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: White, GA
Posts: 482
Arbiter Mandate

I had seen a thread a week or so regarding mandates by the State governing bodies on officiating. GHSA has issued a mandate requiring us to use Arbiter for all registration and assigning of officials.

I was wondering if any other states have made this move. If so, how successful or unsuccessful has it been? What the reasons given for the mandate? What did the governing body get out of the move?
__________________
Mulk
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 08:00am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central KY
Posts: 46
Everybody does it

In Kentucky, I believe all sports use Arbiter. (I know basketball and baseball do) Part of our state dues go toward the Arbiter user fee. I have no idea how much the fee per official is.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 08:39am
LRZ LRZ is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SE PA
Posts: 767
Here, in SE PA, there is no mandate for school basketball, the only state-sanctioned sport I currently work. Some basketball assignors use it, some don't.

I can only speculate about what a governing body would get. Increased consistency and accountability, as people have to accept/decline assignments? Ease in pre-game communication among partners? A more structured system for submitting post-game incidents in reports? If the state also implements refpay, maybe some more methodical payment.
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 09:25am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,738
I dream of the day when all of our conferences and sports use one system for assigning. As it is now, some use Arbiter, some use rSchool, some use RefRanking/Athletix, and some still send out paper contracts.

I'd be happy to move everything to Arbiter -- would be the best thing ever for us.
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 09:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,618
I agree that the multiple systems is a pain. But, I'd rather move everything off the arbiter than on to it.
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 09:39am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
i dream of the day when all of our conferences and sports use one system for assigning. As it is now, some use arbiter, some use rschool, some use refranking/athletix, and some still send out paper contracts.

I'd be happy to move everything to arbiter -- would be the best thing ever for us.
+1.
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 09:39am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Orange, NJ
Posts: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I dream of the day when all of our conferences and sports use one system for assigning. As it is now, some use Arbiter, some use rSchool, some use RefRanking/Athletix, and some still send out paper contracts.

I'd be happy to move everything to Arbiter -- would be the best thing ever for us.
I share your dream. I have to keep an eye on:
*Arbiter (NCAAW & NJ HS)
*Reftown (NYC GV)
*Presto (NCAAW)
*email (NYC BV)

Somehow I have avoided double-booking anyone (knock wood).
__________________
"Everyone has a purpose in life, even if it's only to serve as a bad example."
"If Opportunity knocks and he's not home, Opportunity waits..."
"Don't you have to be stupid somewhere else?" "Not until 4."
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 09:42am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 14,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Here, in SE PA, there is no mandate for school basketball, the only state-sanctioned sport I currently work. Some basketball assignors use it, some don't.
....
The kid from Chester looked good last night. I have some cousins who played at Academy Park.


Our state association hasn't mandated anything. Both my HS boards utilize Arbiter. The previous commissioner on my local board lost his position in 2010 in part because he refused to go to electronic scheduling; he was still using pen and paper and sending out assignment on an Execl spreadsheet.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 09:44am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The kid from Chester looked good last night. I have some cousins who played at Academy Park.


Our state association hasn't mandated anything. Both my HS boards utilize Arbiter. The previous commissioner on my local board lost his position in 2010 in part because he refused to go to electronic scheduling; he was still using pen and paper and sending out assignment on an Execl spreadsheet.
It's funny - part of the reason I decided not to reapply for the assigning gig I had in 2007 was because the teams insisted I go back to manual scheduling. I refused. The guy doing the job now is STILL emailing out assignments manually 7 years later.
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 11:59am
LRZ LRZ is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SE PA
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
[snip] The guy doing the job now is STILL emailing out assignments manually 7 years later.
Being retired, I LOVE those emails (or occasionally a phone call) at 8 or 9 am, asking if I'm free that afternoon. Sure! Where, what time?
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 259
WA State uses Arbiter for all sports.
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 02:26pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Being retired, I LOVE those emails (or occasionally a phone call) at 8 or 9 am, asking if I'm free that afternoon. Sure! Where, what time?
We get those emails, and we use arbiter for all levels (I think it's mandated for HS ball, but I'm not sure). I started using Arbiter when I moved to my current city. Before that, in the same state, my assigner was using paper assignments. My last season there, I didn't get the last page and thus had no idea that there was a game for me that I missed. This was 6 or 7 years ago.

I have no idea if they're using arbiter now, I imagine they are.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 03:31pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,012
Arbiter is mandated for any games in the Chicago area with almost every assignor. Not a state mandate, but if you want to work in most conferences this way, you have to pay to be on Arbiter.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: White, GA
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Arbiter is mandated for any games in the Chicago area with almost every assignor. Not a state mandate, but if you want to work in most conferences this way, you have to pay to be on Arbiter.

Peace
Rut,

The official pays a fee? How much?
__________________
Mulk
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: White, GA
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I agree that the multiple systems is a pain. But, I'd rather move everything off the arbiter than on to it.
Bob,

Any experiences you care to share?
__________________
Mulk
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arbiter Competition chseagle Basketball 1 Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:43pm
Arbiter buys ABW fullor30 Basketball 46 Thu Dec 03, 2009 02:55pm
Arbiter ? IAUMP Football 8 Sun Aug 13, 2006 05:45pm
The Arbiter eyezen Basketball 10 Mon Aug 07, 2006 05:39am
ARBITER.NET brianp134 Basketball 9 Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:59am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1