The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Heya Fellas,

Here is the situation in a HS game with a 5-person crew.
A 1/G at the B2. There is 1.8 seconds left in the first half. The R has notified both the head coach of A and the QB that the clock will start on the ready following a lengthy officials timeout. A is at the line and ready to go when the R blow the RFP. The clock is behind the BJ.

The clock never starts on the RFP and after 3-4 seconds, A snaps the ball and is stopped short of the end zone.

Question: How do you handle the clock not starting or any other thoughts....I hope I got enough information here for you....

UE
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

With 5 (and occasionally with less when it can be worked out), one of us usually handles the clock on the field, just in case, in situations near the end of a quarter. On this one, whistle blows, and 2 seconds later, whoever's got the clock blows it dead.

This almost exact situation happened here just last night. But it was a whopping 10 seconds (and the 2nd quarter, making this more important). R blew it ready after a 1st down (on defense's 20 yd line or so), and LJ (3-man crew) started his watch. R and I (HL) are both winding our arms like windmills, to no avail. 10 seconds pass without the offense snapping the ball. LJ blows it dead - halftime.

We usually tell both coaches we keep the clocks on the fields in case of mechanical (or human) error as a backup. We got no argument from the coaches on this one.

Once you let them snap it, though, you've got to let them play it - too late to fix it then.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

I never trust the clock; therefore, my LJ (4-man) keeps the clock all game.

In the situation mentioned I would direct my LJ to become the official clock. If his clock expires before the snap he would blow the whistle.

My personal opinion it is better to confront the possibility than deal with the mistake. When the clock failed to start someone on the coaching staff noticed. After the play went the coach who was harmed by the clock would have lost his hearing and no matter what you say, he would not hear.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 09:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Frankly, I won't go that far. Once we get down under 2 minutes, I'll watch the clock or have the BJ watch the clock, depending on what side the clock sits. Keeping the clock the entire game with a stadium clock in place seems to be overkill at the high school level.

Rich
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Frankly, I won't go that far. Once we get down under 2 minutes, I'll watch the clock or have the BJ watch the clock, depending on what side the clock sits. Keeping the clock the entire game with a stadium clock in place seems to be overkill at the high school level.

Rich
Know we are taking on a responsibility that may not be necessary; however, that is not always the case as some schools may not have a functioning clock for whatever reason and by having my LJ do it as routine reduces the chance for error when it is necessary.

Also, there have been times outside two minutes when the clock operator runs off seconds and the coach goes crazy. It is so easy to calm him down by saying, "Coach, no problem, we have the clock right here on the field and we have reset it for the correct time." Most coaches are impressed but most of all they are quiet for about 30 seconds -- and that's a lot in a game.