The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Clock situation, end of OT

Home team down 3, inbound, bad pass, H1 saves the ball, V1 takes it for a lay up, foul, basket goes in. Home team down 5, 4 seconds left.

I am administering the free three throw, "Ladies, basket was good. We have 1 throw, wait for the hit, go get it."

V1 misses, everyone stands around, clock doesn't start, V1 picks it up for a layup. Home team down 7. Clock still not started. I should have called the game. We blow the whistle, partner instructs table to start clock on inbound. Inbound, horn blows, game over.

Besides calling the game after the free throw, how would you handle this?

pfan
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 11:20am
Courageous When Prudent

Change: " "Ladies, basket was good. We have 1 throw, wait for the hit, go get it."

to: "1 shot"

All the extra verbiage probably confused them.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
Home team down 3, inbound, bad pass, H1 saves the ball, V1 takes it for a lay up, foul, basket goes in. Home team down 5, 4 seconds left.

I am administering the free three throw, "Ladies, basket was good. We have 1 throw, wait for the hit, go get it."
V1 misses, everyone stands around, clock doesn't start, V1 picks it up for a layup. Home team down 7. Clock still not started. I should have called the game. We blow the whistle, partner instructs table to start clock on inbound. Inbound, horn blows, game over.

pfan
First, I wouldn't say all that.

Second, when you (or partner) sees that the clock didn't start, yell at the operator and start a count. If the clock still doesn't start, end the game when you get to 5.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post

pfan

Under 5-10-1 you can end the game only if you have "definite information" that at least 5 seconds had passed. Do you KNOW that they stood around that long? You also could have reduced the time by any amount less than 5 seconds that you KNEW to have passed. Under the circumstances, with a 7 point game & 5 seconds on the clock, your "Inbound, horn blows, game over" solution seems appropriate.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

I learned the "less is better" way to indicate the number of shots on FTs on this board a long time ago. It was one of the best things I learned early on. I just say "Two shots" or "One shot" when administering a free throw.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 12:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Change: " "Ladies, basket was good. We have 1 throw, wait for the hit, go get it."

to: "1 shot"

All the extra verbiage probably confused them.
Even that's more than I say:

"ONE!"
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 12:50pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

"ONE!"
I have gone to this. I like it much better.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
even that's more than i say:

"one!"
+1

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

"ONE!"
Agree. My mechanic is state number of throws only and indicate visually in the middle of the lane, bounce ball to thrower, back out of lane, repeat number of throws and indicate number of throws towards the table and T.

Anyone gonna go with 8.6.1 and kill it immediately and resume with AP? The case play states the official gave incorrect information, but in this situation, the players all *heard* incorrect information, even though it was correct information.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 01:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathReferee View Post
Agree. My mechanic is state number of throws only and indicate visually in the middle of the lane, bounce ball to thrower, back out of lane, repeat number of throws and indicate number of throws towards the table and T.

Anyone gonna go with 8.6.1 and kill it immediately and resume with AP? The case play states the official gave incorrect information, but in this situation, the players all *heard* incorrect information, even though it was correct information.
Confirm the number with your partner visually before bouncing the ball to the player.

Once I back out, I'm done with that throw.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I have gone to this. I like it much better.
In a regular high school game...I'm right there with you. In a rec game I will tell them when they can move because some leagues require contact and some at the release. So for rec ball I add either "let it hit" or "on the release".
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 02:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
First, I wouldn't say all that.

Second, when you (or partner) sees that the clock didn't start, yell at the operator and start a count. If the clock still doesn't start, end the game when you get to 5.
This
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 02:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
In a regular high school game...I'm right there with you. In a rec game I will tell them when they can move because some leagues require contact and some at the release. So for rec ball I add either "let it hit" or "on the release".
I make sure they know at the beginning of the game, then they won't need to be reminded every time we shoot FTs.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
My experience in these leagues (at least after week 1) is that they know this rule and don't need to be reminded. Now ... if YOU need to be reminded and repeating it helps... go for it!

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Tj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathReferee View Post

This is what should've happened. Two or One is all I say.