The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

No One Saw The Ball Go In

Lob pass from 3 point area. Pass is up near the rim. Net moves. Kid for the defense grabs it and then takes it out for a throw-in. That team then goes down and scores a quick bucket.

The team that threw the lob is yelling for 3 points. Clock guy puts up 3. No official gives any signal that the ball went in.

After the the "quick bucket" the coach of the team that was on D when the lob was thrown says "why did no one give a 3 signal?"

Officials get together and determine that none of them saw it go in. They ask the official scorekeeper and she says she thinks it went in. So they keep the 3 up there.

Let's say she said she didn't see it go in. Now you have the 3 officials and the official scorekeeper (and the clock guy) say they didn't see it go in.

Correctable error. Caught it in time, correct?

So you erase the 3 but keep the 2 for the other team and now it's possession to the team that had the 3 incorrectly awarded, correct?
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

If no one saw it go in AND the scorekeeper isn't sure then it should not be 3 points. this begs the question that when the kid took the ball for an inbounds as if the basket was made why didn't any of the officials whistle a violation here
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
If no one saw it go in AND the scorekeeper isn't sure then it should not be 3 points. this begs the question that when the kid took the ball for an inbounds as if the basket was made why didn't any of the officials whistle a violation here
That phrase doesn't mean what you think it means. Look it up and learn something today.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 01:27pm
Archaic Power Monger

This case has some relevant information.

2.10.1 SITUATION L:

A1 jumps and releases a try for goal apparently from behind the three-point line. The try is successful. The covering official does not indicate a three-point try and does not signal three points after the goal. The Team A coach rushes to the table and requests a 60-second time-out to discuss a correctable error. It is determined neither official clearly observed A1’s location before he/she jumped to try.

RULING: No change can be made and two points are properly scored. The 60-second time-out remains charged to Team A. (5-8-4)

Based upon the language of the case play, I'd say that if it's known with certainty that the thrower was behind the three point line then three points can be awarded.

This is a correctable error and it was caught in time however there isn't a lot of concrete information to go on. None of the officials observed the ball go in and the scorer only "thinks" it went in. That's probably enough to go on in awarding the score since it seems the teams also reacted as if it went in but it still seems a little dicey to me.

If nobody from the table saw it either, we're on some shaky ground at that point. I'm not sure we can award points for something none of the officials saw.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That phrase doesn't mean what you think it means. Look it up and learn something today.
Nevada makes a pedantic point with accuracy. But laying aside his point, it does raise in my mind the question of why nobody called traveling or out of bounds when a defensive player grabbed the ball out of the air and walked out of bounds with it.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 01:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Let's say she said she didn't see it go in. Now you have the 3 officials and the official scorekeeper (and the clock guy) say they didn't see it go in.

Correctable error. Caught it in time, correct?

So you erase the 3 but keep the 2 for the other team and now it's possession to the team that had the 3 incorrectly awarded, correct?
Not a CE, but it's an error that is correctible up until the officials leave the court after the game is over. Once that happens, it's too late. In this case, you would resume from POI once the error is recognized.

This would be a scorer's error since they were counting points without input from the officials.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Nevada makes a pedantic point with accuracy. But laying aside his point, it does raise in my mind the question of why nobody called traveling or out of bounds when a defensive player grabbed the ball out of the air and walked out of bounds with it.
Lead had a battle in his lap. The two outside , for whatever reason, didn't see the ball go in. The kid who grabbed the ball thought it did so he took it out. All of the officials assumed the ball went in and the other two saw it. So no travel call.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Not a CE, but it's an error that is correctible up until the officials leave the court after the game is over. Once that happens, it's too late. In this case, you would resume from POI once the error is recognized.

This would be a scorer's error since they were counting points without input from the officials.
Actually, this could be either a correctable error or a bookkeeping mistake.

If the try or thrown ball was from beyond the arc and the officials have knowledge of that fact, then one of them should have signaled for 3pts when the ball went in. The complication is the fact that none of the officials observed the ball enter the basket. The failure of an official to properly signal and award three points would be a CE and it is still within the proper timeframe to handle.

If none of the officials observed from where the ball was thrown, then the proper amount of points to award is only two and this means that the scorer has made an error by awarding the extra point on his own without the proper signal from the game officials. This is a bookkeeping error and can be corrected at any point under the jurisdiction of the officials ends.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 01:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Actually, this could be either a correctable error or a bookkeeping mistake.

