The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 01:08am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Follow up.
Favorite part: "If I get one it's cuz I want one, or it's uncalled for -- on an officials part". LMFAO.

Also enjoyed "They need to leave me alone." Right back atcha Mick.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Teddy V is looking gooooood!

The dude is slim and trim. Didn't recognize him.

If assignors were tired of his schtick, and wasn't any good, he wouldn't get games.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Just another whiny, self-righteous coach who doesn't do anything wrong just passing the buck to anyone but themselves for their actions.

I don't get the double standard that coaches can act like turds but an official who bites back is so unfathomable. We are all human and to expect such a disparity between the two groups at all times is unreasonable.

I am yet to hear of an basketball official (varsity or higher) making contact with a coach/player, running at a coach yelling, throwing chair/clipboard, cursing at a coach, complaining after every coaching decision, etc., etc., etc..

If we threw 1/10 the tantrums coaches threw basketball games would be much more enjoyable than they already are.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 10:12am
Courageous When Prudent

I agree deecee, we are not robots. Sometimes we just react, but I've never seen an official do something egregious.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Something was said by Cronin that caused the reaction by Valentine.
Very few people know what was said.

However, how many millions now have seen TV jump in Cronin's face?

Who looked like the aggressor?

I also agree that if any of us here did something like that....our schedules would be severly reduced, if not eliminated.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I also agree that if any of us here did something like that....our schedules would be severly reduced, if not eliminated.
Yes, but this is comparing apples to oranges.

Big-time D1 officials are expected to put up with more crap than any of us are.

TV gave the coach multiple times to shut up and accept the call. And, like others have said, we don't know what the coach said to TV.

I don't have a big problem with it.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 11:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Who looked like the aggressor?
Anyone that knows the game knows the coach said something. Who cares honestly who is aggressive or not. We get accused as officials of doing our job and someone says we had no business dealing with the situation the way we did. If TV had called technical foul, someone here would have accused him of having "rabbit ears" or that the T was not warranted.

Quote:
And no, I have approached a coach before and was accused of getting in his face (even though I just turned to hear the coach and ask him a question), my schedule not only got better, I have gotten better games and worked similar places in the playoffs I have in the past. Some think I will go further. And the situation I mentioned was brought to the attention of the IHSA and with the assignor. The assignor made sure me and some guys this year who I have worked with in the playoffs "better games" from his point of view so that he can get us more recognition for further post season assignments. And my situation was not on national television or even local television.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If TV had called technical foul, someone here would have accused him of having "rabbit ears" or that the T was not warranted.
I believe the number of people making that accusation would have been amazingly small - and all of them would have been wrong. Coach went WAY over the line and did so very quickly ... and then stayed there for a very very long time.

Only reason TV didn't issue the T had to have been a "First T buys the beer" bet in the locker room.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Coach went WAY over the line and did so very quickly ... and then stayed there for a very very long time.
Yes, the coach went WAY over the line, but ONLY after TV jumped in his face and escalated the situation. Before that, his actions were suspect, but not egregious. If TV gives him the T then, it would look like TV baited him....and he probably did.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 01:17pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If TV had called technical foul, someone here would have accused him of having "rabbit ears" or that the T was not warranted.
I think he could have called a T for the run the coach made down the sideline. That was akin to the run Kevin Ollie made at Mike Stuart a couple weeks ago. Even after Teddy went to the sideline and repeated the signal -- if he walks away and the coach continues it's an easy T.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 01:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Yes, the coach went WAY over the line, but ONLY after TV jumped in his face and escalated the situation. Before that, his actions were suspect, but not egregious. If TV gives him the T then, it would look like TV baited him....and he probably did.
It was an out of bounds call. No reason to go crazy over an out of bounds call where the official is standing right there and telling you why he made the call. I get disagreeing with the call, but acting like it was a tragedy with 10 minutes left in the game. And he is losing. A technical could have made the lead a lot worse for his situation. And he was not getting the ball back after the T.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The coach went way over the line LONG before TV got in his face. You don't go apeshit over a 50/50 OOB call that you can't even see from where you are and get away with it.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 01:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
How did TV bait Cronin? Cronin initiated the confrontation. The most TV did was get close to Cronin.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 01:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I think he could have called a T for the run the coach made down the sideline. That was akin to the run Kevin Ollie made at Mike Stuart a couple weeks ago. Even after Teddy went to the sideline and repeated the signal -- if he walks away and the coach continues it's an easy T.
He could have and that does not mean the criticism would not have been there. And TV is a big man, he did not come running 15 feet to get in anyone's face. He was already standing there.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

I love some of the revisionist representations of what happened here in the effort to defend TV. Why the insistence on defending him when what he did was so obviously out of line. Being a big dog doesn't give him the right to do what he wants.

All you have to do is look at the video. Cronin objected to the call with a reaction that was certainly suspect or even T-worthy, no question. If you're going to call the T there fine. Rather than penalize that or defuse the situation, TV steps right in front of him in his face, says something (who knows what), then Cronin's reaction is 10x what it was before. It is all on video if anyone cares to look.

If a player/coach got in someones face with the same stance, causes such a reaction, we'd all be taking action against that player/coach...probably even tossing them.

I have no beef with TV and generally respect his game, but he was wrong on this one.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Mar 03, 2014 at 04:34pm.