The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Clock Situation

Last night, Boys V game. Close game, 3:28 left in 2nd half.

I am lead. A passes ball in from baseline in BC and starts dribbling up court. As A1 reaches mid court I notice clock hasn't started so I pause to make sure then blow it dead. As I blow the whistle, the clock operator starts the clock. I don't notice this until the clock reads 3:25 as I am approaching my partner near top of key. I look over and tell clock operator to stop the clock. He doesn't, just looks at me with this goofy blank stare. I repeat, "Please stop the clock". Finally he stops it at 3:15.

I'm pretty sure I know what to do but want to hear what you guys say.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Whatever your count was at the time you blew the play dead, subtract that number of seconds from 3:28 and go to POI. Play on.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post

I am lead. A passes ball in from baseline in BC and starts dribbling up court. As A1 reaches mid court I notice clock hasn't started so I pause to make sure then blow it dead. As I blow the whistle, the clock operator starts the clock. I don't notice this until the clock reads 3:25 as I am approaching my partner near top of key. I look over and tell clock operator to stop the clock. He doesn't, just looks at me with this goofy blank stare. I repeat, "Please stop the clock". Finally he stops it at 3:15.

If the ball was still in the back court, your partner, now the T, should have been counting for 10 seconds. Not that it is a perfectly timed 1, 2, 3... second count, I would ask how many seconds he counted with his hand until you blew the play dead. Whatever that number is, I would take that off of 3:28 and take the ball out of bounds closest to the spot of the ball when you blew the clock down. So if it was 5 seconds the T counted, I would reset the clock to 3:23. I believe this is the correct procedure for such situation. even if it isn't, both coaches will most likely believe you are correct as this would make sense. It is a table error, so coaches would be more pissed at the table than they would be you either way.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

This one is easy. An officials count can be used as definite knowledge as to the amount of time that has elapsed. Get the count info from your partner, do the math- POI.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. We left the time at 3:15 and went to the arrow.

JK!!!! haha, sorry if I gave anyone a heart attack. Thanks for confirming our ruling. He counted 4 so we put it at 3:24
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks guys. We left the time at 3:15 and went to the arrow.

JK!!!! haha, sorry if I gave anyone a heart attack. Thanks for confirming our ruling. He counted 4 so we put it at 3:24
I'm gonna sue you now, you gave me a heart attack and now I'm waiting for the ambulance to arrive.

JK
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Follow your partner's (or your's) BC count. Using that count you have the definitive knowledge of the time to take off the clock.