If the try or thrown ball was from beyond the arc and the officials have knowledge of that fact, then one of them should have signaled for 3pts when the ball went in. The complication is the fact that none of the officials observed the ball enter the basket. The failure of an official to properly signal and award three points would be a CE and it is still within the proper timeframe to handle.

If none of the officials observed from where the ball was thrown, then the proper amount of points to award is only two and this means that the scorer has made an error by awarding the extra point on his own without the proper signal from the game officials. This is a bookkeeping error and can be corrected at any point under the jurisdiction of the officials ends.
If two of the officials were certain the ball was thrown from behind the arc but none actually saw the ball go in, I've got a bookkeeping error if it's determined later that the ball did not go in.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If two of the officials were certain the ball was thrown from behind the arc but none actually saw the ball go in, I've got a bookkeeping error if it's determined later that the ball did not go in.
The officials permitting the throw-in without any signal or whistle is what they normally do following a successful 2pt goal. That seems to be the officials improperly awarding a score to me.

If it is later determined that the ball did not go in, then I would use the CE timeframe for correcting it and removing the points. If this has passed, then the 2pts must stand.

In that scenario, the only part which could be ruled a bookkeeping mistake is the scorer crediting 3pts instead of two. That could and should be changed at any future point in the game.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 04:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

As The Lead, Keep Your Eyes On the Rebounders ...

Twice, in my career, I've had something odd like this happen to me, both times when I was in the lead position, keeping my eyes down, observing the rebounders, like I'm supposed to. Luckily, both times, my partner, the trail, helped me out.

First time, as the lead, I see, with my peripheral vision, the net wiggle, and then the ball goes out of bounds on the endline. I assumed that the ball went in. A player from the nonshooting team picks up the ball and looks oddly at me, and I motion him to just make his throwin, which he does. My partner, the old trail, sounds his whistle to tell me that that ball didn't go in the basket, it just whipped the bottom of the net on its way out of bounds.

Second time, again as the lead, a long distance shot just goes out of bounds on my endline, and I sound my whistle and make the out of bounds call. My partner now comes to me and asks me why I sounded my whistle on a made basket. He said that the net was so loose that it didn't move a bit as the ball just shot right through it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 05:39pm.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 05:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

My Worst Play Of The Season ...

This happened last week. I got distracted, didn't do what I was supposed to do, and, thus, I was a bad partner.

I'm the trail, and the ball handler comes from my primary and gets hammered, in the act of shooting, and falls down, near the free throw line. I sound my whistle for the foul, and then hear, a split second later, faintly, my partner's whistle from the lead. Around here, we usually let the lead take double "fist" whistles, but because my whistle was noticeably earlier, and louder, than his, I figure that he's going to give me the call, but he doesn't, and comes out strong with his preliminary signals, so I go into my noncalling mode and identify the shooter, who is in a pile of players, on the floor, at the free throw line.

As he moves toward the reporting area he stops, and asks me, while I'm still at my trail position, "Who was the foul on, and did the ball go in?". Since I was in my noncalling mode, all I could tell him was, "34 is the shooter". Because I was distracted by the double whistle, my surprise that he took the call, and with a pile of players, possibly injured, on the floor, I had failed to not only remember who the fouler was, I had also forgotten about my responsibility, as the trail, to observe if the ball went in, or didn't go in.

All I could tell him was that maybe the table could help in out with both questions, and luckily, they were able to answer both questions for him (the ball went in).

I gave up trying to remember both the fouler, and the foulee, many years ago after screwing up by switching the numbers around many times in the early part of many career (my brain just can't do it, seriously). So I'm not really upset with myself about that part. I'm really upset at myself that I failed, as the trail to see if the ball went in, or didn't go in. That's my job, and I failed miserably at it. I was not good partner in that game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Hold on. This was a lob pass, not a try. It doesn't matter where it came from. It should be 2 or 0 not 3 or 0.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Before chastising others with sophomoric commentary that has nothing to do with what we discuss here, a quick fact check yourself would be advised. The phrase referenced has several meanings, one of which is exactly as used by deecee.

As to the situation at hand, I do not see this as a CE. Based on the information from the table (and reactions of the players) it seems that a goal has been scored but there is no knowledge of from where. In this case only 2 points should be awarded, which should be clarified by the R asap but could happen anytime before the game ends since it is a scoring error. All other action still stands so I woud not erase the other teams basket nor cancel any fouls etc. that may have occured.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 06:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Confused In Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanicsman View Post
Hold on. This was a lob pass, not a try. It doesn't matter where it came from. It should be 2 or 0 not 3 or 0.
Didn't that rule change about fifteen years ago?