The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 22, 2014, 11:16pm
(Something hilarious)

Use of own backboard (not a try)

Link to play here

Someone set me straight on this. Either way. Legal or violation.

Mr. Adams is making it sound like it should be a violation in his latest video bulletin. I want to know what makes it illegal per what's printed.
Old Sat Feb 22, 2014, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

A.R. 108. A1 intercepts a pass and dribbles toward A’s basket for a breakaway layup. Near A’s free-throw line, A1 legally stops and ends his dribble. A1 throws the ball against A’s backboard and follows the throw. While airborne, A1 rebounds the ball off the backboard and dunks.

RULING: The play shall be legal since the backboard is located in A1’s front court, which A1 is entitled to use. (Rule 9-13.1 and 5-1.1 and .6)
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Feb 22, 2014, 11:22pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
A.R. 108. A1 intercepts a pass and dribbles toward A’s basket for a breakaway layup. Near A’s free-throw line, A1 legally stops and ends his dribble. A1 throws the ball against A’s backboard and follows the throw. While airborne, A1 rebounds the ball off the backboard and dunks.

RULING: The play shall be legal since the backboard is located in A1’s front court, which A1 is entitled to use. (Rule 9-13.1 and 5-1.1 and .6)
Mkay. I've also cited NFHS Case Play 9.5(a). NCAA-W A.R. 68, NCAA-M A.R. 71 to support what you just asserted. I need someone to tell my why it'd be a violation. Which is what I'm gleaning from that Coordinator's question on that bulletin.
Old Sat Feb 22, 2014, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
Mkay. I've also cited NFHS Case Play 9.5(a). NCAA-W A.R. 68, NCAA-M A.R. 71 to support what you just asserted. I need someone to tell my why it'd be a violation. Which is what I'm gleaning from that Coordinator's question on that bulletin.
It isn't a violation...you only get into issues when you throw the ball off an opponent's backboard.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sat Feb 22, 2014, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In the video posted the player doesn't remain airborne. He catches the "rebound" and lands on the floor before attempting a shot.

I think it's an illegal dribble and a violation.
Old Sat Feb 22, 2014, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
In the video posted the player doesn't remain airborne. He catches the "rebound" and lands on the floor before attempting a shot.

I think it's an illegal dribble and a violation.
I saw the play. The play is still legal...that throw against the backboard is a try.

*added*
You should look at the basketball rules fundamentals:

S. A ball that touches the front face or edges of the backboard is treated the same as touching the floor inbounds, except that, when the ball touches the thrower's backboard, it does not constitute a part of the dribble.

The play in question would only be a violation if he was throwing the ball off his opponent's backboard.

Last edited by APG; Sun Feb 23, 2014 at 01:50am. Reason: added basketball rules fundamental
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 12:01am
AremRed

Quote:
that throw against the backboard is a try
Per NFHS 4-41-2, "A player is trying for goal when the player has the ball and in the official's judgment is throwing or attempting to throw for goal."

That is not a try, that is an intentional self pass. Thus, travelling.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Per NFHS 4-41-2, "A player is trying for goal when the player has the ball and in the official's judgment is throwing or attempting to throw for goal."

There's no such thing as a self pass under NFHS/NCAA rules.

Sure you could try and show you've read the rule book and not judge that a try...and you'll be in the small minority.

Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 01:54am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I saw the play. The play is still legal...that throw against the backboard is a try.

In the NCAA video, Adams states that A1's throw off the backboard is not a try.

A1 obviously travels prior to the throw, though.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
In the NCAA video, Adams states that A1's throw off the backboard is not a try.

A1 obviously travels prior to the throw, though.
Well that shows why I shouldn't comment on NCAA videos.

Also, here's the NFHS case book play:

9.5 SITUATION: A1 dribbles and comes to a stop after which he/she throws the ball against: (a) his/her own backboard; (b) the opponent’s backboard; or (c) an official and catches the ball after each.

RULING: Legal in (a); a team’s own backboard is considered part of that team’s “equipment” and may be used. In (b) and (c), A1 has violated; throwing the ball against an opponent’s backboard or an official constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it strikes the official or the board. (4-4-5; 4-15-1, 2; Fundamental 19)

Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 06:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Haven't We Discussed This Before, Ad Nauseam ???

Quote:
... a team’s own backboard is considered part of that team’s “equipment” and may be used.
May be used to do what? As Billy Shakespeare's Hamlet would say, "Ay, there's the rub". And why the quotation marks around equipment?

Many Forum members have tried to plead the case that something like this should be considered a try, even when it really isn't, but there's nothing in the rules that say that this should be considered a try. Note that the case play cited above avoids the word "try".

"Equipment"? So if I end my dribble, and bounce the ball of my headband, a piece of my team's equipment, then that means that I can legally dribble again?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 23, 2014 at 07:14am.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

*added*
You should look at the basketball rules fundamentals:

S. A ball that touches the front face or edges of the backboard is treated the same as touching the floor inbounds, except that, when the ball touches the thrower's backboard, it does not constitute a part of the dribble.

The play in question would only be a violation if he was throwing the ball off his opponent's backboard.
Quote:

Well now I'm more confused.

So it's not a dribble.

And in my judgement, it's not a try.

What the hell is it? Can the player dribble again?

I'm fine with the interpretation that it's a legal play, I'm just trying to fully understand why.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 10:20am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Where is the "self pass" prohibited in the rules?

For that matter, where is it defined?
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 10:23am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
Well now I'm more confused.

So it's not a dribble.

And in my judgement, it's not a try.

What the hell is it? Can the player dribble again?

I'm fine with the interpretation that it's a legal play, I'm just trying to fully understand why.
Because they don't want to void that great dunk where the athletic stud uses the backboard to look even more awesome.

Now, Adams seems to be splitting hairs and saying the violation should be called if the player lands after catching it rather than going straight to the dunk.

Frankly, the same rules apply, and if one is a violation, there's no rule justification for differentiating between the plays.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Well it's clearly not a shot, I think we would all agree with that.

And I'm sure if he did this same thing and the ball had contacted the rim, we would NOT reset the shot clock.

And it's not a pass, since a pass by rule is to another player.

So the part of the rule that I think is important is "In order for a pass to be completed, the ball shall touch another player." (4-24 NCAA)

To me this is the same as Player A1 throwing a ball toward Player A2. Realizing that B2 is about to steal it he hesitates and lofts it. A1 then proceeds to catch the ball himself after taking a number of steps. The ball never touches the ground.

So I'm just visualizing the play without the ball striking the backboard.

What would your ruling be in my situation? And if you rule it differently then the play posted, why?