The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Teddy Valentine(edited)

Did anyone catch the "interaction" between TV Teddy and Mick Cronin in the 1st half of the Cincinnati - UConn game today? No question Mick Cronin was out of line, but Valentine's response was even more inappropriate IMO.

Curious what others thought...
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Last edited by rekent; Sat Mar 01, 2014 at 06:23pm.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Why don't you actually post what was done/said?
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 06:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have no problem with what Teddy did. Coaches think they can say anything and then officials are suppose to "walk away." Sorry, Teddy is a grown ass man and if you want to approach him in a certain way, then get read for the response. And or did not T him up or contact him. Good job of officiating.

I think we need to get away from this, "We are supposed to...." take where every crap these guys give out. He wants to wear the big pants, be ready to get it right back.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 06:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have no problem with what Teddy did. Coaches think they can say anything and then officials are suppose to "walk away." Sorry, Teddy is a grown ass man and if you want to approach him in a certain way, then get read for the response. And or did not T him up or contact him. Good job of officiating.

I think we need to get away from this, "We are supposed to...." take where every crap these guys give out. He wants to wear the big pants, be ready to get it right back.

Peace
I've said it before, the occasional "irrational" response to this sort of brutish coaching behavior can only be a good thing.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 07:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

I had no problem with it. We don't know what was said. There is no one-size-fits-all for handling situations.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 08:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Maybe TV didn't want to give the coach the satisfaction of a T.

Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 01:29am
AremRed

From ESPN.com:

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin said he sees a double standard with the way in which coaches are treated by officials after referee Teddy Valentine got in his face, almost nose-to-nose, during the second half of the Bearcats' 51-45 loss to Connecticut on Saturday.

"My beef with that is guys like Mick Cronin and Buzz Williams (of Marquette) of the world, we deal with some of it," Cronin told ESPN after the game. "When nobody gets in the Jim Boeheim's face or Mike Krzyzewski's face."

Syracuse's Boeheim did receive a technical and ejection when he protested a charge call to official Tony Greene last Saturday at Krzyzewski's Duke. Boeheim ran onto the court and confronted Greene and was ejected.

Valentine went to Cronin after calling an out-of-bounds play that Cronin challenged. Valentine then walked away as Cronin had to be restrained by his players and staff.

Official Michael Stuart issued two technicals and ejected UConn coach Kevin Ollie for coming on the court in a home loss to Louisville last month.

"I didn't appreciate it but I want you to know this, we have a relationship that's why he felt comfortable doing that," said Cronin of Valentine invading his personal space. "That ball was out on them I think. I took it personal. Where I come from you don't get in somebody's face."

Cronin said he has no problem with Valentine and is glad he's working the American conference after not being a regular in the Big East.

"He got in my face, I didn't get in his face," said Cronin. "Am I allowed to T him? That's what I asked him."

Cronin said he averages one and a half technicals a year. He said he wasn't going "to get a tech in a close game like that. If I get one it's because I want one or its uncalled for. This was much ado about nothing. They need to leave me alone. It's not my first rodeo."
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Maybe ideally what should have been done is a T. But it's 2 adults hashing it out. Nothing wrong with one calling the other a fool over the first's insistence that he's the bigger idiot.

EDIT: after reading that piece I wish Teddy T'd him up. In my opinion you do no one a favor NOT T'ing a coach when he acts like a complete d'bag.

Last edited by deecee; Sun Mar 02, 2014 at 01:31am.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 03:08am
Official Forum Member

Most officials would get a call from their assignor for pulling something like that and it might the their last call from that assignor. I don't care what Cronin said or did, the possible options for any official do not include getting in the coach's face and barking at him (or even just getting in his face and being silent)....a T maybe or maybe not but not what he did. Until TV was in his face, the coach's actions were only minor. It was only after TV jumped in his face that the coach got irate.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Mar 02, 2014 at 03:45am.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 03:34am
Official Forum Member

And then, when Teddy went back to admininster the throw-in, Cronin said - (very easily read on his lips) "That's a b**ls**t call, and you know it!" - to which, I seemed to perceive a quick smile/grin on Teddy's face - and I got the impression that he restrained a full smile because he knew the cameras were on him.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 08:30am
Courageous When Prudent

TV sold the call so that everyone knew the exact reason UCONN was getting the ball. Cronin acted an ass over an OOB call he couldn't even see. He got an unexpected response, oh well, get over it.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 10:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
TV sold the call so that everyone knew the exact reason UCONN was getting the ball. Cronin acted an ass over an OOB call he couldn't even see. He got an unexpected response, oh well, get over it.
My opinion is that TV overreacted. Oh well. I still think the occasional overreaction from an official is a good thing.

I would have just gone to the T.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 11:12am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Cronin acted an ass over an OOB call he couldn't even see.
Exactly. I was thinking through what I would have done if I were TV and decided that I would probably just laugh at the coach and tell him that if he wants to complain perhaps he should have a better view of the play. Cronin appeared to be at the 28 foot line, no where close to having a good angle.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 11:31am
Do not give a damn!!

I just heard Cronin's comments on ESPN about the incident.

Boo freakin hooo is my feelings.

Now a coach wants to be upset over how he is treated in relationship to another coach like Jim Boehiem or other high profile coaches. Really, JB got thrown out of a game recently. And I love that attitude when coaches as a way of doing business, treat us differently all the time. And guess what, we have to get over it. If we don't we will not be around very long or deal with it very well. We have to get over how we are treated.

I am so sick of coaches and fans thinking we have to "walk away" from every confrontation because it makes them feel better. If they do not want our response, stop being an ass!!!! That will solve the problem. Because if you came at an individual in any other aspect of life, you would get your behind kicked or you would have other consequences for your actions.

It gets more and more funny.