The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Evaluations

Usually, I try not to look at numerical ratings from Coaches/AD's during or even after a season. This year, I gave in and looked, knowing that the association I belong to is implementing a new program for game assignments and mentoring, based in part on these evaluations. There were some curious numbers. One site had my average rating at 2.667 (of max 5) for boys and 3.375 for girls. The other site 3.35 for boys F/JV, 3.42 for girls F/JV, and 3.05 for Varsity boys, 3.20 for Varsity girls. Not knowing how these numbers compare to others in my association, is there anything to take away from this? I cannot see individual ratings, just averages, but I can see how many evaluations are included in that average. What kind of numbers should I expect as a "good" official? I've talked with a few of the better local officials and have yet to hear anyone claiming they get close to 4. Hit me with your thoughts.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy View Post
Usually, I try not to look at numerical ratings from Coaches/AD's during or even after a season. This year, I gave in and looked, knowing that the association I belong to is implementing a new program for game assignments and mentoring, based in part on these evaluations. There were some curious numbers. One site had my average rating at 2.667 (of max 5) for boys and 3.375 for girls. The other site 3.35 for boys F/JV, 3.42 for girls F/JV, and 3.05 for Varsity boys, 3.20 for Varsity girls. Not knowing how these numbers compare to others in my association, is there anything to take away from this? I cannot see individual ratings, just averages, but I can see how many evaluations are included in that average. What kind of numbers should I expect as a "good" official? I've talked with a few of the better local officials and have yet to hear anyone claiming they get close to 4. Hit me with your thoughts.
Your first thought was the best.

There's nothing in these ratings that provides any feedback on what to do to improve, so they are meaningless to you.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 10:40am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Your first thought was the best.

There's nothing in these ratings that provides any feedback on what to do to improve, so they are meaningless to you.
You may wish to base one of your goals for next season to improve those numerical ratings a certain quantity. However, since they are totally up to those who 1) are likely in the habit of rating the whole crew rather than the individual, and 2) might likely base their ratings on whether they won or lost, even this use of those numbers might not mean much.
We've got crappy officials around here who get good numbers and good officials who get crappy numbers. Isn't really a valuable tool for assessment in any tangible way.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 10:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

I think it's a great system to let coaches think they have some input.

That's about it.

A coach who tries wielding a rating as a weapon never seems to like the result, though.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 10:44am
Back from the DL

Every association does things differently. The best take-away you can ever get is a qualitative analysis, rather than a series of numbers. The numbers only tell you where you stand, rather than what you can do to improve.

Evaluations are hard to come by in my neck of the woods. The newer officials get them, and if you're lucky enough to work with a game with a newbie, you'll get a good eval the following day via email.

I got a such an assignment in a JV game this year. Good new partner, good advice from the assigner. The price: Harrassment from the veteran varsity officials. During a time-out, I'm holding the ball on the end line, when I hear from behind me, "Baaaaaaaainseeeeey.... that's an awfully big binder [evaluator] is holding! He's writing about you ..... right now!"