The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

evaluations

In our chapter, there are two avenues of evaluation. One is chapter evals. I had two and got good feedback, but haven't gotten the forms yet.

The other is the mentor program. I had three in this. JV games, evaluated by an experienced official who volunteered for the program who also was going to be working that night's varsity game after my JV. I just got these and I'm pretty pleased. Some good feedback and of course, some constructive criticism. I thought it might be interesting to share the comments here:

January 4:
(APC) will be a very good official once he gains more experience. When reporting fouls, he “walked and talked” when providing information to the scorer’s table. He should proceed to the spot, stop and then report the correct information.

APC needs to hit the whistle a little harder. There were times when his whistle was barely audible.

There seemed to be times when APC was near the mid court line when he was the trail official. This would make it hard for him to call/see any action near the paint. Again, these are easily corrected mechanics. He shows an understanding of the game and just needs to gain more experience.

January 11:
Close down as trail. Were way too high. Closing down gets you in the action and helps with over the back calls. Must do something to keep shirt tucked in pants. Thought decision making was good. Take you’re time when calling foul, make prelim signal and then proceed to table. Pregame with partner in depth, use card as guide.

I highly recommend going to camp this summer. Will help tremendously with mechanics.

Overall, I think you did good job.

January 22:
APC is a fairly good official for being only in his first year....I think being a former head coach has helped him with his mechanics and his judgememt. He has good court awairness and communicates with his partner very well. He could stand to lose a few lbs. but otherwise a good official.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
[B
January 4:[/B]
When reporting fouls, he “walked and talked” when providing information to the scorer’s table. He should proceed to the spot, stop and then report the correct information.

January 11:
Close down as trail. Were way too high. Closing down gets you in the action and helps with over the back calls.
I'm glad we walk and talk in GA, I personally prefer that then the stop and talk.

Not the "over the back" calls.

Last edited by JoeTheRef; Wed Feb 06, 2008 at 10:56am.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
In our chapter, there are two avenues of evaluation. One is chapter evals. I had two and got good feedback, but haven't gotten the forms yet.

The other is the mentor program. I had three in this. JV games, evaluated by an experienced official who volunteered for the program who also was going to be working that night's varsity game after my JV. I just got these and I'm pretty pleased. Some good feedback and of course, some constructive criticism. I thought it might be interesting to share the comments here:

January 4:
(APC) will be a very good official once he gains more experience. When reporting fouls, he “walked and talked” when providing information to the scorer’s table. He should proceed to the spot, stop and then report the correct information.

APC needs to hit the whistle a little harder. There were times when his whistle was barely audible.

There seemed to be times when APC was near the mid court line when he was the trail official. This would make it hard for him to call/see any action near the paint. Again, these are easily corrected mechanics. He shows an understanding of the game and just needs to gain more experience.

January 11:
Close down as trail. Were way too high. Closing down gets you in the action and helps with over the back calls. Must do something to keep shirt tucked in pants. Thought decision making was good. Take you’re time when calling foul, make prelim signal and then proceed to table. Pregame with partner in depth, use card as guide.

I highly recommend going to camp this summer. Will help tremendously with mechanics.

Overall, I think you did good job.

January 22:
APC is a fairly good official for being only in his first year....I think being a former head coach has helped him with his mechanics and his judgememt. He has good court awairness and communicates with his partner very well. He could stand to lose a few lbs. but otherwise a good official.

Stop and report is the proper mechanic. It seems to have fallen to the wayside, if not officiating, I see a good 20-25 games additionally and of course am watching the officials, the walk and talk is gaining momentum in my area.

I think it's great you have enough confidence to open yourself up to critiqueing here. Sounds like you've had a great first year.